1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Talk to You?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Jul 8, 2008.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here are a couple instances that I will tell everyone about....neither tme was the voice of God "audible", but I gotHis message loud and clear. One time, God was "pressing" me to d something I was balking at doing(laer when I did it, it was a smooth as silk, I guess His way of showing me His way is always best), and I was praying to God to help me in my day to day walk with me, and help me to grow in Him. All of a sudden, this "small, still voice" said, "why should I do this for you, when you won't do what I want you to do for me"? It was that plain in my head!! Needless to say, I did what He was wanting me to do!!

Another incident happened a while back. I was in bed, and in my mind I was thinking of the word "salvation" and how in Psalms, David wanted the joy of his salvation restrored. I was wondering if the word "salvation" in the OT and NT meant the same, and I thought about getting up and getting my Strong's and seeing what each meant in the Greek and Hebrew. I thought that I might wake Tracy up(my wife), so I thought to myself, I would do this later that day. All of a sudden, that "smal, still voice" said, "do you serve Tracy, or me"? Needless to say, I got up and went and got the Strong's and found that the wrd "salvation" meant virtually the same thing. These are two experiences I have had, FWIW!!

Willis

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Amen to that!

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No question about that. I guess I have a morbid fascination with some of these jokers.

4. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I asked God for like an clear definite sign that my marriage is over and low and behold 2 weeks ago boom! Just like that ..I was like thank you so much God now I definitely know! I just love those closed doors because I know he is going to open a new door and have an even better opportunity for me.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hope that in my OP I didn't come across as skeptical. Many of your stories match my own experience. I believe that when God has something for us, he will not hide it. He will reveal it to us in one way or the other.

I Cor 2:14 "Spiritual things are spiritually discerned."

When I was asked to go on a mission trip to Romania, I really didn't want to go. I even had my excuses all lined up. But God cut me off at every turn, and shredded all those excuses. He never spoke to me audibly, but I had no doubt that he intended for me to go to Romania. When I finally yielded, there arose within me an intense desire to go.

Actually, until I committed to go, God beat up on me pretty badly. No still, small voice, but I got the message. Does this match any of your own experiences?

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have to tell this story. One of my former pastors also taught at a nearby Bible College. He taught homiletics, and emphasized expository preaching. Each student (mostly preacher boys) had to preach an expository sermon in the class.

One young man, however, who was already involved in an evangelistic ministry, preached a topical sermon, and my pastor gave him an F.

The student came storming into the professor's office. "Why did you give me an F?"

"Because you preached a topical sermon."

"But God told me to preach that sermon."

"God told me to give you an F."

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in an "audible" voice. However, God has spoken to me from time to time in an immediate way which is very difficult to describe... usually when someone else is in crisis and I need to immediately go minister to them. It also happens occasionally when I am counseling someone and the Lord tells me something very specific about their life, that apparently no one else would know, in order for the other person to realize that God is aware of their situation.

But something that I can definitely say is just like hearing a human voice? Nope.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has it always been that way with you?

As far as I can tell, God has only been dealing with me through dreams since about 2003. I've had some very specific interactions with God on three different occasions where God has promised certain things about immediate family members I had been praying for. One of those promises has been fulfilled exactly (the timing and situation regarding my father's death from cancer, especially the fact that I would not see him in person again until heaven and earth are made new) because the Lord was going to spare him a lot of pain. I told no one about the promise, and he unexpectedly died the day before I was scheduled to visit him. He had just entered hospice care and was starting to get very uncomfortable. The day he died, I told my mother about that promise and she told me that they had been praying that he would not suffer.

The second dream had to do with my brother and what God was going to do to bring him to faith. (My brother is currently a hostile atheist.) Within a few weeks of that promise, I started seeing all sorts of things happening in my brother's life that are driving him toward God. I can't go into any more about it.

The third dream had to do with a difficult situation in my life that I have also been praying about for years. I can see the hand of God working in that situation (completely apart from anything I am doing) and I have faith things will happen to resolve that situation.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Allan, it's simple for me as a redeemed individual, indwelt by the Spirit of God. All I have to do is pick up my Bible and read prayerfully and then meditate on what I've read.

TC

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think a good AMEN goes here... AMEN. :thumbs:

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

From a Rick Warren sermon...

God speaks to us through the Bible

God speaks to us through gifted preachers and teachers

God speaks to us through impressions

God speaks to us through pain

Amen!

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, the dreams started coming when I was first saved. I had some trouble in church and was in danger of losing my membership over personalities between me and the Pastor. God gave me a dream, to leave that church and even told me where to go.
    My mother died and she loved roses. shortly after her death, I dreamed of mother in heaven, in a huge field of roses and they were up to her waist.

I also am warned when trouble is coming in the church of dreams of snakes. If it is a black snake, then the trouble is not going to be severe. If I dream of a copperhead or rattlesnake, the trouble is going to be very bad. It has never failed me.

I dreamed of preaching with my father, who died while I was over seas and unsaved, but he never speaks to me. I just follow him and close the service. I have dreamed this one twice.

Usually the dreams are so unusual, that there would be no way, I would be dreaming about an incident.

I have awakenen, preaching silently of course, but to the top of my lungs. Have you ever had that one, Lord can I rejoice over those.

BBob,

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

On May 24th, 2007 around 1-2 AM God saved me at work. I had called Tracy later that morning and told her what Great things God had done for me. Later that morning, I went to mom and dad's after work to tell them. As I walked in the living room, dad was sleeping in his recliner. He woke up as I walking towards him. I got down on my knees, and through the tears and bawling, I told him that God had saved his "little boy"!! He bawled, of course, as well as mom when I told her. Now, here's where I tie this story into what every one else has written. Later that morning, dad told me he was dreaming that he and I were walking together, and we walked into a room with each other when I awoke him coming into the living room. I asked him if he knew why I had came there that early, and he said at first no, but then a few seconds later, it hit him.....it was like God telling him what He did for me and that we would walk together in the Lord while we were here on earth. I am almost crying while I am typing this!!

Here's a dream God gave me several months ago. One night I was feeling depressed, and Satan was on my case, and I was kinda wondering about myself. I asked God to help me with my doubts, because I know that God saved me, but Satan does buffet me from time-to-time. That night I was dreaming that I was somewhere with a bunch of people I never knew, nor had ever met. We were waiting on the Lord to come, and about the time He was to come, I woke up!! There is no "guess work" in the Lord!! Praise His High and Holy nam!!

Willis

14. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I recall two distinct times. It was not audible; but words impressed within my mind. Both happen last year.

During prayer in seeking what to do in a difficult situation, God impressed in my mind "The Truth Will Set You Free". Against advise of others, I went with the Truth and things worked out wonderfully.

John 8:32
    ...and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

After the Truth incident above, spiritual warfare began. I was driving alone in CT one day on work related business, when God impressed in my mind, "Your going through this [spiritual warfare] because I have a plan for You". That provided great joy to receive this insight.

Jeremiah 29:11

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'

John 16:13

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

BR

#34 Brother Randall, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008