1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God respond to Man?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 14, 2023.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, a question.

If our interaction with God is marked by anthropomorphic condescension, does that necessarily mean it is one sided?

Personally, I’ll have to ponder that for a while, though off the cuff I’d say no.

peace to you

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be one sided by necessity as our action would not be a part of the "relationship". God would not react to man sinning by punishing sin (as that "response" would be anthropomorphic). Same with "answering prayers", etc.

Note - I am not saying there is no room for anthropomorphism. But if God is unable to react to man, even if this reaction is a part of His predetermined plan, then no genuine relationship exists. God is static in terms of human interaction.

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the use of “unable” isn’t necessary for this discussion. The question isn’t “ability” but reality.

Is God always “acting” to carry out His predetermined plan? Do all of His interactions with humans further His plan? Are the apparent “reactions” of God (punishing sin, answering prayers, etc) actually part of His predetermined plan?

Like I said, I’ll ponder this a while.

peace to you

4. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Et cetera is etc.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I missed the period after “etc.”

The question is…. Was I predestined to make that mistake and were you predestined to correct it?

peace to you

6. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 5:17 "But Jesus answered them,
    My Father worketh hitherto, and I work."

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a lot that we cannot know because God is so much above man. God reveals Himself to us. And the fullest revelation of who God is can be seen in the person of Jesus Christ.

Did Jesus react to man? I'd say He did. But at the same time His interactions were predestined.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a good point.

God the Son added humanity to His deity in the person of Jesus, and somehow “emptied” Himself.

His actions/reactions were within the scope of His humanity, so they were actual actions and reactions. He develop close relationships with specific people as any human being would. He ate when He was hungry, slept when tired, weeped when seeing the grief of those He loved at the death of Lazarus knowing He would soon raise Him from the dead.

And He said “if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father”

hummmmmm……….

Ok, you have convinced me, JonC. It is both. It is actual action/reaction and it is predestined.

peace to you

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously to claim everything is predestined is unbiblical because God says some things happen by chance. Full stop

10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's etc. Not ect. That would be "ec terera", when it's actually "et cetera". Very simple word--etc.

You were not predestined to make the error--it was your choice. It's easy to type it correctly, at least once in a while. :rolleyes:

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God's character can be characterized by love (1 John 4:16), then God must respond to humankind.

Love requires an interactive relationship, including responses to appeals from the other person in the love relationship.

You can know you have gone overboard on the sovereignty of God when you turn God into an unresponsive heavenly Father (Matthew 7:7-11).

• Like Like x 1