1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God love all people?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 10, 2007.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent point!

We are to love our enemies as well as our friends, family, children and spouse. The same Greek term is used for all (agape) and there is one common ground in the application of that term to all - doing what is right toward them.

If your enemy hunger, feed him. Why? Because it is right. If he thirst, give him drink. Why? Because it is right! This is what you would desire in his place.

However, love can involve much more than merely doing what is right toward another. We certainly do not love our enemy as we love our friends and we certainly do not love our friends as we do our family, and then children and ultimately our own spouse.

#21 The Biblicist, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  2. lakeside

lakeside New Member

God loves everyone , but hates the sin that we commit. God gives us a chance for us to have our sins forgiven He gave this power and authority to His Apostles on Easter Sunday night : " Whose sins you shall forgive , they are forgiven them; whose sins you shall retain , they are retained " [ John 20: 23 ] Did Jesus want His Apostles to give this authority and power to "forgive sins" to others ? Yes, because He died to save all people from their sins : " This is good and agreeable in the sight of God our Savior, who wishes all men to be saved [ 1st Timothy 2: 3-4 ]
    God already knows our sins , that is why He wants us to humble and hopefully be somewhat humiliated by confessing our sins to the successors of the Apostles.
    "He who conceals his sins prospers not , but he who confesses and forsakes them obtains mercy ". { Proverbs 28: 13 ]
    I personally have never ever heard of a case where a priest ever divulge anybody sins to another person, only to Jesus/God. Even the 'bad priests' or those that left the priesthood for what ever reasons.
    " For what I have pardoned.....[ through His apostles and all of their successors , my words ] I have done it in the person of Christ " [ 2nd Corinthians 2 v 10 ]

All sin are forgiven at Confession if you are truly sorry for them.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

lakeside

No He does not. There is not one scripture in all the bible that states that. Dont run to Jn 3:16 neither because it does not say God Loves everybody either.

If God Loved everybody then scripture is in error here Rom 9:13

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bibl

Not those that Christ has died for and reconciled to God while they are unbelievers or enemies ! Rom 5:10

10For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

The elect were reconciled to God by the death of His Son before they were saved or converted. Now are you saying that a person Christ died for and redeemed from the curse of the law, are saying they are still condemned by God before they believe ? If you say Yes, then you are saying that Christ's death alone accomplished nothing for them before they believed !

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

12 strings

Thats a false statement. All those God Loved, He Loved them while they were enemies and Ungodly in their behavior against them.

Rom 5:10

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Rom 5:6

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

God Loved Paul when He was Saul murdering Christians as much as He did the beloved John who laid his head on the Saviour's bosom..

God either Loves a Person or He doesn't..

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

My statement is not false if it is qualified to say that those who receive him only receive him because God has first loved them and regenerated them.

If God does not love the non-elect in any way, how is he... "not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." Also God certainly causes rain and sun to shine on the non-elect.

Also how do your statements here fit with your previous statements that the elect are justified and united with Christ from eternity. If we are justified from eternity past, how can it be that God considers us enemies when christ died for us?

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

12s

Yes it is, I just proved it to you. Paul before he was converted had a deep seated hatred against Christ, and i am sure he heard and rejected the gospel many times, and God Loved him then with an everlasting Love !

Thats not for the non elect, thats for the usward, the Elect..

The scripture does not say God considered the Elect enemies ! Paul says when we[The elect] were enemies by nature, That we [The elect] were reconciled to God, by the death of His Son. God considered them His Friends, not His enemies. You must not understand what reconciled means. It is the greek word katallassō and means:

to change, exchange, as coins for others of equivalent value

a) to reconcile (those who are at variance)

b) return to favour with, be reconciled to one

c) to receive one into favour

While the elect by nature were in themselves God's enemy, like paul when he was saul, God had received us into His Favor because of Christ's death for them. God did not consider them enemies !

As far as Eternal Justififcation is concerned ask your question in that thread:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=72868

#27 savedbymercy, Dec 6, 2011
  8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. I am not saying god does not love the elect in their ungodliness, I am saying The Love god shows the elect (which are those who receive him) is different than the love he shows toward the non-elect (who because of their non=electedness, will not receive him).
    -So the point you need to prove is not that god loves ungodly elect, but that he does NOT love the non-elect. Showing that god loved paul before his conversion does not show that.

2. How do you know from scripture that the desciption of not wanting any to perish is for the elect only?

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

12 strings

You may as well say that, you stated that God Loves believers more than unbelievers because they reject Christ. Thats a false statement anyway. God does not even love the unbeliever who never becomes a believer, if He did, He would save them !

I already gave you my reason. Peter used the word uswards. Anything beyond that is speculation, so you are basing your supposistion on a assumption, not good..

#29 savedbymercy, Dec 6, 2011
  10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jn 3:16 tells us of God's Love for the world, but never specifically states that God loved all mankind as individuals without exception, that has been read into the text by those who care little about the Truth of God.

And such a verse as Jn 3:16

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Must and should be explained by other verses of scripture that speaks on the same subject as God's Love of People.

First lets look at at an OT scripture that speaks to God's Love to a People Deut 7:6-8

6For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

We find here something extremely important about an immutable God and His Love. That God's Love is set upon a people He chooses look at Deut 7:7

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Notice too that His Love is set upon the fewest of all people.. This should be a big eye opener for us, God Loves not the masses of mankind, for those He Loves are the few of mankind.

Remember Jesus stated about finding the road that leads to life that few find it Matt 7:13-14

13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Those few, are and will be those God Loved.. So God so loved the world, means He loved a few , chosen ones in the world, His own special ones.

Jn 13:1

1Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

The jews would have known from deut 7 that God's Love was exclusive for only some, but what they did not know was that some was not limited to them, for God loved some as well of different people groups, outside of their race; but His Love was nevertheless limited to a certain people, but just not to a limited location or race, it was the world at large that this special loved and certain people would be located..

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

so God is being patient with Himself and desires that those He has decreed cannot perish from eternity past will not perish? How is even possible, and why the redundancy in such an illogical statement?

12. lakeside

lakeside New Member

The topic is;" Does God love all people?"
    My post#22 answers the question.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

web

They have to be born into the world first ! When peter wrote that Epistle there were elect still yet to be born sinners in the future.

If God had elect to be born in 1955, that were going to experience their redemption Christ secured for them, then the world was not going to end any time soon, you understand now ?

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Its God's Love that moved Him to choose His People in Christ and make them a special people above all others Deut 14:2

2For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

This is a exclusive Love for His chosen ! The Chosen are all those regardless of race, who were Chosen in Christ before the foundation Eph 1:4

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

God Loved His People so much, He ensured that they will be made Holy and Without blame before Him in Love.. Thats what God's Love does, it ensures this outcome..

15. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"God so loved the world....." This tells me that God loves all sinners.
    "....that He sent His only begotten Son..." This tells me how much God loves sinners.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Webdog, you must be a prophet!!!

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Webdog posted this on 3/17/2007:

Like I stated, you must be a prophet or something close to it....:laugh:

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, you need to get your needle fixed. You keep singing the same song over and over again.

From the 90's rap group "Digital Underground"; All around the world same song

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That looks plain n simple to me.....:D

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jn 3:16 does not say anything close to God Loves all sinners, that is your imagination. Esau was a sinner was he not ? Rom 9:13

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.