1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Life Begin at Conception?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2011.

?
  1. Yes....

32 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No...

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. To believe this is not radical or extreme...

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Here's what I believe.... (see comment)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good questions. At what point do these things become fully functioning *independent* lifeforms?

Cats aren't cats until they are born. Oaks aren't oaks until the seed sprouts (that's why they are called seeds lol). Are humans human before they breathe air? Ah, no one wants to answer that, but God did and folks can look it up.

Two places God specifically tells us that human life exists within: breath and blood. One can't be live without either of these. That too is scientific fact.

When human life begins will be a matter of debate until we cross to the other side.

2. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Can't pass up this opportunity to pass along this funny story; A Priest a Minister and a Rabbi were discussing this subject, the Minister said life begins at birh while the Priest insisted it began at conception.Turning to the Rabbi who chimed in "Life really begins when both kids go away to college and the dog dies."

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Yes, all life is the will of God, no matter the circumstances of humans.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When one receives the Holy Spirit from God the Father through Jesus, that is the Spirit of adoption awaiting the adoption to wit, is he then conceived of God or is he born of God?

Do not be swift to answer. Just what is the adoption to wit relative to being a child of God when taking the following verse into account: Luke 20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.? Is this moment of being the same as the moment of the adoption to wit?

In order to enter the kingdom of God would one have to be both born of the flesh and then also born of the Spirit?

This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have You Ever Considered a Career in Politics???

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

My wife is 6 months pregnant. I felt the baby kick tonight. When we had her fist appointment, we heard the heart beat. There is life there.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that scripture says that while in the womb, He knew us?

Breath and blood are both available in the womb. The heart starts forming, and blood starts flowing, before the 8th week. Oxygen is provided via diffusion through the placenta.

So yes, breath and blood; and scripture tells us He knew us in the womb.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I heard it before and I don’t consider it that good of a question, but more of an illogical argument to condone an atrocious selfish act.

In psychology class a couple years ago I got into a debate with a lady over a woman’s right to do as she wished concerning being responsible for an unborn child. To make matters worse she agreed that she thought an unborn baby was a life and said she wouldn't abort one but she argued she didn’t feel she had the right to tell another what to do with want was inside their body. I said, “Are you then saying you think it’s okay for someone else to commit murder?” She replied, “NO, but the baby is *dependent* on the mother for survival while it is in her body and it’s her body.” I said, “Isn’t a two year old *dependent* on its mother to feed it for survival? If the mother has the right not to have a child be *dependent* on her and you don’t think moral laws should be imposed on her why isn’t it okay for her to chop up her two year old up with an axe?”

That “inability to live independently of the mother” argument to qualify a baby as a life or not and then to justify murdering it amounts to nothing more but selfish reasoning to avoid responsibility for another life. The baby is not just part of the mother’s body; it has its own separate DNA.

BTW, I wonder how many adults today are truly *independent* lifeforms since they probably couldn’t provide their own food without depending on a farmer to supply it to the grocery store.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW I voted yes today in Mississippi.

However we lost and it will more than likely be a loss for the country.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If That's You View, That's Fine, But....

....I say "ba humbug!" :laugh:

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

So, what was amatter with your wife's fist? I pray that is wasn't broken by banging you over the head with it....:laugh:

Just kidding Brother. Your wife, you, and that "precious little cargo" will be in my prayers. Love you Brother.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Congratulations!! Isn't pregnancy the most amazing and humbling thing ever? I had a lot of monitoring in the early weeks of many of my pregnancies (due to fertility treatments) and to watch that little bean grow was the most incredible thing ever. :)

14. menageriekeeper

Oh 8th week (it's actually the 6th but whatever), either way, that means there is a period of time where neither is available to the developing embryo. So, is there personhood or is there potential personhood?

You also need to go back and read your scripture in context. All these scriptures that people quote to prove personhood at the moment of conception say nothing of conception at all and in context apply only to the person speaking the words. It takes them out of context to apply them generally to every single fertilized egg out there.

Every time you see the word "conceived" in scripture, you see right next to it "brought forth". That means two things had to happen before there was a person. People don't like this, *I* don't like it, but we either have to go with a clear reading of scripture or we have to twist the scriptures to support our own position.

A better defense of the unborn comes not from unsupportable theories on when a fertilized egg becomes a person with a soul but by "children are an heritage from the Lord". That moves us OUT of the politcal arena back to where we belong: changing hearts and minds so that the children who are born are properly cared for and taught.

We worry about the unborn getting here, but once they are, who is there to raise them? Do you know how many teenagers frequent my house simply because they've discovered I'm here and their own parents aren't? How many little kids are shoved into daycare because we've failed to raise women to be mothers?

We are focusing on the wrong issue. Lets get back to preaching the gospel and the rest will follow along.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies for not making myself clear; the embryo has blood and breath (oxygen) available from conception.

"Potential" is a misnomer. It doesn't have the potential to be anything but a person.

The principle is clear: we were wonderfully made, and He knew us while we were in the womb.

So if they're unwanted, or there's a potential of being unwanted, your argument is that it's better to kill them before they have to experience that?

16. mandym

mandym New Member

I do not believe that not believing in life at conception is about knowing and believing in the truth. It appears, more than anything else, to be an accommodation to something else. Very sad Christians would take part in and have a need for this accommodation.

17. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that is because you see the truth in the posters statement as you give nothing but a one-liner which adds nothing to the discussion. :wavey:

The questions are relevant to the thread and deserve a thoughtful answer, regardless of what that answer might be. I understand this is a very emotional topic. I assume the OP did not mean human life as that is a taboo subject on this BB. :sleeping_2:

Well meaning, thoughtful people take differing opinions on this, as indeed on many topics, but the topic still deserves rational, thoughtful replies.

18. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea why you would assume that the OP was not concerning human life. The subject is not taboo here but suggesting that life does not begin at conception is.

I do understand why you make claim to such a conclusion though and your sentiments have been noted.

19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we have been told by administrators on the board that anyone who does not agree with this idea may well be banned for life. If they have not said this, then I have misunderstood their comments in the past.

Post number 5 on this thread states:

This is why I made my comment. Also the word 'life' was never defined.

20. menageriekeeper

How to say this. Gently. I'm pretty sure I've already said it somewhere. Let me see if I can be clear.

There is a difference between "person hood" and "life". To be alive, well plants are alive, but they aren't persons.

At the moment of conception (egg meets sperm) there is life, but is there person hood? To my mind the answer is no. There is the potential for person hood. There is also a second potential: that nothing at all will develop or that the mother's body will reject implantation or later on the entire pregnancy for reasons we can't understand. (miscarriages happen every day). There is a potential for person hood and there is life. But we live in a corrupted world and many potentials aren't realized.

Acorns have the potential to become giant oaks. But they also have the potential to become lunch for a squirrel.

Of course if we could answer this question of when God endows a soul we wouldn't have the whole issue of abortion to debate. But to say it happens immediately upon fertilization goes beyond the point of reason when we know many many fertilized eggs do no go on to produce live babies.