1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone know Louis Berkhof?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 3, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Somebody recommneded his book on christian doctrine to me.
    I thought before I try to buy it I better ask.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Is he your new pastor?

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yeah right, he's my new pastor and my new Co-Pastor is Billy Graham. :thumbs:

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is about time you started moving towards discipleship.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

:confused:

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hope not, he died in 57.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Thank you, Deacon.

Somehow this is really a bit stupid, isn't it?
    I mean why do we as christians have to learn from other christians?
    If I take Grudem or Berkhof or any other guy and then simply adapt to his theology then I simply repeat what others say. Seems like the bible isn't that easy to understand after all.... :(
    It comes down to simply learning what others say the bible says and then going with it.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well I would state it another way. When you have the Truth and you are teaching others, you aren't teaching what you have to say about the Bible, but you are teaching the Truths of the Bible.

Now if you are teaching something that is against Scripture then you are teaching what you have to say about the Bible. If it's Truth then it's Truth no matter who says what.

I think a number of folks use the "it's just what someone has to say about the Bible" bit as an excuse not to learn.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But if the bible is so easy to understand then why do we even need teachers?
    Why are there a few teachers which understand it all and the rest is dumb and like sheep and has to listen to them? Pretty strange....

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I wouldn't say the Bible is easy to understand, especially when you get to the meat of the Word and then the strong meat of the Word! And I think that is why we have gifted teachers that when they die to self the Holy Spirit teaches through them.

I don't know why God set it up that way, but that is the way He has and so we just have to go with it.

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But most teachers teach very different things, they cannot all be right and be guided by God. God doesn't tell 1 person that it's so and so and then he tells another person something completely different.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Berkhof's works are excellent and are worthy reading, along with Grudem's works that were recommended as well as his larger "Systematic Theology." For a good, brief, but thorough systematic theology accessible to layman or clergy alike, consult Bruce Milne's "Know the Truth" or James Boice's "Foundations of the Faith."

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

EXACTLY!!!

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best Christians are not necessarily the most learned ones.
    The application of the Scriptures should be our highest priority.
    Ultimately the world be not influenced by my views of Calvinistism, Creationism or on end-times theory but by my display of my Saviors grace.

On the other hand, those that hunger and thirst after righteousness also long to know their Savior better and there is no better place than searching his word.

Reading the life works of others that have studied the Scriptures for decades seems prudent.

Rob

#16 Deacon, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

X,
    Ultimate truth and teaching come from the Holy Spirit.

John 16:13-14
    13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

If you have the Holy Spirit and a bible you will know the truth. Human teachers are wonderful and we can learn a lot from them, but God's word is the final authority.

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Man, I don't know the "truth". When I read the bible most things are totally unclear to me. It's not that I open the bible and everything jumps out at me and explains itself. I think even expecting something like this is illusionary. The bible isn't easy to understand at all, for me it's a very frustrating book.
    Ask 100 christians and you get 200 different opinions...

I am also not interested in learning all kinds of different theologies and all this. Schleimermacher and how they are all called.
    It's too late for this. I'm not going to become a theologian and study all different kinds of theology and how they influenced each other, this is way too much over my head. I think I should simply accept that I'll never have as much knowledge and understanding as others which have been studying theology for years, it's impossible. Somebody who plays tennis in his free time also can't be as good as a professional tennis player. There's no way I can learn all this stuff and I also don't know if you really have to know all these things. All the different schools of theology and their views and all that.
    This is really frustrating when you realize how little you know and I also don't think that it'll ever be different. Even if I tried to understand the bible I might draw totally wrong conclusions from the bible and then I'm not better than all those lay preachers which simply start teaching what they think is correct but when you compare this stuff to conservative theology then it's totally different. I think most charismatic lay preachers lack this deep understanding which real pastors have which studied theology and have a degree. They simply teach their own stuff, their own "revelations" and the people accept it as truth. And then this argument that it's all in the bible, lol. You can interpret so much into the bible. You can also say that it's in the bible that God has wings like a hen, this means he's a bird....
    Somehow all this stuff makes me sick. Where's the sense of even trying to understand the bible when the opinions are so contrary? Then it's only frustrating because you simply can't figure out what it really means. Or you simply read the bible and think that you understand everything correctly but this would also be a bit delusional or arrogant because why should you understand everything correctly and all the other christians which have a different opinion should be wrong?

#18 xdisciplex, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's understandable why you're so confused if you've been listening to so many different oppinions and theologians. I have been in that situation. That's why I told you to just stick with your bible. Stop reading other people's stuff and pray for God to open up His word for you. But, you will never understand God's word without the Holy Spirit who you receive at salvation. It is He who opens up the meaning for you. I was not raised in the church and knew absolutely nothing about God. Yet, I aways wanted to know God. In the process of seeking Him I have been exposed to all kinds of denominations and believe me it can cause extreme confusion. But after I accepted the Lord as savior, I asked God to just show me the truth. And He has! Through His word. I spend alone time with the Lord every morning. Just me and my bible. I have learned so much from Him. I still like to learn from other teachers like Charles Stanley, John Macarthur, Josh McDowell and others, but I know that even they are only human (like me) and can make mistakes. :) I have been part of the Baptist church for almost 5 years now. And even though I don't understand everything, there is no more confusion. All your confusion doesn't come from God, but outside influences. The gospel is for everyone not just the theologically brilliant.
    Blessings

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not all the Bible is necessarily easy to understand, witness the many interpretations of Scriptures we see all the time.

As to "Why are there a few teachers which understand it all..."??

Simple! To begin with: There simply ain't no such animal!! Which does tend to kinda' make the rest of the sentence irrrelevant, wouldn't you agree?

Now as to those 'wannabe' teachers who would like for you to think they know or understand it all... :rolleyes: :tonofbricks: :eek:

Ed

#20 EdSutton, Oct 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2006