1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God hate the Sinner?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jstrickland1989, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The topic is not what hell is a matter of. The topic is whether God loves all. That topic is not contingent upon what hell is a matter of.
    You're presuming God's elect with God's loved. From the Calvinistic POV, all are God's loved, but not all are God's elect. Again, a separate topic from this one.
    I think you know what I meant. I wasn't arguing Hell's nature.
    Again, "hate" does not equal "withhonding love". When Ps5 and 11 talk about hating the wicked, it does not say God withholds His love from them.

2. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

I don't believe God hates any of us. Disappointed comes more to my mind, along with hurt and angry; but not hate. I feel he hates sin in all forms though. There's also no difference when it comes to sin. In his eyes it's all equally bad.

3. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

If by this you mean that God hating the wicked doesn't mean He doesn't love them, I agree. God does love the wicked in one sense and hates them in another.

I still would say God witholds His saving love from those who reject Him. I am not a Calvinist and I don't believe He witholds His love unconditionally.

I do believe He only imparts His saving love to those who trust Him. That is why the Scriptures reserve the term "beloved" for God's elect.

Mark Osgatharp

4. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Jesus said,

"thou shalt be thrust down to hell."

And He said to fear Him who has power,

"to destroy body and soul in hell."

Yes, God definately plays and active role in the damning of the wicked. That is not to say He desires their damnation, but that He will accomplish it if they go on perpetually in their unbelief.

Mark Osgatharp

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God hates sinners. So much that he damns them to hell for their unbelief (and adds punishment for their amassing sins).

That isn't "detest" or "dislike". This is DAMN to eternal hell.

That is real hatred. Godly hatred.

6. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

I think we have heard this cliche for so long now and we can't accept thay "yes" God does hate sinner, and not just the sin

For example, a judge doesn't send the murder to hell, he sends the murderer. God doesn't send the sin to hell, he sends the sinner. If God hates the sin, but loved the sinner, then why didn't he just cast out the sin in the sinner?

James

7. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

James, I think we heard it because it was one way too e3xplain that the Bible says God hates the sinner and it also states that God loves the sinner. So someone came up with this saying...God hates the sin but loves the sinner. Now let me ask you is that impossible to do?
    If you had a son who committed horriable crimes, murder or whatever. YOu still love the son but can detest his acts.
    Just a thought.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then according to you God is a murderer!

9. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Also left out the love that HE gave His only son. Nothing like telling half the story. God made a way out of love for mad to escape judgement. Not in accordance with your calvinistic theology but still biblical no matter how much you love the game twister.

10. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

Then he hates everyone of us, right? Even believers sin, it's our nature. I sinned today. I can't think off hand what I did, but sometime during my work day my conduct and talk fell short of God's standard. I'm not proud of it at all, it hurts me and hurts our Father even more. But I confess it and try to do better. I know he loves me though. Lets not confuse sin with unbelief.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amen, preach it!!!

12. jstrickland1989

Then he hates everyone of us, right? Even believers sin, it's our nature. I sinned today. I can't think off hand what I did, but sometime during my work day my conduct and talk fell short of God's standard. I'm not proud of it at all, it hurts me and hurts our Father even more. But I confess it and try to do better. I know he loves me though. Lets not confuse sin with unbelief. </font>[/QUOTE]No, because we have accepted the perfect gift of salvation. When a Christian sins, it has already been forgiven at the cross.

13. jstrickland1989

Then according to you God is a murderer! </font>[/QUOTE]Well, God is God. He's not one of us. If god chose to hate, then thats the end of it. But if we hate, it is as if we comitted murder. God and man are not on the same level.

James

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Salvation does not mean we're not sinners anymore. We're sinners until we die.

15. jstrickland1989

I know it doesn't, but the sin is paid for.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Doesn't matter, as far as this topic. If God hates the sinner, he hates the sinner, regardless of one's salvation.

17. jstrickland1989

Yes, it does matter. If the cross wasn't good enough to cover our sins, then we are going to hell no matter what.

18. jstrickland1989

Then he hates everyone of us, right? Even believers sin, it's our nature. I sinned today. I can't think off hand what I did, but sometime during my work day my conduct and talk fell short of God's standard. I'm not proud of it at all, it hurts me and hurts our Father even more. But I confess it and try to do better. I know he loves me though. Lets not confuse sin with unbelief. </font>[/QUOTE]If God meant unbelief he would have said it, but instead he used "WORKERS of iniquity"

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one disputes that. If God hates sinners, he doesn't hate the saved sinner any less than the lost sinner. The cross works to save us from Hell, but if God hates sinners, then the cross doesn't save us from his hatred.

20. jstrickland1989

Well if the cross covers our sin, then we are no longer workers of inquity.

James