1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does posting bible verses violate the BB Copyright rules?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by gtbuzzarp, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Not sure what forum this belongs in, but...

Ok, Bible drill time, crack open the front covers of your Bibles (if you don't have a KJV) and tell me if it says anything about reprinting any portion of it?

It is my understanding that except for the KJV, if you write a book, etc, and quote Scripture you must get permission by the holder of the Copyright holder (such as Thomas Nelson).

If that is the case, then technically speaking, if we post Scripture from any version other than KJV aren't we violating the BB rules for posting copyrighted material? (as well as in violation of the copyright of the copyright holder?)

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

If that's the case, then the moderators will have to show a lot of us the door. [​IMG]

Apparently this is not the intent of the copyright rule. It is only normal for someone to back up their feelings with Scripture.

3. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

gtbuzzarp,

You are absolutely right. The front of my NASB, NIV, and my ESV all say I am not allowed to quote scripture from them without express permission from the copyright holders of each particular version.

I will switch to KJV.

4. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Copyright law generally allows quotation of portions of a copyrighted work without obtaining prior permission. Generally you must acknowledge the work in a footnote, endnote, bibliography, etc. It has been a very long time since I wrote a research paper so I could be off in some of the details, but I cannot understand how the quoting of a passage of Scripture violates copyright law. copyright law is intended to prevent the unauthorized reproduction of a work - it does not prevent quoting a work. The statutory doctrine of "fair use" comes into play. See www.copyright.gov for details.

5. standingfirminChrist

Keith,

If the book itself says one cannot use passages out of it without express written permission, then one must get express written permission.

Not hard to understand.

6. Pete

Pete New Member

Zondervan - NIV/TNIV/NIrV Bible Permission Guidelines

As for the KJV, NO ...or maybe YES :confused: [​IMG]

I dunno if Zondervan would think about sending the law after everyone who quotes the NIV on the BB, but personally I'ld rather take my chances with it just in case there is a problem with the KJV and Betty Windsor comes charging at me with an axe yelling "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" :eek: ;)

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Thanks Pete, I suspected as much.

Here's a section from it:

The NIV, TNIV, and NIrV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses or less without written permission, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible, nor do verses quoted account for 25 percent (25%) or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted, and the verses are not being quoted in a commentary or other Biblical reference work. This permission is contingent upon an appropriate copyright acknowledgment, see ‘written use’ section below.

8. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

lessee now...

was my last post from the NASB my 498th verse? or 499th?

Oh my, I cannot post from that Bible again. Oh well, there are many other versions out there.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's not quite true. Even they have to follow the law. For example, music companies tell you that it's illegal to copy a CD. However, the law specifically gives you permission for backup/personal use. You may convert it to mp3 and put it on your personal player, but you may not sell/share it with others.

Also, copyright holders cannot prevent you from legally using copyrighted material. Example: Rush Limbaugh uses a song by the Pretenders for his intro music. They told him he couldn't. The law says they can't stop him, since he's paying the royalties for the song.

10. KeithS

KeithS New Member

standingfirm - lets not be condescending. You may be correct and I may be wrong, but I do not think so. I DO KNOW that according to US Copyright Law there is an exemption called "fair use" which allows for the limited quotation of copyrighted works WITHOUT prior permission from the publisher (or copyright holder). I am NOT aware of ANY copyright holder having the right to exempt themselves from "fair use". Therefore I do not believe I am wrong.

I provided a reference to copyright.gov which explains this for those willing to do the research. I did not review the site thoroughly, but again, I am not aware of any copyright hold being allowed to exempt themselves from "fair use". Please provide an article which disputes this interpretation.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was that said in jest???
    Read the copyright statement again slowly.

If you still don't understand it then you may have problems interpreting the KJV,
    perhaps you should try the TNIV :D

Rob

12. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Perhaps we should explain it.....it seems some are of our KJVO brothers are struggling with reading comprehension.

It would be rather clear to pretty much anyone who does not have an agenda that this means PER WORK. For example, if one quotes from 100 verses in one work, and follows all other copyrights, that person does not have 400 left for the rest of their life. I honestly couldnt see how anyone with a working brain would think that, so it just comes down to another case of intellectual dishonesty by KJVO. They know thats not what it means, but they claim it anyway. Its amazing how dumb they want us to think they are sometimes!

BTW, when the KJV was new, it did have a copyright. When the NASB is 400 years old, it wont demand its copyright either.

Honestly, I dont see how any grown adult with full mind capacity would think any differently.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV is still under copyright.

14. kubel

kubel New Member

"Fair Use"

As far as I'm aware, the KJV does still has a copyright and is still required to be licensed today. It's just not enforced anywhere but in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJV#Copyright_status

15. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

So does the 25% rule apply to a single post? I think that one would be hard to keep.

In regard to the NASB:

So ought we really be posting the copyright info everytime we quote Scripture?

16. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Handy-dandy copyright infor on a plethora of translations in many languages can be found here:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

Just click on the version and you can see that the Arabic Life Application Bible cannot be posted on here!

Good thing English is the language of the BB :D

17. kubel

kubel New Member

Here's more info on the (local) KJV copyright:

From "A Brief Guide to Liturgical Copyright", Liturgical Texts for Local Use:
    Copyright Information, THIRD EDITION

18. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Interesting, according to Biblegateway the KJV (AV) is public domain in the US.

19. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Claudia could be in trouble. :D ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. KeithS

KeithS New Member

To the victor belongs the spoils. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.