1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does it honor God to break the Sabbath memorial of creation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 6, 2013.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

ok so "now" comes the hedging? Not even a quote of the scripture you claim to honor?

Thanks. Would you mind if it the scripture was quoted now?

You know - the "Commandment" that defines the Sabbath and tells us to remember it ... "that one"??

If we are going to honor it - we should be able to bring ourselves to the point of actually quoting it.

in Christ,

Bob[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll play the game...

You first, if your going to say you honor the sabbath, bring yourself to quote it and then I will. Then we can move on....

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think everyone here has seen me quote verbatim and affirm the 4th commandment many dozens of times. (even your sideways gaming model could not possibly refute that statement)

The same cannot be said for you being well-known on this very board as one who actually quotes and affirms that commandment.

You sure you can't quote it even once in your "honoring" of the Bible Sabbath?

Not even once?

Really??

in Christ,

Bob

#42 BobRyan, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We've been around this circle before Bob.
    If you are going to be honest with yourself and with us you will have to admit that either you don't know how, or you cannot (or both) keep the Sabbath today. It is an impossible task for you to do. Admit it. You don't keep the Sabbath as it was ordered to be kept in the OT. You just don't do it.
    I have outlined in other posts what you would have to do, but for some odd reason you have always ignored those posts just like you are ignoring Steaver's right now.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I would like to also confirm your decision to obey God's commandment concerning His Sabbath. There is quite a long list, so let's take one at a time and confirm that we are obeying God's commandment to honor the Sabbath.

We have a excellent record in the OT just how the children of Israel honored God's Sabbath within their congregations. For the Sabbath is not honored at all unless it be enforced as God commanded it to be by the whole congregation. Otherwise, anyone can either take it or leave it, so we must hold our congregations accountable.

Let's begin with an example of doing any kind of work whatsoever which otherwise could not have been done before or could have waited til after the sabbath...

Num15:32 - "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day."

33 - "And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation"

34 - "And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him."

35 - "And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."

36 - "And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses."

Ok, is your congregation obeying this commandment from the LORD concerning honoring the Sabbath? Nothing has changed, correct? Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever, correct? So how is your congregation doing as to obeying this Sabbath command?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we saved by grace, or by the works of the Flesh?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    peter said that even the Jews could not keep the burden of the Law, so why expect and put that yoke on gentiles too?

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks!.

And I yours as you said
    So did you ever find the Bible Sabbath Commandment you are honoring in the actual Bible?

Wouldn't it be great to bring yourself to quote it??

Ok -- so then were do you find the one you are honoring - listed as a Bible commandment?

Indeed -- and what Bible Sabbath Commandment were they reading?

Something "in stone" maybe?

Is that the one you are honoring as you keep it each week?

Care to quote it?

Interesting - is that the commandment you are honoring?

how is it that you find the actual 4th commandment so difficult to quote in your honoring of it.

Something seems a bit fishy here.

Even your own "Baptist Confession of Faith" makes a distinction between civil laws of a theocracy and the moral law of God in the Ten Commandments.

I am sure you knew that.

Are you honoring the Sabbath as stated above - enough to actually quote it??

Does it go that far with your affirmation of God's Word on this subject?

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not at all true.

I have responded repeatedly the solution and I point out that even your own "Baptist Confession of Faith" is aware that there is a difference between civil laws and the moral law of God as found in the TEN Commandments and applicable to all mankind. (Since you say you have not read, and I have posted that section a dozen times or more to remind those who have not read it what is said there - I will gladly post a verbatim quote of it again if it you like.)

I am just happy to see that Steaver has finally decided to honor the Bible Sabbath.

Though for now he is very hard pressed to bring himself to actually quote that which he claims to be honoring - for some inexplicable reason.

in Christ,

Bob

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saved by the Law, by works of the flesh, or thru faith alone in the Son of God?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are NO longer under the law, but under Grace!

Worship on saturday, worship on Sunday, worship Mon NO difference to God, ONLY deal is to be found IN Christ!

By the way, NETHER DHK nor myself hold to "confessions of baptist faith" you love to quote, JUST the Bible is the Revelation of God!

And NONE of those reformed and Moody either hold to keeping the sabbath of isreal as you advocate they do!

#50 Yeshua1, Nov 19, 2013
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "Bible says" - "Sin is transgression of the LAW". 1John 3:4.

Paul says in Romans 6 "We are not under law but under Grace" -- so don't sin.

Romans 6

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
    15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

in Christ,

Bob

#51 BobRyan, Nov 19, 2013
  12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Bob, you are leaving out a VERY IMPORTANT part of this passage, and doing so you are skewing or distorting what it is actually saying.

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

This scripture is not saying a person has to stop sinning to be saved. It is saying that we were "sold" to sin, we once belonged to sin, we were sin's servant, just as a slave was bought in the ancient slave markets.

But now that we have believed the gospel (vs. 17) we have NOW been made free from sin and become the servants of righteousness.

We are no longer bound by sin, we now belong to Jesus Christ and have been made free from sin and the wages of sin.

This is speaking of a transfer of ownership. We no longer belong to sin, and sin cannot pay us the wage of death. We now belong to Jesus, he has bought us, he has redeemed us from the curse of the law, and his gift is eternal life.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree with these statements?

Only those who keep the Sabbath will be saved in the last days.” (Medical Ministry, p.123)

“Sunday-keeping must be the mark of the beast.” (The Marvel of Nations, Elder U. Smith pages 170, 183)

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with "paying attention to details". You may want to check some of the "quotes" you have mined because they are not as valid as you may have at first imagined.

But if you really are interested in quoting messages God gave Ellen White with the actual words as she had them printed in books and articles.

"No one has yet received the mark of the beast[FONT=&quot]".—Evangelism, 234 (1899). {LDE 224.5}
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]GC 382-383[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    "in what religious bodies are the GREATER part of the followers of Christ now to be found? Without doubt, in the various churches professing the Protestant faith". [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you want to discuss future events and prophecy about what happens at the end of the world - start a thread - I will gladly join it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]in Christ,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bob
    [/FONT]

#54 BobRyan, Nov 19, 2013
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More non answers I see.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob, you are lying. You have never answered direct questions about "how to keep the Sabbath," not here, and not on other threads. You haven't even done that here. How can you make such a bold faced lie when you haven't "instructed us on what we must do in order to keep the Sabbath," as Steaver requested on a number of times and you have not yet answered. You avoid this question like the plague.

Give specifics. What definite, specific things must a person do in order that they keep and honor the Sabbath, and back up each one with Scripture. I will expect an answer and not a lie this time.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "Bible says" - "Sin is transgression of the LAW". 1John 3:4.

Paul says in Romans 6 "We are not under law but under Grace" -- so don't sin.

Romans 6

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
    15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

It is difficult to get the exact verbatim quotes I give above - to "skew" or 'distort' - at least so far.

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

I never said "stop sinning to be saved".

What I was pointing out is that "not under law but under grace" is brought up in a context by Paul regarding the obligation of the saved saints - to honor and obey the Law of God (Sin is transgression of the law) rather then leaping off into rebellion against the Law of God.

The obedience Paul speaks of is specifically about sin against the Word and Law of God - vs obedience to it because as we all know the NT writers define "sin" as rebellion against the Law of God "sin is transgression of the Law" - 1John 3:4.

And of course it is no wonder that John would say that -
    1John 5
    2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

True but it is not just a history lesson to saints - Paul is actually arguing with the saints and making the case that they should not think lightly of sinning - because they only have two choices going forward - obeying sin or obeying God -- and this as saved saints at the point of reading this letter.

Paul is not talking about magic accounting - but rather how one lives their life either in rebellion or obedience.

in Christ,

Bob

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, Paul is showing a transfer of ownership. We WERE servants of sin, but we have believed from the heart that form of doctrine delivered us (the gospel).

This is a ONE TIME EVENT Paul is speaking of here. These persons have believed the gospel. And now they no longer belong to sin. They are no longer servants or slaves of sin, now they are servants or slaves of righteousness.

Note, we "were" servants of sin, but we have obeyed the gospel, being "then" made free from sin.

Note it also says ye "became" (past tense) the servants of righteousness.

If you believe a person must stop sinning to be saved, then you can never speak of being saved or free from sin in the past tense. But that is exactly what the scriptures show.

#58 Winman, Nov 19, 2013
  19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually - I gave "actdua" quotes from Ellen White on this subject - they just don't fit your story.

You on the other hand seem to struggle to even come up with an actual quote. Is that supposed to be "my fault"???

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Not at all true. I gave both Exodus 20:8-11 and Is 66:23 (come before Me to Worship" and Isaiah 58:13-14 and others. Would you prefer I include a verbatim quote of the texts I keep referencing?

It just does not get any easier than this.

The more you pretend you cannot/will not read these texts - and that I have not given them -- the more I will personally enjoy quoting them.

Why do you think that is working for you?

Steaver now claims he has chosen to honor the Bible Sabbath - but can't bring himself to quote the Bible commandment on the Sabbath.

There is a certain lack of sincerity in his claim at that point. Hard to take that kind of gaming seriously.

in Christ,

Bob