1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Love Those In Hell?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KenH, Sep 15, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you like it since my reply was pretty much a paraphrase of something Charles Haddon Spurgeon said in a sermon about Jacob and Esau.

Christians regards,

Ken [​IMG]
    A Spurgeonite

2. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

....while we were still sinners (ie. workers of iniquity), Christ died for us....

God loves even sinners, He is also perfectly just.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe there are any contradictions in the Bible.

Christian regards,

Ken [​IMG]
    A Spurgeonite

[ September 24, 2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

4. I know, i read it myself. I have it bookmarked. I see that you're back to being a spurgeonite.

As our respect for one another has deteriated, our responses to each other have done the same. I no longer want to continue this type of dialog.

Thank you for the fellowship.....

[ September 25, 2002, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Chappie ]

5. ....while we were still sinners (ie. workers of iniquity), Christ died for us....

God loves even sinners, He is also perfectly just.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Your conclusions I believe to be in harmony with what is revealed to us concerning God.

When logic and reason is applied to scripture, God always leaps out of scripture as the loving, compassionate God that he is.... Anyone that posts one or two scriptures that portray God as a hater, his exegesis is based on one or two scriptures. And based on one or two scriptures, you can safely bet that they'll get it wrong..

God hates sin. We are told to hate what God hates. I do not believe that we are called to hate any man....

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have no warrant for picking and choosing the verses in the Bible that we believe. One thing I have noticed is that Calvinists attempt to deal with all of the verses in the Bible, even those we have a hard time with theologically. I have found that non-Calvinists attempt to just ignore those verses they don't like, the ones that don't fit into their theology. That is why it is sometimes difficult to dialogue with them as they tend to just say, "That's not what it means" and never deal with the text. They are apparently too bound to their non-Calvinist tradition.

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

[ September 25, 2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Sorry. Wrong keystroke - deleted)

[ September 25, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never have understood why that bothers you. :( It is simply a term for saying one is a Calvinistic Baptist as compared to a Calvinistic Paedo-Baptist.

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

[ September 25, 2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Name one.

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God loves those in Hell how did they end up there? If they are in Hell isn't that what they deserved by God sending them there? If God sent them there then he doesn't love them.
    I heard a preacher put it this way... If a child of Hell could ever ends up in heaven it will be a greater hell to him because he would have to see God who he hates and hates him... but
    if a child of grace could ever end up in Hell it would be Heaven to him for God would be with him.
    I will never leave thee nor forsake thee!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

11. &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; And do you hate what God hates Brother Glen?? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

12. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question Chappie but how can I... God is the only one that knows who his children are?... We are to love the Lord God with all our being... and love our neighbor as ourself!... That is all any of us can do!... The Eternal Salvation of ALL Gods children are in his hands not mine or yours or anyones!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The love we are talking about in this thread is not a syrupy emotion. It is to not seek to harm another, to look out for their best interest. Does the Bible anywhere tell us not to hate, which is an emotion? The Psalms speak to this issue:

(Psalm 119:113 NKJV) I hate the double-minded, But I love Your law.

(Psalm 139:19-22 NKJV) Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God! Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men. {20} For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. {21} Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? {22} I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Nowhere do we read of the Psalmist being reproved for writing this.

We can hate someone without doing him harm. If he walks out in the street, we don't run over him. If his car is broken down on the side of the road, we can stop to help him. Our love is an action, not a feeling. God sends the sun and the refreshing rain on His enemies, as well as His loved ones. But that doesn't mean that God has feelings of affection for the wicked, or that He doesn't hate them.

I am afraid that in modern evangelicalism that the love of God in action has been replaced to a large degree with the unBiblical idea of the love of God being an emotion, and that God doesn't hate His enemies, or those that will suffer His eternal wrath.

Christian regards,

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

14. tfisher

tfisher New Member

Mark 10:20-22
    20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved (agapao) him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
    The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

I do not know if Jesus loved this man after the man went to hell, but it is obvious He loved the man at this point.

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    tfisher said:
    I won't put this man in hell but you are free to do what you want!... Does the Bible teach all the abundantly rich will end up in hell? I belive this scripture is a great illustration on discipleship and nothing else?... Take up your cross and follow me!... Brother Glen :cool:

16. tfisher

tfisher New Member

I have to disagree. Discipleship is a part of the teaching; but, the main point is salvation.

Mark 10:17
    17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

The man did not ask what it takes to be a good disciple. He asked about eternal life. Then when he rejected Jesus, Jesus said:

Mark 10:23
    23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

This man not only refused discipleship, he refused eternal life. He did not even "enter into the kingdom of God" let alone take up his cross and follow Jesus.

This in no way says the wealthy go to hell. Jesus said so in verse 27. This man, because of his wealth, was not willing to make Jesus lord in his life.

17. zcostilla

zcostilla New Member

"As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    14 ¶ What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? 21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
    25 ¶ As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. 26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. 27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. 29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
    30 ¶ What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    " -Romans 9:13-33

Though it may look as if God is choosing their path, be it Heaven or Hell, verses 30-33 clearly state it is a matter of faith.

zcostilla

18. Are you one of God's children Brother Glen. And how are you really able to fully give yourself to love, knowing that there is an excellant chance that you infact love someone that God hates. Do you love totally, or with some reservations.

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5: 43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Chappie I will just stand upon what the scriptures say so who is my enemy according to scripture?... Brother Glen [​IMG]

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    tfisher I would like to pose one question... Why did Jesus put a condition on this mans eternal salvation and yet the only conditions he put on ours is he died for his elect children without condition on our part? That's my belief... What's yours?... Brother Glen :confused:

[ September 26, 2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]