1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the bible teach that glory and honor is unique to God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

All my life I've heard preachers/teachers/authors talk about how man is to receive no glory or honor, but that God is to get it all. As if, any glory or honor shown to man is somehow wrong.

But, is that what scripture teaches?

Philippians 2:29
    Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him.

I Cor. 2:7
    No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

Now, I believe even the glory and honor shown man is an ultimate reflection of God's glory and honor, but nevertheless there is a place for showing honor and glory to individuals, right?

Do we go beyond the scriptures intent when we refuse to recognize that its authors didn't hesitate to credit a person for their faithfulness, obedience or good deeds? Is that "taking praise or glory from God?" If so, why do we see it being done throughout scripture?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This is touchy.

Ironically John Piper's Desiring God argues a bit along your lines quite a bit. Have you read this? If not, I highly recommend it. Start with his short Dangerous Duty of Delight. Most will not read him because he's reformed. Like me, he gets accused of being reformed by non-reformed, and accused of being non-reformed by the reformed. :thumbs:

His latest sin? Sharing the platform with Rick Warren. Crucify HIM! CRUICIFY HIM! :laugh:

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I have read that, but it has been a long time...a very long time. Piper was one of my theological heroes back in my "Calvinistic" decade. :) I even had him come speak at one of our conferences. He is a very humble and Christ-like man. I have great respect for him and I always will.

Even with our obvious differences I bet I still agree with 90% of what he writes and preaches. That surprises people but if they study both Calvin and Arminian they will see there wasn't a whole lot of differences in what they taught either in the great scheme of things.