1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Jesus still speaks to people today as He did to Paul?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by longhino, May 4, 2012.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Pro_14:7 Leave the presence of a fool, for there you do not meet words of knowledge.

Good day.

2. longhino

longhino New Member

It is just that you cannot see any twist in the post..............

3. longhino

longhino New Member

Go back to post 55 and see what you are teaching in that post, that is the one I am talking about - Paul's words which you say are Jesus' words......

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I am saying "IF". You may settle this by plainly answering the following questions?

1. Do you believe that the word recorded in the Gospels that are attributed to Jesus are true accounts of what he said? If so, move on to two. If not, how can you appeal to it in your arguments?

2. Do you believe that the Old Testament is completely true? Jesus did. (see below, from CARM.org).

3. Do you believe that The New Testament is completely true, or do you believe that Paul & Peter inserted their own Ideas that cannot must be rejected if we are to be faithful to Jesus. (this is a somewhat different line of argument than for the OT, but we'll get to that if we need to).

TO QUOTE LONGHINO AGAIN:
    It is precisely BECAUSE I trust Jesus that I trust the rest of scripture.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The faith we need to be saved comes from the scriptures. We would not even know about Jesus if it were not for the scriptures.
    You misunderstand what Jesus is saying. Jesus is explaining to them that they search the scriptures because they think that by them they have eternal life---however, with all their searching the scriptures, they cannot even recognize the Messiah in front of them---so much for them getting eternal life from scriptures they do not even learn what will happen if they reject Jesus.
    Again, they think they possess life from the scriptures, but they do not even recognize the Lord when he is right in front of them.
    I pray you consider more carefully. I hope you do not reject the written Word of God. There you will find more knowledge about Jesus, and you will have peace.
    Jesus says to get his teachings and obey them, and then the Father and Jesus will love you, see John 14:23. Therefore, I hope you get rid of your false beliefs about the Bible not being reliable.

6. longhino

longhino New Member

Seems you cannot find any specific teaching of Jesus and God on the topic we are discussing here, can you?

Not all since the Lord taught to us that not all words in the bible attributed to Him (being the Lord God) are true accounts of what He said. Ex. in the OT is the recorded statement of God to Adam and Eve which says "by the time you eat of the fruit of......., you will surely die." The Lord Jesus told us that He did not say to Adam and Eve that "they will surely die," instead what the Lord said there is "you will be clothed in sin."

This is null and void.

No, I learned from the Lord Jesus that there are errors in it.

No, there are errors in NT, too.

Possible that they unintentionally and unwittingly inserted some ideas in accordance with how they understood Jesus statements, that is if we are to compare some of what they wrote vis a vis with what Jesus uttered then as recorded.

Ambigous statement in the sense that Jesus is real and alive and accessible to all at anytime yet you put your trust on the scriptures which is not Jesus. Why don't you come to Jesus now and ask Jesus to teach you about the scriptures so that you may know which from the scriptures are from Jesus and which ones are not?

7. longhino

longhino New Member

Where are these/your ideas in that context of John 5:39 - 40? You seem to weave something out of grains of sand.

Jesus commanded them to search the scripture if we will analyze the sentence, didn't Jesus?

That is you own understanding of those verses but to me, the Lord actually defined what scriptures are for after the first sentence by saying "and they are they which testify of me."

Let me ask you now, do people have eternal life in the scriptures/bible?

I do acknowledge the whole bible as testimony to the reality of the Lord Jesus Christ. The bible points us all to come to Jesus if we want salvation and eternal life, do you see that in the bible?

I am 100 % sure to myself that with respect to knowledge about Jesus and that of peace, salvation and eternal life, we can only find those things from the Lord Jesus Christ himself in the reality of His own existence, no more no less. Let us read the bible and come to Jesus always to ask Him (Jesus) to teach us the meaning of what we have read from it, shall we?

Jesus says to get his teachings and obey them, and then the Father and Jesus will love you, see John 14:23. Therefore, I hope you get rid of your false beliefs about the Bible not being reliable.[/QUOTE]

8. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I think I understand everything you are saying; however, that scripture still does not say what you think it does. Jesus would not put down the Scriptures in any way, for they are His words. Nor should you sound confusing by saying anything even remotely negative about the scriptures. Can you not understand that the scriptures are God-breathed? Jesus is the Word of God, and the Bible is the written Word of God. You try to pit the Apostles against Jesus, and that is a great error.

Jesus Christ the Living Savior saves a person; however, it was from the Bible that you knew what Jesus’ teachings were; it is how the saved person came to know what to believe. Are you like those who diligently study the scriptures but do not recognize the Truth?

Do you want to tell us more about your testimony? Is there something more you are trying to get at, but just coming off the wrong way perhaps?

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well, folks, here's a summary:

1. A google search of "you will be clothed in sin." reveals only ONE HIT: This thread!

2. Longhino believes it is "null and void" to ask why he appeals to Jesus's statements in the Gospels, when he himself just admitted that "NOT ALL" of what the gospels record are Jesus' actual words... Apparently only Longhino knows which ones he actually says.

3. Jesus Himself told Longhino that there are errors in the OT.

CONCLUSION: Longhino believes the only reliable information is what Jesus tells him directly NOW, not what Jesus said when he was physically on earth, since even the gospels apparently haven't recorded that correctly...It is in fact PUTTING JESUS IN A BOX to say that you actually believe what he said 2,000 years ago.

So if anyone else wants to argue with Longhino, I think he will more readily accept your arguements if you leave scripture behind and simply say, "Last night, Jesus came to me and told me this: _________________________."

I Think I'm done here.

10. longhino

longhino New Member

Were they (Adam and Eve) not created in the beginning sinless? And where they not clothed in sin by the time they ate of that fruit God forbade them to eat? Why search it in google, why can't you go come to Jesus and ask Jesus today for that issue?

I did really learned that from the Lord Jesus, even the NT accounts are with errors especially the book of Revelation.

Nope, the only reliable one is Jesus himself whom anyone can come to at anytime. You can forget those things I tell you we learned from Jesus except one, to come and call on to Jesus and wait for Jesus to respond to you should you do that.

As I said, if you will confine everything about God in the bible.............

Why don't you come to Jesus?

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus no longer speaks to us audible voice, as ALL that he wants to say to us was recorded down in the Bible, as That is JUST as much as Him speaking to us as if he was right in the room talking!

12. longhino

longhino New Member

This is exactly putting Jesus in a box, where did you get this notion from?

13. longhino

longhino New Member

Specifically speaking, what exactly is the "I think" that the scriptures does not say in accordance with your understanding?

Jesus said as recorded in John 5:39 that the scriptures are they that testify of me - testimonies to Jesus.

How do you define God-breathed? The Lord Jesus defined it to us as "allowed to be written" similar when your government allowed some documents to be published for information dissemination to the reading public.

Yes He is 100 % the only One, The Living Word of God.

The bible is a book of testimony to Jesus. The Lord never did defines the bible to be of such nature as of your own definition, did He?

Why would I pit them against Jesus, what did I say?

Face the truth, it was from the bible where people continue to make their own doctrines which gave way to proliferation of various religious denominations and various teachings about God. If we want the genuine and real teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ today, we have to come to Him and get same from Him in the reality of His existence.

The Truth, the Lord Jesus Christ is now my Good Pastor/Teacher in the bible and all things that my soul and my body need, how can I not recognize the Truth?

The right way is only the Lord Jesus Christ and He is accessible to all at anytime. What is the difference when I say "coming off the wrong way" and that of "coming off the right way?"

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From jesus, as he stated to us that all that we need to hear from God is now thru the written word of God, the Bible!

IF he was here among us in his body , he would say NOTHING other than 'read the Book!"what

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus still speaks to people today as He did to Paul?

He never called me Saul or Paul, because neither is my name.

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The scriptures testify about Jesus…so how do you think that makes it wrong to say it is the written Word of God?
    I define God-breathed as coming from God’s mouth---the Word of God is words from God’s mouth.

Please give me scripture that where Jesus says “allowed to be written.”
    The scriptures are the written Word of God.

Proverbs 30:5-6 "Every word of God is flawless: he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you aliar.

We are exhorted to check out teaching against Scripture (Isaiah 8:20; Acts 17:11.)

The Bereans of Acts 17:11, "examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so."

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to the word, they have no light of dawn.

I say this because you say things that put the Apostles against Jesus when you say you do not agree with them on things they say. For example you said, “I do not agree with Paul on that statement, Paul is not God. Jesus did not even teach that to the apostles neither did God teach that to the prophets.”
    Just because there are many false teachers, that does not mean no one can know God’s Truth.
    Because you do not recognize God’s Truth in the Bible…for when you do not agree with Paul…for I know the Truth and agree with Paul.
    Jesus spoke to me with an audible voice. He gave me His Holy Spirit, and opened the eyes of my heart. I would not know how to call on Jesus if not for the Bible. I would not know Jesus’ teachings and obey them, if not for the Bible.
    You come off the wrong way when you say there are mistakes in the Bible. You want people to ask Jesus, and yet when they tell you they have, you go against what they say. Paul speaks from wisdom from God, yet you want us to question that wisdom. Those are contradictions in what you say.

#76 Moriah, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Of course, because I only speak of God’s Word.
    The Bible is the written Word of God. Longhino goes against this fact.

He says that the Bible does not teach that what is written is the Word of God; however, the Bible clearly states that. The Apostle with the Prophets and Jesus Christ as Chief Cornerstone laid the foundation, see Ephesians 2:20, and this is what they say:

Revelation 19:13
    He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

2 Corinthians 4:2
    Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.

2 Corinthians 2:17
    Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

1 Corinthians 14:36
    Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached?

Acts 18:11
    So Paul stayed in Corinth for a year and a half, teaching them the word of God.

Acts 17:13
    But when the Jews in Thessalonica learned that Paul was preaching the word of God at Berea, some of them went there too, agitating the crowds and stirring them up.

Acts 13:46
    Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 13:7
    who was an attendant of the proconsul, Sergius Paulus. The proconsul, an intelligent man, sent for Barnabas and Saul because he wanted to hear the word of God.

Acts 13:5
    When they arrived at Salamis, they proclaimed the word of God in the Jewish synagogues. John was with them as their helper.

Acts 12:24
    But the word of God continued to spread and flourish.

Acts 11:1
    [ Peter Explains His Actions ] The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God.

Acts 8:14
    When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria.

Acts 6:7
    So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.

Acts 6:2
    So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables.

Acts 4:31
    After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

John 10:35
    If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside—

Luke 11:28
    He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”

Colossians 1:25
    I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness—

1 Thessalonians 2:13
    And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.

Longhino, 1 Thessalonians 2:13 is a powerful scripture that it explains perfectly.

1 Timothy 4:5
    because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Hebrews 13:7
    Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

1 John 2:14
    I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

18. longhino

longhino New Member

Is Jesus the bible to you? You seem to be coming from the bible, how do you say from Jesus, what is Jesus to you?

19. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey longhino, Jesus told me that the entire bible is to be viewed as God's eternal Word. Now what? Does Jesus speak out both sides of his mouth??

20. longhino

longhino New Member

How did He tell you that, what did you do? Granting He did tell you that, why now ask me what,are you in doubt with what Jesus did tell you? Did He really tell you that thing, how do you know He is Jesus in the first place? What made you convinced He is really Jesus?

Why ask me when Jesus speaks to you now? You can ask those things from Jesus, can't you?