1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Distant Starlight Prove the Universe Is Old?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 12, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to what I've read, there is more going on than meets the eye. The amount of matter that can be seen can't explain gravitational influences on the objects being observed, so theories concerning dark matter and dark energy have been developed to balance things out.

However, I've also read that recent observations have confirmed that 3d space is expanding, and that the expansion is accelerating, and it's carrying the objects with it and stretching out the light waves. It's like drawing two dots on a sheet of latex connected with a line, then stretching out the sheet. The ends of the lines are now further apart, but not because of the velocity of light, but because of the expansion of 3d space.

The book I'm reading describes a theory that eliminates the need for the gravity of dark matter and energy, and factors in instead the rate of the acceleration of the expansion of 3d space to explain the observations. That plus the fact that time passes at various rates depending on the location of one's clock in the universe is said to be an elegant solution to the "problem" of distant starlight in a young universe.