1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does something seem not quite right here?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ulsterman, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's philosophically impure. Goth is obsessed with darkness, death, etc., so Goth is contradictory to coming out of darkness into the light (which is the quote they use).

Maybe it's an acceptable alternative for those with kids who are fighting to wear Goth style just for the sake of style. I don't know.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that few people who are goth stay that way long term. It is something they experiment with and may identify with for a period, but often move on from. However, I can't see the goth lifestyle and thought processes being compatible long term with any life, especially a Christian one.

I can understand Christians going through a goth phase and goths becoming Christians. This site could minister to them and some of the articles appear to be support for those goth Christians who have been "rejected" by the church for their appearance and attitudes. And that is often the unifying feature of goth, their common rejection by the "norms" of society. I believe they are one example of the rejected and marginalized people that Christ ministered to in his time on earth. I don't think we should always expect an instant turnaround of lifestyles and attitudes once someone becomes a Christian.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

My daughter wanted to wear Goth clothes and stuff. I wouldn't allow her. As it turned out, she gave up on it and it never escalated after the first few weeks. However, if it had turned into a monumental power struggle, I might have allowed her to wear Christian Goth. It might have allowed her to get it out of her system without actually going full-Goth. I can't say that would have been acceptable because it never came to that. I'm just speculating a bit.

Goth and Christianity are philosophically incompatible, but then I would have said Christianity and heavy metal were incompatible, too -- and I was proved wrong by Iron Butterfly and Petra. ;)

5. stevecleary

stevecleary New Member

Well said. Jesus dealt with and continues to deal with all kinds of people, including maybe even people like me and you. Perhaps if we listened just a little bit more instead of trying to shoot from the lip at times, God might just surprise us....:love2:

6. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Iron Butterfly? Really? Never heard that before. Interesting...

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

A friend of mine gave me the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, album back in '70. My dad took a look at it and told me to take it back to him. Today I have it on my iPod. There are times that I just can't get it out of my head. :BangHead: I know it's a sad life. :sleep:

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, nobody knows for sure, and it was probably only one member who was a Christian. I was just kidding about them. Their most famous song, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", was "In the Garden of Eden". The rumor was that Doug Ingle was drunk and slurred the words, which led to the way the title ended up. I don't buy that, but nobody has 'fessed up one way or another. If you listen to Doug Ingle's organ solos, etc., it seems pretty obvious he used to play church organ.

There's a Simpson's episode where (I think Bart switches the music) the church sings "In the Garden of Eden" as a hymn (it's the same song but with a "fixed" title). It's a 17 minute song, so it lends itself to some good sight gags.