1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Care Where Our Money Goes?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Oct 7, 2004.

1. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Continuing with James thought in the OP, even if we bought our KJVs from a publisher that only published KJVs, would we have to also determine where the paper came from, where the ink came from, and even whose raised the genuine cows the hides came from? Although I agree in principle, I still come to the same conclusion--given the society in which we are currently living, there is no way that some of our hard-earned money will not end up in the pockets of the devil. Of course, no way is my way. Everything is possible with God.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Note that the Amish have no problem doing commerce with unbelievers and people of other faiths in the "outside world". So, if one uses them as a litmus test, then it is still permissible to do engage in buying and selling of goods and services with ubelievers, heathens and sinners.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think what has been troubling me most is that we become dependant on the world, like Israel became dependent upon Egypt. We are supposed to be sojourners here, but we seem to think were here to stay. If God does call us out of Egypt, are we going to be willing to leave?

I don't think doing business with unbelievers is wrong. I think C4 is right in that we are rather called to be a light, and salt, and that we should show forth the love of Christ in our dealings with unbelievers. But I think that part of that would include not doing business with people who were in open rebellion, and certainly anti-christian. Should we go get our hair cut from someone who was openly homosexual just because they give the best haircuts? Where do we draw the line?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Here's one for you.

We went grocery shopping the morning. Coca-Cola Ireland is running a promotion where they have a 1.5litre Coke wrapped with Smirnoff vodka.

Knowing that - can you (or I) purchase a Coke product in good conscience?

Once again - great thread James!

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"the profits are going into a 'Send a stripper to college' scholarship fund."
    "
    Because it is much better if strippers don't receive an advanced education. [​IMG]

6. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

So is it wrong to buy a "Passion of the Christ" DVD because the profits go to Mel Gibson who is Catholic?

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Brother, I'm not even sure if I should be drinking Coca-Cola. I love the stuff, but I think I should start cutting it out. I recently quit smoking. I'm sure most baptists see smoking as a sin, but why is not so clear always. Theres a couple of reasons why smoking might be wrong, but I was finally convicted most of wasting God's money to persue a fleshly lust that didn't bring any glory to God whatsoever. But I sure wouldn't go near the vodka [​IMG]

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This is in a whole other class. I don't think you should buy the passion for many reasons, and not the least of which is because Mel Gibson needs another million dollars. But feel free to start a Passion of Mel Gibson thread if you would like to discuss it.

9. Sakrysta

Sakrysta New Member

I believe the Lord holds me responsible for what I do with the money he gives me, and he holds the next person responsible for what they do with the money once it leaves my hands. Naturally there are restaurants that I choose not to patronize, but those are more for personal testimony reasons than out of worry of what they'll do with the money I give them. (I don't frequent Hooters, for example. ;) )

The Lord deals with me much more often in what I spend my money on - far too many luxury items that I could do without and give more to him. I am constantly brought under conviction for my attachment to media items. [​IMG] But as to what Wal-Mart will do with my $20, that's one subject on which the Lord has given me peace. Usually with something along the lines of a parable about a mote and a beam - stop worrying about the world's sin and concentrate on your own. [​IMG]

10. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

James, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I was wondering though because our church,Southern Baptist, rented the local theatre and saw the movie, at the encouragement of our pastor.

Were we wrong because this was profiting a Catholic? Just wondering after reading some of the statements throughout this thread.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well brother, I believe that the movie the Passion is not doing nearly as much good as it is harm. Some people might get saved as the result of it, but at what cost? Christ says that the shepherd would leave the 99 to go and find the one lost sheep, but he didn't say he would throw the 99 to the wolves in the process. I haven't seen the movie, so I can only argue from what I have read about it. I'm not planning to watch the movie just to see if what I have read is correct or not.

There may also be some Christians who may have been raised to shun worldly entertainment, and perhaps have never even stepped into a theater, because their parents strove to raise them in a godly environment and to train them up to be strong committed Christians. Lets look at Seperated Sally. What happens to her convictions when their pastor pulls up in the bus and says 'Lets all go to the movies!'? She may decide that since its a movie about Jesus, and the church has rented the theater, there won't be any bad stuff going on in the theater, why not? So they go to the theater, and guess what... she enjoys it! What a novel thrill to someone who has actually resisted the temptation to go watch Hollywood filth all her life and has never experienced Panavision with THX Surround Sound! Now they start to watch more movies, and pretty soon that separated Christian is brought down to the same level as everyone else around her.

All this, and Mel Gibson and the Pope get to buy a new car? What a country! Seriously though, I think as a people, we Christians are going to have to start waking up to some spiritual realities around us that we have been ignoring for a long time. We truly are in a war against powers and principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places. Satan truly does walk about seeking whom he may devour.

I wish I had not been brought up in the manner that I was, and I'm trying hard to wean my poor family off of the junk. They fight it, it goes against their flesh. 'Don't take my precious TV away, Don't take my movies' But I can't let the world just come into my living room and preach its gospel to my family any more. One of these days real soon, the altar is going out the door by the curb. [​IMG]