1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does it matter if you are elect?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by billwald, Jul 16, 2005.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

4 - did you receive a personal communication from God about your election? If So, what was its nature?

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I did, its called the Bible.

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Of one knows they are elect, one has something to boast about! What does God say about man's boasting?

4. here now

here now Member

????????????????????????????????????????????

Wes,
    What does God say about boasting?
    Just because someone could boast doesn't mean that they would.

5. here now

here now Member

I would say that if one does not think himself elect,but he does consider himself saved, then he has something to boast about. Because that means He did not choose you but rather you chose Him.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wes,
    What in tarnation is general election ? Never heard that term before, and I don't think the Calvinists on this board are general electionists.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul certainly knows he was elect, but he never boasted about it, instead he felt humbled, considering himself the chief of sinners.

The person who holds to election, and boasts about it, not in Christ, but in himself, does not understand what God's holiness is all about, and has no idea how completely rotten and leprous he looked like to God outside of Christ.

In other words, the 'boastful elect' is just as disgusting as the 'humbled whosoever'.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say that if one does not think himself elect,but he does consider himself saved, then he has something to boast about. Because that means He did not choose you but rather you chose Him. </font>[/QUOTE]Wrong. God desires that ALL come to Him and NONE perish. This happens through faith, which comes from hearing the Word of God. To say "we chose him" is a false statement. We BELIEVE hence we are saved! To believe and choose are two different things. You can CHOOSE not to believe!

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Um, if you can CHOOSE to not believe, than you can CHOOSE to believe. You can't say that one can believe and this is not a choice, but if that person does not believe then that is a choice. So which way is it?

Salvation is all of God. Even the faith one places in Christ is God's gift.

It is God who chooses us, not vice versa.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Knowing that I am one of the elect, means I am confident of my salvation- there are no doubts.

I do not boast that God saved me, but am awed by the fact the He would shower His grace upon me.

I am overwheled to think that He choose me, and it causes me to throw myself prostrate before Him in grateful worship.

Good post pinoybaptist.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You ask: Does it matter if you are elect?

I ask: Does it matter if you are saved?

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Pinoybaptist,
    Seems to me the "humbled whosoever" is exactly what God is looking for! The Scriptures declare it! "Come unto me all ye who are weak and heavy burdened, I will give you rest." "The meek shall inherit the earth" and many more timeless phrases out of the mouth of God the son.

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

YEP! Sure does!

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Wes as usual you don't understand Scripture.

Romans 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

Romans 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

15. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Choosing to believe is the only thing man can do for his salvation! Choosing to believe rests entirely in the man. God does not force anyone to believe, and in truth, God says, "For lack of knowledge my people perish" Why do people perish because they lack knowledge? Knowledge is the whole sum of what believing is based upon! You cannot believe in that for which you possess no knowledge! Scripture says you cannot be saved unless you believe!

There it is, you cannot be saved unless you believe and you cannot believe unless you possess knowledge, and believing in God is caused by knowledge you receive from God's word. It is those who believe that God saves! Nutshell Gospel!

16. billwald

billwald New Member

&gt;I ask: Does it matter if you are saved?

Ultimately but not in this life. What would I do differently if I thought I was reprobate? Probably nothing.