1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Really Hate Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 6, 2013.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In talking with sinners [those who live in sin of one kind or another] they continue to argue that they are not worried about God, because "How could a God that loves them, destroy them or send them to hell?" And if that is the kind of God this God is, then they wouldn't want to have anything to do with Him in the4 first place?

Then there are the gays that hold hands in love. They believe that there is nothing wrong with them being in love. After all, God did call us to love one another. And God is all about love, and surely He'd appreciate their being in love with each other, wouldn't He?

Then there's this argument: God never said a man couldn't love another man, after all David loved Jonathon, and God never disapproved of that love, so why would a God of love disapprove of anyone who shares their heart of love with another, regardless of who they love?

How can we as Christian and the church preach about a God of love one minute; and then one of a God who will destroy those who don't love as the church says they can love? That seems to be a contradiction of the Bible.

So: Does God really hate sin, or is it the church that hates the sin, and judges those who don't fall in line with what the church says???

I'd like you honest responses, as these are actualy arguments given to me by people who see nothing wrong with living their life as they want, because they see God as some loving father who wants all the best for everyone on this earth! :BangHead:

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. Biblical argument: It is clear in scriptures that God hates sin. To disbelieve this would be to simply ignore the Bible. The Bible says God hates sin. The Bible says God hates sinners. The Bible also says God loves sinners...so much in fact that he was willing to send his own son to die in their place. THAT'S the God of love. God is such a good God that he will not allow evil to destroy his world. He will eventually end all evil...however he loves those evil people, so provided a sacrifice so that when he does end all evil, he doesn't have to end us. God DOES want men to love each other, but not in a sexual way. Leviticus, Romans, 1 Corinthians, & 2 timothy all point to this. God is a loving father who wants all the best for his children...and a homosexual lifestyle is not the best.

2. Practical illustration of why God WILL punish sin: Imagine a perfect King, completelly good. Now imagine that a rebellion arises in his land seeking to overturn the good laws of the king, which he created for the good of his people. What would a perfect King do? Allow the rebellious people to destroy themselves and his good kingdom? Or use his power to put a stop to the rebellion, and lock up all those rebels who refused to cease rebelling? If the king's laws were bad, we could understand a rebellion and sympathize with it...but if the King is perfect, and all his laws are perfect, and only create the best for his people...then ANY rebellion must by definition be a bad thing.

3. Practical illustration of why God's love calls people to repentance: Imagine a father who's sons love playing on the edge of a cliff. He will call them back from the cliff, sometimes impeding their freedom to do so, because he loves them.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Re: The Church

The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; You hate all who do iniquity. (Psalm 5:5)

God hates sin because it is an affront to His character. God's requirement is:

"...because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:16)

God hates the sinner. God also loves His sheep. This does not mean it is a good idea to go around telling sinners that God hates them. It is a good, and biblical, idea to tell sinners their sins have separated them from God, and they face an eternity experiencing God's wrath unless they repent and believe.

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

These examples you put up can never be figured out if a person believes that God loves every individual that has ever walked the earth. Some churches have built their theology on one scripture, John 3:16 and have ignored scripture like Psa: 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: Thou hates all the workers of iniquity. Psa 11:5 The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. Rom 9:13 As it is written Jacob have i loved but Esau have i hated. Now who is to blame for the world thinking as you discribed ? Answer: The blame rest upon the preachers that preach Gods love to the wicked.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Romans 5:6 - For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.

Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. (IMPLICATION: Love your enemies, then you will be resembling God who loves his enemies..even the unjust.)

1 Timothy 1:15 - The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

6. salzer mtn

In Rom 5 you must start with the first verse and read through the eleveth verse to see that it is talking about the elect, not the whole world. You cannot just jerk one scripture out of a chapter and start a doctrine. In Matt 5:44 I may love MY enemies and pray for them but i will not love the enemies of God. Psa 139: 21-22 Do not i hate them, O Lord that hate thee? and am i not grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with a perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. Do i love athiest that blaspheme God ? NO. For he maketh his sun rise on the evil and on the good ect. God has compassion on all the works of his hand, but not love to everyone he has compassion on. 1Tim 1:15 This is a faithful saying, in other words this scripture is beyond doubt. And worthy of all acceptation, this scripture is to be accepted without a doubt. That Christ Jesus came into this world to save sinners. This is a possitive statement. It's not, he might save sinners but he will save sinners. No one is a sinner to himself, unless and until God makes him a sinner. Paul said in Rom 7:7 I had not known sin, but by the law: for i had not known lust, except the law had said , Thou shalt not covet. Do you mean that Paul a pharisee, didn't know the law ? yes, in the letter but not in it's spirit. To be shown by God, by his word through the Holy Spirit you are a sinner is a blessed thing.

#6 salzer mtn, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that the lord extends His Grace and mercy/love towards those whom He has saved thru/in/by Cross of christ, his elect, but that also His Holiness demands that all sins not covered by the death of christ MUST be accounted for, punished by God....

Not that God is looking upon all sinners in hell and "having a good laugh" at their expense, but that he must exercise judgement upon sins n ot atoned under/by death of jesus, or else could not be God!

8. salzer mtn

Can you know for sure he is not laughing ? Prov 1:24-26 Because i have called and you have refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded it; but you have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh. Psa 2:4-5 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: The Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't lead off focused on homosexuallity. They want to pick a fight about that.

Lead off with the ten commandments. Usually they agree they are breakers of one of those. Then take them through the scriptures regarding the wages of sin and the gospel.

If the Holy Spirit has not yet brought them to repentance, you've planted seeds. Just move on.

If He has, they will respond or not, but nothing you can do about it.

And if they do respond positively and God saves them, He'll clean them sure as shootin.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Neither can you take a group of verses and snatch them out to conform to your idea of redemption. The children of God have the Holy Spirit living in them, and that keeps the said children on a path towards being more like Jesus daily. If they stray from the path, the HS provides the necessary correction to put them back on the path. Those who are not His are all over the map. No Christian lives in sin for a long period of time and habitually. It is as simple as that.

11. salzer mtn

As all scripture on one subject is not grouped together in one book of the bible, i would say one would have to be all over the map or book to gather scripture. Ill agree that whatever we believe and we all don't believe the same, we should show forth humility and love and patience.

12. salzer mtn

Could someone explain to me the sins not atoned for by Jesus death ?

13. DFG

DFG New Member

There are a lot of scripture skipping pastors that just tell the church goers what they want to hear and leave the rest out.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Good Sister in the Lord, Writes:

"I've been thinking a lot on the character of Christ. He spoke and taught the people in a sweet conversational manner, telling them of both blessings and woes. And, He said some very hard things to some people, even calling them snakes and vipers. Some even got so angry they wanted to throw Him off a cliff. But He just kept His cool and went on into the next city. He didn't get violent and revengeful, He just stood firm in His righteousness and spoke the truth in love, desiring the salvation of the souls of men, But shaking the dust off His feet against those who said they knew God but hated truth. That was a sweet smelling sacrifice to the Father..."

I have to wholeheartedly agree with her words. We serve and awesome, loving God. But, he is not to be confused with a sugar daddy, giving his kids everything and anything they want or desire. He has spoken about his strong hate for sin; and given an eternal way to escape His wrath, through His only Son.

What the world seems to forget about God is that while it says in John 3:16 that "God so loved the world!" we also need to not forget that He said, "It’s happened. I’m A to Z. I’m the Beginning, I’m the Conclusion. From Water-of-Life Well I give freely to the thirsty. Conquerors inherit all this. I’ll be God to them, they’ll be sons and daughters to me. But for the rest—the feckless and faithless, degenerates and murderers, sex peddlers and sorcerers, idolaters and all liars—for them it’s Lake Fire and Brimstone. Second death!” Revelation 21:8
    The Message (MSG)