1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God have a Mother?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Eliyahu, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"It was heresy to later deny that the ONE Mary gave birth to was indeed God, despite the fact that the word "theotokos" is not found in the Bible. Just as it was a heresy to deny Christ was consubstantial with the Father, even though the word "consubstantial" is not in the Bible. It is also a heresy to deny the truth of the Trinity even though the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible."--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just because some words are fairly inoccuous don't mean all words are. Those words have never cause any porblems in modern portestism, at least not like Mary, and none can be used to diefy a human.

Nice try, DT, but, again, no dice :cool:

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

No God the Father wasn't Incarnate; neither did the Holy Spirit become Incarnate; therefore, neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit died on the cross. However God did die at the cross--God the Son (1 Cor 2:8). Your attempts at being absurd to make an alleged point merely reveal your sloppy triadology and Christology. But I'm sure that won't stop your strawman attacks on "human syllogism". :cool:

3. Doubting Thomas

Yes, the info is clear and well established, but it's not the distortions you are peddling.
    Deep down I know I'm right, because I've read the true history and read legitimate historians. Otherwise, I might be as gullible as you are in the accepting pseudo-historical conpsiracy theories you find on the internet.
    Deep down you know you're wrong and are desparate to cling to these logical fallacies and revisionist pseudo-historical narratives and repeat the same distortions because you know the FACTS are not on your side.

No, it doesn't. And I don't need the clear history to change because it's clearly on my side and available for anyone to read.

[​IMG]

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Human Syllogism:

- Trinity is not found in the Bible but it is true.
    - Mother of God is not found but it is right.
    - In the same logic, We can derive much more theories like Purgatory too.

Even though Trinity is not found in the Bible, we are not sure whether it is what God wants us to express about Godhead, but only in human language it might be the best to express the relationship of deities in one person and in unity, but therefore we do not derive any further theory from it, because it is just a method of understanding.

If we believe Trinity is really true and expandable further from it, why do we hesitate to call Mary is Mother of Holy Spirit too? Because if Mary is Mother of God, Holy Spirit is God, therefore Mary is Mother of Holy Spirit too. Likewise, Mary is the Mother of Creator of all Universe, because Jesus is Creator.
    Mary is Mother of God, God the Father is God, therefore Mary is Mother of God the Father too!

Therefore I do not say Trinity itself is an ablsolute truth, even though I am a strong defender for Johannine COMMA (1Jn5:7)
    We rule out any denial of deity of Jesus Christ.
    Throughout the Bible, it is very much sure that Jesus is God!

But some are inclined toward 3 God theory based on Trinity still, and some others are in the middle between Trinity and Modalism.
    If we read OT carefully, there are lots of verses supporting Modalism, even though it encounters critical objections in NT quickly.
    So, Trinity is the best explanation about the Godhead,I believe.

However, I don't claim any theory or any doctrine, but just stay on the expressions of Bible. To me, Bible itself is the only doctrine.

Human Syllogism is absolutely stupid and silly in God's view! and it doesn't work in many cases and verses.

5. Doubting Thomas

I'd expect folks who claim to know history like yourself to at least get basic facts right. Cyril didn't "choose" Ephesus. (But I'm sure you'll persist in believing otherwise, claimig you read it somewhere on the internet)

6. Doubting Thomas

If you really meant that you wouldn't use the expression, "Trinity", since it is not found in the Bible.

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone still hold on the Human Syllogism, she or he is still holding on Strawman and Snowman!

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strawman, Snowman, Sugarman, Syllogism will be destroyed by Hurricane quickly.
    Sugarman made of sugar, Snowman don't like to go out when it rains !
    The believers refusing theotokos are built on the Rock!

9. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I checked out a verity of info sources. You apparently are the one who is stuck on a certain biased history. Cyril was the prosecutor. Nestrious was called there. Even if you are correct an Cyril did not choose it himself it was chosen by his side, and the question is why. Do you think that it is just coincidence that the biggest mother god worshipping town in the realm was chosen for this particular argument???

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread has reached 24 pages, it will be locked. Please feel free to continue the discussion in a new thread. Perhaps - "Does God have a Mother? - Part II"