1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Fundamental=independent?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 22, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that there are fundamentalists who are honest and try to accurately interpret scripture while others are liars and live a life of deceit. Each one tends to congregate together though. I got a real eye-opener when I was in business. Some who appear straight as an arrow and talk loud about believing the Bible they were some of the worst about cheating others in business.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with Roger on this one. The KJVOs make up only a portion of the Fundamentalist sector of the Baptist galaxy. There are many Fundamental Baptists who take a satnce against the extremists in the KJVO camp. Many of us use the KJV as our standard pulpit version. But that's a matter of standardization not of inspiration.

#22 Squire Robertsson, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Even more true when you bear in mind that baptistlady02 used the term "fundamentalist Baptists" (with a small, lower case f).

4. BaptistLady02

BaptistLady02 New Member

What is wrong with using the term "fundamentalist Baptists" as opposed to "Fundamentalist Baptists"? Sorry but I'm really confused and feel as though I'm not welcome here or something.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nothing in wrong with your spelling. The point is that "Fundamental Baptist" might seen in a more denominational mindset while "fundamental Baptist" could be seen to include all Baptists who would consider themselves fundamentalist - including those in denominations.

When you enter a debate forum BL02 you enter into a debate. There are several "fellowship" forums here as wel.

You expressed an opinion that fundamental Baptist are focused on the KJV. People are going to disagree with you.

6. BaptistLady02

BaptistLady02 New Member

Ok, I understand that. Sorry for misinterpreting the conversation.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats the reason we "debate" in a Christian manner. But one thing for sure, we all work for the same Saviour and our purpose is to present Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world. I believe doctrine is important, but we need to be careful on "chasing chickens" on minor doctrines. The problem is what one person sees as a minor doctrine others see as a major doctrine.
    But never forget we all are able to learn from each other. Sometimes, we just have to agree to disagree.

Salty

PS, never feel you are not welcomed here - caus you are very welcomed!! Even if you dont root for the NY Mets

#27 Salty, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention Those of us who see a difference between a Fundamental Baptist and a Baptist Fundamentalist.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Exactly right, on all three sentences, here. :thumbs:

Ed

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry, you seem to have read far more into my post than I intended to be there. I didn't mean there was anything wrong with any of the terms used. I just meant that (as I understand it) "Fundamental Baptist", with upper case F, is a denomination in the U.S. On the other hand, "fundamental Baptist" (or "fundamentalist Baptist") could refer to any baptist who holds to the fundamentals of the faith. I suppose it is a bit like the difference between a Democrat and a democrat. A Democrat is a supporter of the U.S. Democratic party, but a democrat is a supporter of democracy.

Sorry for the confusion. I certainly did not mean to make you (or anyone else here) feel unwelcome.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't know of a Fundamental Baptist denomination. One of the traditional earmarks of fundamental Baptists is their fierce independence.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If there isn't one, then I am double sorry to BaptistLady02. :tear: Perhaps I was thinking of the Independent Fundamental Baptist denomination, or IFB. There seem to be plenty of references to that.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

IFB is a generic term in the US referring to a common thought and mindset. When IFBs move or travel they tend to look for other IFB churches - but there is no denominational structure. They often form loose local "associations" for fellowship.

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Roger. In those ways, they are similar to Grace Baptist churches here.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

There are even a few IFB churches in the UK, usually started by US missionaries. I am not familiar with the Grace Baptist churches. Are they mostly English or UK-wide?

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Using that particular name, mostly UK (to my knowledge). (They do not always have the word "Grace" in their titles, as my church does). But similar churches are to be found world-wide, with names like "Reformed Baptist", "Particular Baptist", etc.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Got the connection now - yup, the do sound similar to the IFBs in their structure.