1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Satan have a son called Mammon?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ben W, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I watched that film by Keanu Reeves - Constantine which loosly follows a story about how Mammon the son of Satan leads a rebellion and the demons that follow him attempt to enter from the Spiritual Realm into the earth.

In researching the term Mammon, is it either a Syrian term for money, or it is suggested that the way it is rendered in the Bible means that Mammon is a deity who uses lust for money to ensnare people.

Interested in your thoughts, here is an article from the Catholic Encyclopedia

- Mammon

Mamona; the spelling Mammona is contrary to the textual evidence and seems not to occur in printed Bibles till the edition of Elzevir. The derivation of the word is uncertain, perhaps from mmn as seen in mtmwn, though the Targums, which use the word frequently, never regard it as the equivalent of mtmwn, which the Greek always renders thesauroi, cf. Job, iii, 4; Prov., ii, 4. But cf. also Hebrew Ecclus., xlii, 9, bth l'b mtmnt sqr where the margin reads mtmwn, "to the father his daughter is as ill-gotten treasure." In the New Testament only Matt., vi, 24, and Luke, xvi, 9, 11, 13, the latter verse repeating Matt., vi, 24. In Luke, xvi, 9 and 11 Mammon is personified, hence the prevalent notion, emphasized by Milton, that Mammon was a deity. Nothing definite can be adduced from the Fathers in support of this; most of their expressions which seem to favour it may be easily explained by the personification in Luke; e.g. "Didascalia", "Do solo Mammona cogitant, quorum Deus est sacculus"; similarly St. Augustine, "Lucrum Punice Mammon dicitur" (Serm. on Mt., ii); St. Jerome in one place goes near to such an identification when (Dial. cum Lucif., 5) he quotes the words: "No man can serve two masters", and then adds, "What concord hath Christ with Belial?" But in his "Commentary on Matt," and in Ep. xxii, 31, he lends no countenance to it: "'Ye cannot serve God and Mammon.' Riches, that is; for in the heathen tongue of the Syrians riches are called Mammon." But Mammon was commonly regarded as a deity in the Middle Ages; thus Peter Lombard (II, dist. 6) says, "Riches are called by the name of a devil, namely Mammon, for Mammon is the name of a devil, by which name riches are called according to the Syrian tongue." Piers Plowman also regards Mammon as a deity

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09580b.htm

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

IF Mammon were the son of Satan he certainly would not be diety. Satan is an angel and it is NEVER mentioned in scripture that he had a son. The movie Constantine is just that. A movie. Entertainment. No scriptural accuracy or real basis. Garbage.

Ben, Isn't it amazing what folks can come up with?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting...

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Just where in Scripture does it say Satan was is an angel?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Saw the movie a few weeks ago, about as far as you can get from anything scriptural, actually it was so bad I would even begin to wonder if anyting in it were true. Being christians and knowing and understanding the truth it wasn't even entertaining for us.

6. natters

natters New Member

I thought the movie was great. Very enjoyable. [​IMG]

7. Michael Hobbs

Michael Hobbs New Member

Saw the movie also and thought the part about Jesus being killed by the "Spear of Destiny" a hoot.

John 19:33-34 [KJV]
    33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
    34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

As Soulman said:

8. Michael Hobbs

Michael Hobbs New Member

OldRegular wrote:
    I'll bite.

Isaiah 14:12

9. LaymansTermsPlease

Watched the DVD last night.

Exactly, that's why I much prefer sci-fi [​IMG]

I told my wife the sad part was that folks who don't know anything about Christianity except from movies like this would have a really warped idea of what we really believe (spears, half-breeds, sons of satan trying to take over, a "deal" of "neutrality" between God and satan, mortal and venial sins, "earning" your way to heaven with a personal sacrifice, etc.).

Of course, I supppose our beliefs have been misrepresented since the heathens in Rome started reporting that we were cannibals who had orgies.

About the only thing right in the movie was that the satan character appeared clean in a white suit rather than some cloven-hooves and horns motif.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is interesting is why it was believed that Christians were into Cannabalism. They told people that the communion was the Body and the Blood of Christ, and the rumor went from there.