1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God have control over the people who populate Heaven?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Jun 16, 2007.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. God selects and determines in advance who is admitted to Heaven.

2. God selects some people in advance for Heaven and lets the rest choose for themself where they shall go wither on the basis of good works or "believing" or some secret combination of both.

3. God takes pot luck and takes people who pass the test (whatever it is) on their own - like the College Boards or a civil service exam with no veteran's preference.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Of course, God is sovereign and has control over all things. His will is never dependant on man's choice. However, I think you are making it harder than it is to go to heaven. Theres not a secret combination to have to get right. Its all by grace.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

or 4...none of your answers got it right.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with TaterTot and am voting with rbell. :1_grouphug:

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually there is only 2 choices

God either has a universe of pre-programmed robots or He created a free will universe.

In BOTH cases He has infinite knowledge and KNOWS the end from the beginning. (That is pretty confusing for Calvinists since they can not figure out how to BE God in a free will universe where God also knows the end from the beginning).

But the method God chose in that free will universe was to CONVICT ALL of sin and righteousness and judgment (John 16) and to "die for our sins and NOT our sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE world" 1John 2:2 and to "DRAW ALL " unto Him John 12:32.

I thought we ALL already knew that.

in Christ,

Bob

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

BobRyan, I looked at your profile and see you are a SDA. What are you trusting in for salvation?

7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I vote #1.

8. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Draw all of who?

9. Dustin

Dustin New Member

This video is quite instructive, using another famously misused verse.

The points in this video certainly apply to the verses Bob posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=124vIQMRRHI

God bless your studies.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Draw all of 721 people?

Wrong sir. As much as Calvinism would insist on inserting a qualifier into John 12:32 -- it is unqualified "I will DRAW ALL" unto Me.

Sadly for the needs of Calvinism the text can not be edited and sufficiently downsized to meet the demands of Calvinism's doctrine on this point.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't you mean "WHO" are you trusting in for salvation? :jesus:

Your profile says you are non-denom so I suppose this concept could be new for you. Please let me know if you would like futher explanation sir. I am happy to explain the Gospel in detail as long as there is a genuinely interested listener.:wavey:

In Christ,

Bob

#11 BobRyan, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since no one has posted a substantive rebuttal - I will offer this again -- just incase someone wants to debate it.

13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I guess you didn't watch the video.

Trust me, it's very instructive.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was it "instructive enough" for you to make a dotrinal point from scripture after having watched it or is the emotion of the moment that is provided in a video context more to the point??

Hint: all you had to do was state that in 2Pet 3:1 Calvinism needs to LIMIT salvation to the First cetury reader of Peter's letter AT THE TIME that it was written and it fallaciously contrasts that bogus idea with "universal salvation" as IF the only alternative to such a hollow position is universalism.

That -- without the music was the substance that you seem to be "not wanting to post yourself" in respect to the video. I don't blame you for not actually posting it sir. I wouldn't want my name on it either.

in Christ,

Bob

#14 BobRyan, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  15. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Bob, it's just like you posting your multi-colored models and such. The content of the video explains itself throughly. It is not a matter of me not wanting to post the whole thing, in my own "writing", but it was a matter of not having enough time to do so.

You wouldn't want your name on it because you're a flaming Arminian! I mean red hot! You attribute what the text says to the needs of the system of theology called Calvinism. Even though the intepretation is correct, according to the context, if Calvinism says it, it must be wrong! Come on, Bob, I thought you were a serious Bible student. Really look at what the text says, it's all right there, I promise.

If the points in the video (which I agree with) are wrong, then by all means, enlighten me. I would really like to see where I'm going wrong. I don't have any John Calvin posters in my house, I'm not out here like Spurgeon saying Calvinism is the Gospel. Prove to me from the Scriptures that what I believe is wrong. Don't just show me where you think Calvinism is wrong, show me where there is a common or preveniant grace, show me where the atonement is for every single man, woman, and child in the entire world.

I would really like it if you could do that.

Thank you.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

In that case the only real choice here is that either God is in control or man is.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose what baffles me most is the underlying question - why would God WANT to know everything?

A child learns tic-tac-toe. When he discovers that he knows the end of the game after the first move, he moves on to checkers.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to volunteer of my own free will to be God's robot! It's better than being Satan's bond-robot.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

"His ways are not our ways."

You describe boredom. Boredom stems from dissatisfaction at not being sufficiently pleased. God, being God, does not have this weakness.

But then again, "wanting to know everything" kinda screwed up life in Eden, eh?

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: :applause:

:laugh: :saint:

(I'm trying to be less wordy.)