1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Obama have a mandate?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fifty-nine percent (59%) of U.S. voters worry that Congress and President Obama will increase government spending too much in the next year or two, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

More Here

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Obama have a mandate?

It wouldn't be shocking as information that he's dating a man on the side.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Want to see how reliable polling the American people are? 13% says spending will go down under Obama and he's already asked for the largest stimulus package in history. Then there is 15% who says it will stay the same. When you add the 9% that are not sure it means 37% of those polled don't have a clue what is going on...

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Got that pretty much right!

Interesting how the polls etc, make it seem everyone is already trying to count their chickens before they hatch! I guess it keeps them distracted from reality.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Well, here's the results of the last 3 presidential elections:

Year Candidate Popular Vote Electoral Vote

2000 GW Bush 50,456,002 271
    Al Gore 50,999,897 266

2004 GW Bush 62,028,285 286
    John Kerry 59,028,109 251

2006 B Obama 66,862,039 365
    J McCain 58,319,442 173

It's pretty clear to me who had a mandate and who didn't.

6. targus

targus New Member

I guessing that you believe that Obama had a mandate.

To do what exactly?

His campaign was nothing more that jingoisms...

Change
    Yes we can
    Ect.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Did Reagan have a mandate in 1984 when he won an electoral landslide? What about Bush in '88? Just because someone wins big doesn't mean a mandate is parallel. And just because someone eeks out a victory doesn't mean there isn't a mandate.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I don't think those numbers represent a mandate for Obama.

I think what is represent is the simple fact that the GOP and Bush lost the confidence of the people so the people turned to the next party.

(some of us turned to a third party candidate)

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Reagan had a mandate for less government however, he rose the deficit to some record highs... I guess we don't always get what we ask for.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bush showed the idea of a mandate is a myth. He lost the popular vote in 2000 and I remember there were editorials on how because he did not have a mandate he would have to move slowly. But from day one he was full steam ahead ... showing, as I said above, that the ideaof a mandate is a myth.

In 2004 Bush won with 51% of the vote and immediately the White House declared a mandate.

So, if Bush was right in 2004 that 51% constituted a mandate, then Obama has a bigger mandate ... but as we know from 2000 the mandate is a myth.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A nice victory, yes.

Mandate? No.

In 9 out of 16 Presidential contests in my lifetime, the winner received a larger share of the Popular vote and a larger number of electoral votes, than did President Obama.

"Mandate", if there really is any such thing belongs, to the elections of 1936, 1964, 1972, and 1984, in the elections since 1900. Those were "mandates" of overwhelming proportions.

And the number of votes Senator McCain received in defeat, would have easily made him the biggest 'landslide' winner in history, for any election preceding 2004.

I suggest that those who "read the tea leaves' of most elections to find a "mandate" usually have an undue and undeserved confidence in their own psychic abilities.

Ed