1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the God you serve repent?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by stanleyg, Oct 5, 2006.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Does the God you serve repent ? If so, then you and I most certainly serve different Gods. My God doesn't lie nor repent. His word is perfect. He can't error as yours.

Sure, we may study the same Word of Truth. Yet, there are two versions to the truth, same as there are two sides to each coin. Your God gives His version of the truth and my God gives His. The question is which version of the truth do we trust? Whichever version we trust is where we lay our faith.

God (i.e. creator) gave Adam his version of the truth that thou shalt surely die. The serpent gave Eve his version of the truth that ye shall not surely die. Eve trusted the serpent's version of the truth. Adam tailed along behind Eve like a puppy. In essence, Eve rose as the head and Adam curled up as her tail.
    Amen !

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm sorry about this one, stanleyg! (However that does not*mean that I repent*, here! :rolleyes:) But I cannot completely or totally* agree with you on this one. Over 30 times in the OT either the LORD or God is said to repent or not repent. Compare that with only one person in the OT is ever* said, as an individual, to repent, and that is Job. And in fact, you actually quoted Gen. 6:6 to the effect that "...it repented the LORD...". And then you cite Num. 23:19 where something else is said, that might be seen at a glance, as contradictory.

Perhaps the real problem*is that we need to re-think the common usage of the word 'repent', with*a more Biblical, and a less theological meaning, in the usage, and get away from the usual idea that 'repent' has to do with sin or sins*, per se.

Ed

P.S. I attempted to show that others can embellish*text, as well. :tongue3:

"*" means I hit a different color, some way or other, as opposed to 'blue' :rolleyes:

#2 EdSutton, Oct 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

PHP:
    The serpent gave Eve his version of the truth that ye shall not surely die.
    Actually, I think the serpent gave Eve his version of a lie

4. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Even if you change the definition of repent to mean whatever you are talking about the context concerning Noah remains the same that your God was disappointed with His own creation and decided to destroy it. The latter would connotate that your God made a mistake when He made man or didn't foresee the outcome of His creation. Your God had to return to the drawing board and start all over again. He didn't fix the problem, because man is still as corrupt.

My God is the Father of Jesus. He formed the world from the beginning and is aware of its ending. Everything is going exactly as planned. My God is going to purify His earth with fire. Each branch or fruit that is rotten will be burned. There isn't anything that anyone can do to alter the course that my God has set into motion. His word is final! He has left us with the choice to receive the baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost or receive purification through perdition.

Amen!

5. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

Amy. G, you have lied on the serpent.

The author of any statement is the only one, who can define the context of the terms being stated.

God asserts the term "die" in a spiritual context.

The serpent asserts the term "die" in a carnal context.

Since each is the author of their own statement, then both told the truth.

The problem is that Adam or Eve didn't inquire with either God or the serpent to define the context of the word "die".

Each assumed that both were speaking about dying in the same sense of the word.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, first off, I am not participating in the exercise of embellishing and underlining words again, unless I have a good reason, but merely did that before for effect.
    Second, I did not mention Noah, at all.
    Third, I don't believe I even gave a definition of repent in the first place, so how could I change it, here. However, I will give one shortly.
    Now to the particulars. You wrote:
    In the first place, I am, for myself, as one living in the dispensation of the grace of God (Eph. 3:2), defining "repent" as to its most common NT usage, namely to change one's mind, hence I said that although 'I was sorry about disagreeing with your POV, I did not repent, here.
    However as to Gen. 6:5-8, the Scripture says:
    So I didn't say it, the LORD did. I guess a case could be made, in one sense, that via the person and family of Noah, the LORD "returned to the drawing board", but it had nothing to do with God not forseeing the outcome, but rather man not forseeing the outcome of evil. Nor does it in any way "connotate" that "the Lord made a mistake" as you suggested I am saying, which again, I did not.

BTW, the word translated "repent", in the OT, the Hebrew 'nacham' is usually rendered by the NKJV as "relent", which I happen to prefer over the KJV "repent", when referring to God, and that word has to do both with a change of mind and a sense of sorrow. No, as you mentioned, and as Num. 23:19 tells us, God doesn't change His mind, from His perspective, but he does from ours, as His ways are not our ways. However Scripture also tells us that God is and can be grieved, another usage of repent, and the one I see in view, here in Gen. 6:6.
    Amen. Let us make sure that His word is what we are saying, for He says, in His Word
    I dunno'! Sounds pretty stiff to me! Also sounds full of grace, as well.

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree! And welcome to the BB. :wavey: Hope you hagve your flak-jacket and hardhat handy!:BangHead: :laugh: :laugh:
    Ed

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The correct pont is that Eve listened to the Serpent. And we do not actually know, since it is not stated, whether or not the Serpent even conversed with Adam, at all. But God had told Adam that "In the day you eat of this tree of the knowledge of good and evil, dying, you will die." And that is exactly what happened- they died on the spot, spiritually. and began the longer process of dying physically.

Ed

P.S. Since I hadn't already said this, Welcome to the BB, as well. G'nite, all.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is why cult mentality is so damaging to logic and reason, the integrity of the Bible, the person of God and the Gospel.

Stanley lives by "self pronouncement" not the Word of God. He divides the Bible up - doing a cut-and-paste hatchet job on the Word as it pleases each of his "pronouncements".

That then leads him to do a hatchet job on the God of the Bible - dividing it into different gods.

I have to admit - we can see pretty mach whacko-eisegesis on stanley's part. It is a witness to all who would abandon the Word of God and opt for "self authority" over the Word.

But still "Fun to read".

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very true. I in fact Paul explicitly argues that "EVE was FIRST deceived" it does not argue "Adam was FIRST deceived into listening to Eve and then Eve was deceived".

But there are soooo many "bible facts" that contradict Stanley's "stanleyism" that it is hard to know where to start.

In Christ,

Bob

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the main reason I don't reply to his threads. And the impression I get by reading his posts is that he's not open to any correction.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not sure of your exact point here but Jesus said that the devil was a murderer from the beginning, a liar, the father of lies and there is no truth in him. (John 8:44) No matter how you word it, he lied to Eve because he deceived her.

13. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

I am including a link to Strong's Concordance to research the definition of repent (05162) in respect to the context of Gen6:6 vs. Num23:19.

In each verse the same definition of repent (i.e. to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted) is being asserted by the author or authority who has preserved the scriptures for reproof, correction or instruction.

In a logical argument each verse is a diametric opposition of either/or.

Either A is true or B is false.

Either B is true or A is false.

Sorry or regret is a term that man asserts for committing a wrong. Man likewise may either apologize or repent for the wrong that has been done.

God (i.e. the one whom I serve) is incapable of doing wrong. Thus, He never has any need to feel sorrow or regret. Further, it is sacrilege for anyone to even presume that God is ever in a position to apologize or repent.

Apologetics or repentance is a quality exclusively relegated to man.

The serpent has deceived Christian followers the same way he deceived Eve in the garden. He has portrayed himself as God. Yet, his words convict him of being a great deceiver. He slipped up when he said that the Lord repented.

The so called well educated theologians or biblical scholars have taken the bait hook line and sinker. The serpent is using God's own servants to poison the mind of all Christian followers that the God of Abraham, Moses and Jacob is the same Father of Jesus of Nazareth.

Mark my word that one day these so-called men of God will be brought unto repentance as sure as the day is long. Yet, God will not allow them to apologize for their wrong. It is their ministeral duty to know the truth and teach the truth.

I have done all that is in my power to bring these unfaithful men of God into reproof and correction of the truth. The only thing that I have received in return is to be mocked and scorned by so-called followers of Christ.

All I can say in return is thank you for hating me. The more you hate me the greater my King Jesus will honor me in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Amen!

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do agree with much of what you have written, here, even though I would almost entirely disagree with you on the Mosaic law ["Can you say seventh?" as Fred Rogers, of red sweater and "Won't you be my neighbor?" fame (and who incidentally was also an ordained Presbyterian minister), might have asked.] but that is another thread. As to the "cut-and-paste hatchet job on the Word" I would hazard a guess that stanleyg, no doubt uses a STANLEY® hatchet for this!?!? :rolleyes: :tongue3: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, if someone disagrees with you, they hate you?

hmmm...

16. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

No! I am talking about how these so-called godly men, who use the venom in their tongue to inflame hatred towards me.

Amen!