1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God respond to Man?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 14, 2023.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread @KenH introduced an interesting theological "problem" concerning whether God actually interacts with man.

The majority of Scripture provides examples of God responding to man and man responding to God. BUT could these instances be anthropomorphic?

@KenH suggests that man responding to God denies divine sovereignty and God responding to man raises man above God.

This isn't a new debate, of course, and it is perhaps more philosophical than theological (but theology includes philosophy).

Scripture describes God responding to man in several ways. Here are a few:

1. God punishes sins
    2. God judges the wicked
    3. God rewards righteousness
    4. God answers prayers
    5. God is faithful to forgive the repentant
    6. God will have us answer for our words
    7. God disciplines His children

The question -. Is God responding to man to be taken literally or is this anthropomorphic?

The "problem":

If God responds to man then man is elevated over God as man is in a sense controlling God.

For example, the sinner's action demands a just response from God, the believer's sin elicits discipline from God, our prayers are answered in response by God.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an interesting question. I tend to favor AudtinC on this.

I believe God’s interactions with men/women is to move them where God wants them to be.

God certainly isn’t learning something new and then responding.

He does, however, act according to His predetermined divine will to accomplish His desires upon the earth.

That is, of course, to our benefit.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with most of what you posted.

I believe that everything is predestined. I do not believe God reacts to the unknown.

But at the same time, I believe that God will judge the wicked (a reaction), and that God does answer our prayers (a reaction).

I believe theology becomes cluttered when we break down things we cannot understand into micro-doctrines and then build on those things.

Scripture presents God as reacting to us, whether in a positive or negative way. I think it best to simply accept that rather than reasoning away passages like "you have not because you ask not".

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I equate the idea of God reacting to man with God asking questions of man.

When God asked Adam if he had eaten the forbidden fruit was God seeking information He did not already know? Of course not.

When God banished Adam and Eve from the garden, was He “reacting” to what they had done or was He acting according to His predetermined will and plan?

I believe the latter.

So I believe this is true of all interactions with humanity. We are reacting to what God is doing at all times, imo. God’s actions are for our benefit,.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God interacts with man.

There is no problem. God is not demeaned. He created mankind to interact with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually believe the answer is "both".

But how does this look when God "reacts" against the wicked? Is God acting in accordance to His predetermined plan or is God reacting to the wicked?

(Again, my answer is "both").

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is answered by understanding the nature of God's revelation to mankind.
    Revelation occurs because God revealed himself to mankind.

The first character, then, of special revelation as the divine condescension is that it is anthropic. By anthropic we mean that it is marked by human characteristics throughout. It speaks of the super sensible world (II Cor. 4:18) in the terms and analogies of our sensible world. The knowledge of God is framed in the language, concepts, metaphors, and analogies of men. The backdrop of revelation is earth and not heaven, and even one man is given a vision of heaven it is according to earthly analogies and figures. The anthropic character of revelation speaks of God stooping down and humbling his revelation so that it enters our world and takes the shape and form of the human race.
    Bernard Ramm. Special Revelation and the Word of God. Eerdman's Publishing. 1961. p. 36-37.
    We are not teaching God anything he didn't already know.
    When God called out to Adam, "Where are you?" It wasn't because God didn't know where the man was.

When God responds to a request, his response reveals something about him and is fully in keeping with his character.
    God doesn't change.

Rob

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do always have to keep in mind that we are finite and incapable of knowing God except as He reveals Himself to us.

This is similar to the debate on whether God actually feels (has compassion, anger, joy, ect) because these denote a change in God and reaction to man. Compassion and anger are explained by how we perceive God.

But at the same time, this also explains away God to a degree (it certainly explains away any concept of God as a "person").

I believe that God is sovereign but that He also interacts and responds to man.

I leave the "how" to God.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems this can be termed interaction. God interacts with man. Naturally (pun intended), God acts first. There is no other way. We wouldn't even be here, if God hadn't acted first.

(It's a long story, but you can read about it in the Bible. :Wink)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saying that God expressing his nature means he is somehow changing, sounds like a false notion indeed. That sort of description seems to make God static, lifeless, not at all the biblical picture.

There are a lot of things about God that don’t measure up to the superficial, self-righteous standards of manmade religion.

One of the first is that He would create man in His own image and then allow him to debase that image through sin. Outrageous.

11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shaftsbury Baptist Association
    CIRCULAR LETTER, 1808
    "Prayer"
    By Elder Isaiah Mattison

"Communion with God in duties is enjoyed, and spiritual blessings are conferred in answer to prayer.

"Not that prayer is meritorious, or inconsistent with the immutability of God.

"If it then should be asked, To what purpose is Prayer? the answer is -- Prayer is a way and mean God has appointed for the communication of the blessings of his goodness to his people.

"Although be has purposed, provided and promised them, yet be will be sought unto, for[p. 94]
    their actual bestowment.

"It is their duty and privilege to ask them of him.

"When they are blessed with the spirit of prayer, it forbodes well, and looks as if God intends to bestow the good things they ask."

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." Matthew 6:8,

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17,

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." Malachi 3:6,

"Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off." Psalm 139:2.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is?
    Romans 8:16, ". . . The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: . . ."
    Or before that?
    Romans 10:13, ". . . For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. . . ."

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I don't view God reacting, expressing His nature, ect. as contrary to God as described in Scripture.

We had the debate on God having emotions a few years ago. Well....probably more than a few. It was interesting. But one idea was that God is pretty much static.

14. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is plenty of context in Romans 10 just prior to Romans 10:13, which shows the word of God is used in having been preached the Gospel to the lost soul for Conviction of their sin and in saving their soul, prior to their showing evidence they are saved by then, being able to believe, 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved," with the emphasis of " whosoever believeth", being whosoever Jew or Gentile.

8b; "The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Bible teaches that only a saved saint, who's soul has been saved by God, can then pray and be heard by God and call on Him Whom they have believed, prior to them calling.

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?

"and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? Romans 10:14,

"Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth." John 9:31.

Only a saved saint, who's soul has been saved by God, can be a worshipper of God, and do his will.

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." John 6:63.

The soul that is Born Again, then has The Indwelling Spirit of God that Jesus Christ uses as their Mediator for them to have the Spiritual capacity to have the great gulf bridged, between their soul and God, Who is Spirit.

A soul that is saved has The Holy Spirit to Make Intercession, to God.

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26.

A soul that is saved has their Savior as their Mediator.

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" I Timothy 2:5.

The soul that is saved already has a Father in Heaven that they are Enabled to come before His Throne and can ask, according to His Will.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. Matthew 6:8.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question -. Is God responding to man to be taken literally or is this anthropomorphic?

Since humans are made in some way in the likeness of God, the fact that God acts in a manner similar to our characteristics does not suggest the verse does not mean what it says.

Actually the false teaching is that since God is described as having hands, arms, eyes, and He is actually spirit, i.e. non physical, these illustrations prove we can claim God's word does not mean what it says. This false teaching is used by those who seek to rewrite scripture according to man-made doctrines.

Actually these "anthropomorphic illustrations" demonstrate truth, God is aware of everything happening in His creation, i.e. His eyes are everywhere, and God can forcefully influence and alter His creation, using His "arms and hands."

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 4:19, ". . . We love him, because he first loved us. . . ."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess the point I’m making is that God is always “acting”, not reacting, in His interactions with people, according to His will. I get your point it appears to be both acting and reacting, and I suppose you could make a case that His “reacting” to what we do is also part of His predetermined will and plan.

I think AustinC is right, however, about anthropomorphic condescension so that we can have a closer relationship with God.

In any case, it’s not really a battle worth fighting, imo. Let each be convinced in his own mind.

peace to you

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree it does isn't worth fighting over. It is pure philosophy. But it is interesting because it explains differences in how we view God.

I understand both positions. That said, I do believe that God answers prayers, discipline us, punishes sin, ect.

The issue is whether God has an actual relationship with man or if this relationship is anthropomorphic.

I wonder if it is different if we replace the word "God" with "Jesus".

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting distinction you have made. If our relationship that God is marked by anthropomorphic condescension, is it no longer an “actual” relationship?

Can you have an actual relationship with someone that cannot really understand you? Someone with severe mental impairment, for instance?

I’d say our understanding this side of heaven is scarred by limited ability and sin. We only see and know “in part” now. In heaven, we will know perfectly and praise God forever.

peace to you

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting when you bring it to our relationships with one another. I'd say at a very meaningful way we can understand those with whom we have allowed into our lives. But on a larger scale there are depths that others cannot fully understand and we cannot fully communicate. Others can only understand us and relate to us to the extent we can reveal to them about us in a meaningful way.

Concerning God, if His interactions with us are one sided and anthropomorphic then I would say no true relationship exists.