1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone recommend the ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by El_Guero, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes, and Calvinism is the epitome of good Catholic priests expounding upon good Catholic Theology . . .

Now, do you like that logic?

Over the last 20 years - I have seen am upswing in Calvinism within Baptist circles. Ironically, this is the same time that there has also been an upswing in conservative Presbyterians and Episcopalians leaving their liberal churches and becoming Baptist (or non-denominational).

2. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Esv

I just bought my Wife an ESV Deluxe Heirloom Calfskin Bible for our fisrt anniv. and she just loves it. The type is 10pt easy to read and the quility of the Bible is super. I don't think you'll go wrong with an ESV.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Hawg_427, she probably likes it mostly because its from you! :love2: It seems that if you presented your wife with a NASU (or NIV, or HCSB, or NKJ) with deluxe leather cover, gold trim, and 12-point type, she'd like that too (maybe even better) :smilewinkgrin:.

Unfortunately, the fine quality of the outside materials doesn't necessarily insure the quality of material on the inside. If you will, please advance this discussion on the merits of the translation and your experience reading it.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the ESV is largely an untouched RSV , I thought I would quote some words from the Preface of the RSV . It has application to the ESV as well .

" ... is not a new translation in the language of today ... It is a revision which seeks to preserve all that is best in the English Bible [ read KJV - Rip ] as it has been known and used through the years . "

5. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

It seems that the ESV is not a new translation in the language of today. However, the ESV may be a comfortable first step toward accepting modern language text for those folks that may have been entrenched in the RSV or KJV for many years.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now that is a good point that I had not though of.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you FM . The ESV would be a natural for those RSV and KJV folks who might be in an adventurous mood . The ESV would be a good fit for them -- it would not be much of a departure from their Bible language .

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both the ESV and the HCSB have made a huge interpretive gesture towards resolving the conflict between Genesis one and two when they translated ‘eretz’ as land (rather than earth) in 2:5

Compare the KJV with the ESV:

When you read this pericope in the ESV you understand that rather than two creation stories, we have a story within a story, a clarification of what happened during ‘day’ six and there is no conflict between the two.

Rob

#48 Deacon, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2006
  9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I miss the conflict . . . earth or land . . . no conflict.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What came first? Plants or Man?

It depends upon what chapter you read in many of the older versions.

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.