1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God care??

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by er1001, Mar 19, 2004.

1. er1001

er1001 New Member

A few years ago i took my daughter to register at a non-denominational bible college in North Carolina.We got there on Sunday so decided to attend church on campus.When we entered the building there was a hallway with a second set of doors which were closed with an usher on each side.On the door was a sign for visitors which listed the requirments to enter.I asked the two men at the door if we were welcome,they assured me we were and we had a great time there worshopping with them.
    Later after registering our daughter i met the same man who was a usher when we had arrived.He said let me give you an example of why the sign.Some time back while recieving folks at the door a family ,father,mother and a number of children,asked to go in to the sanctuary dressed in beach ware.We said no not dressed like that.They said why not God doesn't care how we dress as long as we come.Well said the usher,maybe not,but we care.
    DOES GOD CARE ??

2. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

I look at it this way and this is just my opinion. If I were invited to the White House to meet the President, I’d wear my best suit or maybe even buy a new one. So why would I view the house of the Lord in any lesser light?

Granted we have some members at my church who are on our bus route that aren’t as fortunate as my family and I. They’re parents send them to church looking and smelling not too good, but we welcome them with open arms!

If a visitor came to my church dressed for a Jimmy Buffett concert, we’d welcome them, but they’ll learn quickly by the members’ appearance that we as a church are separated from world, in terms of music and preaching. They won’t see a Broadway Production at our church. We Christians are to be a peculiar people separated from the world.

If the visitor continued to attend eventually they would start to dress more appropriate. An example is a guy in his teens started coming to church I used to attend, with long hair and earrings and tee shirts. Slowly by the example being set by the other youth and members, his hair started getting shorter, the earrings disappeared and his dress became noticeable different. He was learning by example of how a Christian should act and separate him or herself from the world.

So to answer your question I believe God does care how we as Christians present ourselves to the world.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many secular establishments where, as a rule, one cannot go in wearing just tops, or t-shirts, or polo shirts, or sandals, or sneakers, and people respect those rules.
    I wonder if it so happens that these brethren who balk at the idea of dressing up proper for church and who hate dress codes will dare go to those secular establishments not in the appropriate attire required by that establishment if it so happens that a function they are invited to is to be held at that establishment ?

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

God cares, and folks ought to know better.

Lacy

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Uh-oh, ya'll better not look at me on Wednesday night then. After a full day of taking care of work, kids, critters and then fixing supper BEFORE church starts at 5:30 I don't usually have time to do more than wash my face and go.

I don't mean to sound flippant but, God knows exactly how I look all day long. I don't believe he expects me to change my appearance just to go to church. This is the way my life is at the moment. In time my circumstances might change some and allow me to dress up a little more. But right now there are to many other things on my priority list to worry any more about what I am wearing except to be clean and modest. I do that as a matter of course daily. It isn't something I do special just for church.

Dressing up for me is like wearing make up(which I don't usually do either). Yes, a little paint will make the barn look a little better but it won't help it to do its job.

God doesn't love me any less in jeans and a t-shirt.

6. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Jeans and T-shirts are one thing, but dressed for the beach? God deserves better.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

er1001
    How we dress on the outside shows what is on the inside. Our actions sends signals. If the people involved were seeking a relationship with the Lord then the ushers should have been able to give them the needed information or direct them to who could. They should have asked if they were saved to better serve them. If the people simply wanted to move from the beach to the worship assembly then they should have come in a manner that would not distract from the service. This was not a matter of being poor and not having clothing that is appropriate to cover. This is an issue of someone having a low disregard for the Lord and worship. With the information you gave on this matter I think turning them away was correct in this case. The people who came should have known better. The fact that they were in public uncovered as they were shows that they did not know or did not care how God feels about nakedness.By the way, nakedness is not without totally without clothes. it starts way before that. Using the beach as an excuse for being poorly clothed is not an excuse. So to answer your question, "does God care" the answer is yes and so should we.
    Let me direct you to my web page at;
    http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=113036

From their you can click on New Links and there is teaching on proper clothing for a Christian. It requires real player since it is audio file.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man looks on the outward appearance. God looks on the heart.

IF you become a "respector of persons" depending on what they wear (or don't wear), you err.

The only dress code in my church is ~~GASP~~ from the Bible. Modesty.

(Staying on topic - beach wear probably is NOT modest!)

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all just need to simplify a little bit here.

You've seen what passes for "beach wear" these days. Most of it is nothing more--and some of it, a lot less--than underwear.

Now, God originally created us naked, so He doesn't care whether we're wearing our underwear in church, or coming in without even a fig leaf. But consider also: If your dress causes someone else to stumble--i.e., I see parts of your body because you're wearing a bikini and I didn't avert my eyes fast enough--where was your emphasis? On your personal relationship with God, with consideration only for yourself? Or were you trying to bear the infirmaties of our brethren, pleasing your neighbor for their good to edification, ensuring no reproaches fell upon you and therefore upon God (Romans 15)?

In other words, God doesn't care what you wear; but He does care about the motivations of your heart.

10. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did Jesus turn anyone away because of the way they were dressed? Did he stone the adultress?

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How did John the Baptist dress?

12. onestand

onestand New Member

Something that disturbs me....the usher at the door replied, "Perhaps God doesn't care, but we do". THAT RIGHT THERE shows that it IS US who feel uncomfortable with other's clothing and frankly don't even give thought to God's point of view which btw is pointed out in the scripture MAN LOOKS ON THE OUTWARD APPEARANCE BUT GOD LOOKS ON THE HEART, uhh how clearer does God have to be in telling us he DOESN'T care if we're casual or formal??

When people begin to attend a church that dresses up and that person is wearing jeans or concert type of clothing but eventually start wearing suites or dresses instead of jeans, tee shirts, earrings and long hair it doesn't have one thing to do with God's leading to appropriate dress, it has EVERYTHING to do with social pressure of the church. We need to make that clearification because even though some may disagree with this type of dressing, it doesn't make it wrong and certainly isn't "disrespectful" to God's house but the heart we carry in there full of back bitting, looking down on others for their dresss, bitterness and many other things are disrespectful.

13. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I used to be the "suit & tie" type when I was growing up in church, but have since been the most casually dressed person in my church. And you know what? I still lead people to Christ. Shorts, t-shirt, sandals and all.

14. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

God cares how we dress - "in modesty"

The church you visited has a good rule. Others may not like it and see it as "exclusive", but it's there to minimize disruption to the worship service.

15. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

er1001,

You did not say how you were dressed, but obviously it was good enough to get in. I'm sure you used good judgment in what to wear before you went to this church.

To all others,

We should respect the rules of churches we visit. If you're visiting a church and don't know their traditions, "dress up" as a show of respect. Better safe, than sorry. Their rules may or may not be good ones, but it's not your church. We don't honor God when we don't consider and respect the feelings of other believers.

Yes, God looks at the heart and not our outward appearance. But when He looks at our heart, what does He see about our attitude toward other believers?

I you need some Scripture on the above, just request it and I'll get it.

--Jeff

16. By God's Grace

By God's Grace New Member

Does God Care theme was discussed in a little different light this past weekend. The question was raised about should pastors go to seminary. I thought the speaker replied in an interesting manner. He asked...would you want an educated surgery operating on you...or someone who had just learned from grandpa and maybe taken a few medical courses??

The same goes with our dress. God deserves our very best....heart, mind and clothing!

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One problem is that the dress of those that were turned away was not givin in detail. Everybody automatically assumes the worst when someone says beach wear. However, nothing is given as to what exactly this beach wear was or the circumstances around it. My beach wear is blue jean shorts that go down to my knees and an oversized T-shirt. I wear running shoes or sandals with ankle socks.

Nevertheless, it does sound like they were not thinking about anybody else, only themselves. And the Bible tells us to beware of causing someone else to stumble. Just don't do it.

18. superdave

superdave New Member

That type of behaviour is "washing the pig" to borrow one of my pastor's favorite phrases. The nature of a pig is not changed by you washing it.

It is much more effective to deal with the heart, and let the outward stuff come later with the Holy Spirit's work of progressive sanctification and maturity.

19. onestand

onestand New Member

AMEN Superdave!!! That is so true.

Jeffery,

If ANYONE should be careful of how they come across as a stumbling block it should be the church presenting themselves to those who walk in. If non christians who were never churched walked in wearing what they had and were turned away at the door due to their clothing...who do you think would answer for that? Church is not a country club to allow only those who dress up and look proper, when it gets to that point it has gone over the edge. BTW..who's to say that the one dressed as expected doesn't intend to cause disturbance?? Clearly that church's rule was a sad one, I just can't imagine how many have been turned away and that just breaks my heart.

20. The Right Way

The Right Way New Member

The same church would have most likely have turned Christ away for the clothing he wore.