1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Calvinism teach that we are born-again TWICE!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Apr 4, 2005.

1. russell55

russell55 New Member

No, it says that man has to believe in order to be saved. It doesn't even mention regeneration.

Any other cards in your hand?

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

Icthus,

I notice you did not respond to my challenge to lay your cards on the table. You said the notion that regeneration precedes faith is unbiblical. Ante up with your biblical proof.

Remember, quoting verses that say that salvation comes by regeneration won't work, because no one (even the dread Calvinist) disagrees with that.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

Is the word instantaneous (repeated over and over in this thread) in thy dictionary?

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You are thinking wrongly. I made no such distinction. The distinction is between regeneration and salvation.

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Larry;
    You seem so sure of your self. Maybe your the one who needs to learn.
    Salvation means to deliver
    Salvation defined;
    G4991
    σωτηρία
    sōtēria
    so-tay-ree'-ah
    Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally): - deliver , health, salvation, save, saving.
    Born defined
    G1080
    γεννάω
    gennaō
    ghen-nah'-o
    From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father, but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate: - bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.
    Yeap they all mean deliverd Your wrong.
    Being saved meas delieverd as well.
    We clearly must believe before we are saved. When are you going to learn
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

6. icthus

icthus New Member

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved"

This is pure Scripture. However, we find the Calvinist say, "Salvation (Regeneration) preceeds Faith".

How can they square this with the Word of God?

7. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Old regular;
    Funny I don't see the word "some" in that verse. Where oh where did that some go to anyhow? :rolleyes: :D Talk about adding to scripture :rolleyes:
    Mike

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Not at all. I am sure of Scripture however, and I am just dumb enough to believe what God said.

I have. That is why I can answer your questions with Scripture.

Who do you think disagrees with that? I certainly don't.

So what?

They all?? What are you referring to? What "all" mean delivered? And how I am wrong?

You already said that in this post. Why repeat it? Who do you think disagrees with this?

I already believe that. When are you going to learn??? This is completely unacceptable from you. It is shameful. You have been told over and over and over again taht we believe a person has to believe before they are saved. Quit pretending like we don't. That is dishonest for you to pretend that we don't believe one has to believe to be saved.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What is there to square? Notice again you make an inexusable error. You confuse salvation and regeneration. How many times do you have to be told that Calvinists do not believe they are the same thing. You and Mike have some serious issues with either understanding or integrity. You either don't understand plain English, or you lack integrity to be honest about what we believe. To be honest, I am not sure which. I would like to think the former, but that seems too preposterous.

It is unacceptable and inexcusable for you to continue to make this same error time and time again, after you have been corrected.

You don't have to agree with us, but you do have to properly represent what we believe.

Calvinists believe that we must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and we shall be saved. They don't deny that. It is dishonest for you to pretend that they do.

10. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Icthus;
    They can't, they just sort of get that glazed look in the eye as they pass it by. You know you have to read the Bible before you can make any intelligent decisions of what it says. Augustine and Calvin obviously didn't read it. They just kept contradicting them selves.

Mike [​IMG]

11. icthus

icthus New Member

Larry, I don't see any point in further discussion on this, as you have your blinkers on, and seem to be more interested in Calvinistic "theology", rather than what the Bible teaches

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Do you really believe that Calvin and Augustine didn't read Scripture?

13. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Larry;
    Obviously you can't accept the truth very well.
    You are the one in error Larry they both mean to be deliverd.
    Look out Icthus here come the insults.
    I question the same of you Larry :rolleyes:
    Your such a sweet fellow to say such nice things about people. Sort of like the arrogance displayed by your mentor James White or was it James Wrong [​IMG]
    By what authority do you correct? I don't consider you to be any better than anyone here but we know you do.
    Speaking about dishonesty;
    It is dishonest for you to pretend to be right when you know your completely wrong .
    You need to keep your day Job Larry.
    Mike :D

14. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Larry;
    They certainly didn't read it from cover to cover and come away with such nonsense.
    Just a verse here and one over there They mostly stuck with what they had been taught,Catholicism .
    They warmed it up and excluded the indulgences but that's about all. As the RCC evolved the seperation became larger. Oh yeah Calvinism waverd a bunch to. You no longer believe Baptism saves. or that you can inherit election.
    Good fruit doesn't come from a rotten tree. :rolleyes:
    Mike

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have been trying to get you to deal with Scripture but you refuse. I am not interested in Calvinistic theology in the least. I am interested in the Bible, but you won't actually discuss that, and you won't discuss what we believe.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Name one true thing that I have not accepted.

[/qb]Regeneration measn to be born, or born again, not delivered. Salvation means delivered.

I question the same of you Larry :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]You shouldn't because you have no reason to. I have never misrepresented your views. You have continually refused to address what we believe. You pretend that we believe something else.

By the authority of one who knows what Calvinism believes and teaches. You could find it out if you would listen. I don't care what you think of me. But I do care when you don't tell the truth about what we believe. I don't think I am any better than anyone else here. However, I do happen to know what calvinists believe.

It is dishonest for you to pretend to be right when you know your completely wrong .</font>[/QUOTE]Actually, on teh basis of God's Word, I know I am right. You won't deal with that. You keep making up positions that you wish we believed.

This is very disingenuous. It seems some type of prayer, but it refuses to acknowledge the ligh God has already shown.

If you wish to continue this discussion, then address what we believe. Don't make up our position. Be honest; be a man of integrity. I don't accept your type of argumentation from me, and you shouldn't accept it of yourself. This conversation deserves better.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

They certainly didn't read it from cover to cover and come away with such nonsense.
    Just a verse here and one over there They mostly stuck with what they had been taught,Catholicism .</font>[/QUOTE]
    Can you provide some proof of this? My suspicion is that this is a dishonest statement.

In fact, you have already admitted dishonesty. You said they didn't read it, now you say they did just not all the way through. Why make a statement that you know to be false?

And Catholicism is vastly different than Calvinism ... night and day difference.

18. icthus

icthus New Member

I have been trying to get you to deal with Scripture but you refuse. I am not interested in Calvinistic theology in the least. I am interested in the Bible, but you won't actually discuss that, and you won't discuss what we believe. </font>[/QUOTE]Right, lets try once again

you said on page 4 of this topic:

"Yes. So what? We all agree that regeneration means to be born again"

Do you still hold to this?

If yes, then can you explain to me from Scripture, without any fancy tricks, how Calvinists can teach that "Regeneration preceeds faith"? We all agree, that the English word "preceeds" means "to come before". How, then, can someone be "born again" BEFORE they have any faith? This brings us back to the Title that I gave this post. Can you give it to me straight from the Bible?

19. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Larry;
    Now this just isn't true you have referred to me as a Arminian. You have accused me of lying You have accused and accused and accused Just more false accusations.

Yeah right by one who admits that He never has read the institutes of Christianity by John Calvin. It's intresting you know so much about it with out reading and studying the basics. It sure didn't come from scripture :rolleyes:

Excuse me Larry you your self claim that regeneration comes before faith I proved that Salvation means to be delieverd and so does Regeneration. bet you didn't want to look at it because you didn't reply to it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have never admitted to any dishonesty. You seem to be loosing it Larry . :rolleyes:
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us all;
    Mike [​IMG]