1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone here believe that we are Christians because our parents are Christians?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JustChristian, Aug 30, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I believe that the answer to this question would be an unanimous NO. Muslims, however, believe that children in Muslim families are Muslim. A debate is going on whether the Democratic nominee for President is a Muslim because his step-father was one and because when he was a 1st through 4th grader he lived in Indonesia, the country which has the largest Muslim population in the world. There are differing accounts on whether he might have accompanied his father to Fri. prayers or occasionally a service at the mosque. What difference does that make? I haven't found anything to suggest that his mother was a practicing Muslim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

Barack Hussein Obama II[1] was born on August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr., a Black Kenyan of Nyang’oma Kogelo, Siaya District, Kenya, and Ann Dunham, a White American from Wichita, Kansas. His parents met while attending the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where his father was a foreign student.[2] They separated when he was two years old and later divorced.[3] Obama's father returned to Kenya and saw him only once more before dying in an automobile accident in 1982.[4]

After her divorce, Dunham married Lolo Soetoro, and the family moved to Soetoro's home country of Indonesia in 1967, where Obama attended local schools in Jakarta until he was ten years old. He then returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents while attending Punahou School from the fifth grade in 1971 until his graduation from high school in 1979.[5] Obama's mother returned to Hawaii in 1972 for several years and then back to Indonesia for her fieldwork. She died of ovarian cancer in 1995.[6]

Punahou School, once known as Oahu College, is a private, co-educational, nonsectarian college preparatory school located in Honolulu in the U.S. State of Hawaii. With about 3,700 students attending the school, in kindergarten through the twelfth grade, it is the largest independent school in the United States.[1]

Founded in 1841, Punahou School was originally a school for the children of Congregational missionaries serving throughout the Pacific region. It was known as Oahu College from 1859 to 1934. Before plans were made for a new middle school complex, America Online founder and Punahou School graduate of 1976 Steve Case donated ten million dollars. [13]

In The Audacity of Hope, Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents (whom Obama has specified elsewhere as "non-practicing Methodists and Baptists") to be detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his Kenyan father as "raised a Muslim," but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his Indonesian stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful."

The way I understand his life, he was not particularly interested in religion until:

In 1991, Obama joined the church [Trinity United Church of Christ] and walked down the aisle in a formal commitment of faith. Wright later married Obama and Michelle Robinson and baptized their two daughters.

Bottom line. Obama had a very difficult childhood in which his mother divorced his father two years after their marriage and he only saw his father again once before his father's death, His mother then married a man from Indonesia who was a Muslim in name only and moved to his homeland, Indonesia. Both his father and his step father became atheists. His mother was an atheist. Obama's religion was based on the influence of his maternal grandparents and his own beliefs. He professed Christianity and joined a Christian Church.

How can anyone call this man a Muslim? It's simply not true.

2. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

I will be brief , good post btw

"The Age of Accountability"

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just the fact that Obama supports killing 4,000 american babies a day is enough for me not to bother looking for any other reason not to vote for him.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world does your statement have to do with this thread?

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

How many babies a day did George Bush kill? How many innocent Iraqis did he murder?

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Back on target. Those who call Obama a Muslim are simply not in touch with the facts of his life.

7. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I won't go and call him a Muslim but in fact our mesage today at church (but not directed at Obama of course) Does get me to thinking In the book of James. Where he's speaking that there's more than just saying your a Christian but does your life refective of what you say with your mouth? James 2:14 say's 14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

My Question where are Obama's Fruit? Does he have any?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While we are on this subject, my question is where is McCain's fruit? Does he have any?

9. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Yes, I would say he does and being PRO LIFE and choosing someone who is also along with apposing same sex marriage is a start. You know believe the Bible is FULLY the Word of God. I would say Religious convictions as showing his fruit. Along with picking someone for his VP who not only say it but shows it in her life.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fruit is shown in actions in one's personal life, not in taking political positions.

11. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Ones Political Positions are chosen by our Convictions. If they are done correctly. As Christians we are to surrender to the Holy Spirit. For our answers. Maybe you feel differently and that's one of your choices I guess. I am not going to battle with you over this or any other issue If you make your own Choice it is you and from you they are OPINIONS but through Christ they are convictions. And backed by the Word of God.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These responses are way off the subject of this thread. I expect that the majority, if not everyone posting here, are Christian primarily because their parents influenced what they were taught. They, the people here, are Christian because they responded to those teachings and found Christ.

We are not Christian because our parents were/are Christian. But surely our parents influenced us.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Actually they are on topic. I think my original question was misleading. The point I was making is that just because Obama's father and step father were marginally Muslims at one point in their lives does not mean that he is a Muslim. Some here are trying to make that point and I'm arguing against it.

I won't argue that many if not most Christians were strongly influenced by their parents. I certainly was.

What I'm not especially trying to prove here is that Obama is an authentic Christian or for that matter that John McCain is or is not an authentic Christian. I do believe that Obama's work for the poor on the south side of Chicago would indicate that if he's had an authentic conversion experience. I believe that McCain's opposition to abortion could be viewed in the same way.

My primary point is that there's no evidence that Obama is a practicing Muslim.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree totally with you. :wavey:

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Say what? Fruit is shown in everything we do, even in the political stances we take and the immorality that we endorse by voting for folks that support those immoralities

Do some people really believe that the Bible doesnt apply to everything and every aspect of our lives? Even politics? Every politician and every government policy doesnt reflect God's Word, but that doesnt negate our responsibility as christians to apply God's Word to our political choices.

AJ

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What does obama's work with the poor have to do with whether he is a Christian or not? I know of Wiccans and atheists that do charitable work. Non christians are capable of doing good things also.

AJ

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I do believe that Obama's work for the poor on the south side of Chicago would indicate that if he's had an authentic conversion experience.

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

But his work is not PROOF that he has had an authentic conversion experience.

AJ

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me your works and I will show you your faith.

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

All works are not done as a result of faith, there are other motivations, some noble, some sinister.

How do you explain all of the actors that are either atheists or Scientologists or whatever, but yet they do lots of work for AIDS, African hunger ect?

Works should always follow faith, but faith is not a prerequisite.

AJ

#20 ajg1959, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008