1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

does size really matter?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Feb 19, 2006.

1. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

(quote) Babmom

[ I do think that when a church grows to "mega" size then it would serve it's purpose better to begin satellite churches in outlying communities and start up those areas of ministry as well]

I tend to agree with you on this..... and I believe Scriptures sorta indicate such should be done......seems when the church at Jerusalem was grown to mega size, God interviened and scattered them out to the other parts of the world at that time, to spread the Gospel to others

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But God didn't do that to the churches in Rome and Ephesus when they got big.

I agree that God scattered the church at Jerusalem. But I don't believe it was because it was too big, but because there was too much inertia keeping the church from going out and it was too insular to the Jewish people.

3. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

You can be right Golden Dragon...I am not infering that this was the only reason for the scattering....Just pointing out that I see a trend for people to flock to mega churches and get good and comfortable in the realm of numbers...and lose sight of the multitudes of places where possible new Church plants could be started.

4. ronnieward

ronnieward New Member

5. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I mentioned the forums thingie mainly because they can get so huuge like parize or christianforums.com and again FYG , but they hardly seem Christian at all, so is it worth making forums larger than MySpace, MSN, AOL, and Yahoo Messenger combined? Is there any such thing as a 'Church' Forum?

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Ah, the important things in worshipping God. I can only hope that CraigbytheSea's post was satire, but there are so many today who truly have this attitude.

My personal experience is that in most large churches, the messages have to be watered down to appeal to large groups of people and not to offend the larger contributors. I've known many Baptist preachers who have been run off, not because their messages were wrong, but because they were "offensive" to those in power.

As for missionaries, why should a church send a little bit to a bunch of different missionaries? Why not support one fully (or to the best of your ability)?

Our church is technically a mission church, but we take in no mission money, and we send some out. How do we do that? We emulate Paul and we're tentmakers. In an area that can't be done? Then why depend upon a "mission board" or 40 churches? Why not depend upon 1 or 2 churches and be like a "satellite" church?

The most popular churches are usually the biggest, but they're also usually the most appealing to the world. The biggest church here has concerts, a baskeball court, etc., but their sermons consist of 3 feel-good points, and an appeal for more money to support the programs.

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]