1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does The Lord Create Evil?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Aug 14, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture says he does or does it?... Some say they take the Bible literally, well how do you balance this scripture with a God of love?... Would a God of love create evil?... Comments... Brother Glen:)

Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

45:8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.

2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "evil" is an archaic translation (not bad, just archaic). The word was once much more commonly used to refer to anything harmful or bad ... without necessarily having a spiritual connotation. For example one might speak of the evil fortune of loosing a crop to frost. They were not saying that Satan had killed their crop, they were just saying that they had some "bad" fortune.

Here is the full modern definition from Merriam-Webster:

EVIL:
    1 a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked

• an evil impulse

b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct

• a person of evil reputation

2 a archaic : inferior

b : causing discomfort or repulsion : offensive

• an evil odor

c : disagreeable

• woke late and in an evil temper

3 a : causing harm : pernicious

• the evil institution of slavery

b : marked by misfortune : unlucky

Looking at the specific verses, not the literary use of opposite pairs for emphasis and completeness:

1. light and darkness
    2. peace and evil
    3. skies pour down (rain) and earth bring forth (spring)
    These pairs of opposites emphasize the point that God is everything ... Alpha and Omega, First and Last, Beginning and End.
    Within this context of pairs of opposites, the more common modern definition of evil as "morally reprehensible" is not really the opposite of "peace" is it. What about the definition of evil described as "marked by misfortune"? Is "marked by misfortune" the opposite of "peace"?

The meaning then is that God is the one who sends both "peace" and "misfortune" into your life. Ask Joseph and Job and Jonah and David and Paul if that is or is not true. ;)

[Romans 8:28 NASB] 28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to [His] purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this context, the word "evil" does not mean "causes the evil behavior of men or angels", but rather "causes bad things to happen to those who deserve it."

Isaiah was preaching during a time of great rebellion against God by national Israel, and God was promising to punish them for it. And He kept His word.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God creating "evil" is just a very poor translation of the word, ra' רָע
    which means adversity. Even the later updated King James Version corrects this and have it as calamity.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things. [King James 2000]

God does at times has to bring judgement but that shouldn't be defined as an evil thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Evil," especially in the Old Testament, often means "calamity" or "hardship."

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gordon Clark (Presbyterian) solved for many the problem of Evil. This is a bare bones summary worth looking into if interested.

Clark first asks; "How can the existence of God be harmonized with the existence of evil?"

If God is all-good, He would want to destroy evil.

If God is all-powerful, He is able to destroy evil. But evil still exists.

It seems that God cannot be both all-good and all-powerful. However, Christianity teaches that He is both. This is the problem of evil.

Clark stated that, "God's causing a man to sin is not sin. There is no law, superior to God, which forbids him to decree sinful acts. Sin presupposes a law, for sin is lawlessness." Clark explained that "God is above law" because "the laws that God imposes on men do not apply to the divine nature."

#6 1689Dave, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But James 1:13 would rule out this "solution."

The Archangel

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prophecy in isaiah I believe is directed toward Zoroastrianism. God was refuting that religion years before Cyrus or Zoroastrianism even existed.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we also pray "lead us not into temptation" (by Satan of course).

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could say it in the sense that God vauses the storms of life that hit us, that He is still soveriegn over all things, either directly or thru third party, for did he not send the evil spirit upon King Saul?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God permitted the falls of both satan and Adam to happen, and both were somehow part of his divine plan and purposes, in that He made good what was inteeded to be just evil...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever... Brother Glen:)

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God ordained what would immediantly happen to us afetr Adam chose to sin against the Lord.

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would we know God's mercy, goodness, love, righteousness, justice and more, apart from sin, and Christ's absorbing the penalty for our sins in himself?

Also, because of Adam's sin we have God's own righteousness which fully merits eternal life, imputed to us. If Adam had not sinned, we would have only his finite righteousness.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a what if arguement, as we do know that if Adam had not sinned, he would have lived forever!

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm just saying, had Adam not sinned we would not have God's righteousness, which merits eternal life, imputed to us. We would have only Adam's human righteousness. Based on Romans 5ff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would also still be God's "very good" creation rather than our present status of "adopted sons" and the Bride of Christ!

What Satan meant for evil, God meant for our good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which would be the same as Jesus had, for Adam would have also keep the law perfectly, correct? He would have had his own intrisic rightiousness!

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is in Jesus being God = God's infinite righteousness imputed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam was under COW, so his right standing was assured until the fall!