1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Calvinism require a higher spiritual intellect, spirituality, and...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. Lawson, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So, some men love evil and others don't. right? Well that makes those who don't love darkness better than those who do. So you have God choosing those who are better.

You are going to heaven, Winman, because you are better than all those poor damned souls.

Congratulations.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't see as studying more makes you more accurate in what the bible teaches. After all, the Jehovah's Witnesses spend a lot of time studying also, and we all agree they miss the message of the scriptures.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why must you go into the sewer and compare Calvinism with the teachings of the JW's?

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I knew you would respond this way. I in no way insinuated that Calvinism's teachings were any were close to the teachings of the JW's. You are the one who responded as though there is a likeness with your doctrine and their damnable teachings.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is very true, Brother Rippon did jump to the conclusion that you were comparing Reformed Christians with JW's. This board has overextended themselves at times to insult one another's theology, for this both sides should repent & change for the better.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, being educated in theology in no way equates with spirituality or being correct. The average Catholic priest likely has more training in theology than all faiths including Calvinism, yet their doctrine is full of error.

It is actually Catholicism's reliance upon theology and the writings of men that is the primary cause of their error.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We are foreordained to be conformed into Christ's image. That is based solely on something already done (faith).

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It may be that many times it's the ones who study the most that know the least about what God requires from our lives. Although there is nothing wrong with bible study, in fact, it's commanded by God. There is a difference though between study and the worship of study.

I AM NOT talking about Calvinist, more about cults like the Mormons or the Jehovah's Witnesses and others, even the Seventh Day Adventist. I'm talking about getting so involved in the Hebrew or Greek that we fail to do what the English says.

God's requirements are not difficult to discover. We are told to repent of our sins and accept the offer of salvation that is in Christ Jesus.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The Bible says otherwise, and VERY clearly:

1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Gal 3:1-3 (ESV)

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Being conformed to Christ's image is sanctification for the believer...the one WITH faith in Christ already. An unbeliever cannot be conformed to Christ's image.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't see that this refutes what Webdog said. We receive the Spirit by hearing with faith. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

We hear the Gospel message; we respond by believing it, and we put our trust in the finished work of Christ.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This thread will be closed according to the wishes of the one who started it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.