1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does The New Testament Authorize

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by STAROFDAVID45, Jun 20, 2006.

1. STAROFDAVID45

STAROFDAVID45 New Member

Does the New Testament of Yeshua King Jesus authorize praise dancing in the worship of the church? If, yes prove by the bible, if not why not? There is a Trinity Church of God here in Akron, Ohio whose pastor espouses that the Holy Ghost spoke to him in an attic of which he was working at the church building and he was told then to start praise dancing in the worship, a form of entertainment. Folks is this authorized? I say no. Does the Holy Spirit speak directly to a person outside of the bible?

STAROFDAVID45:type:

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Why does it only have to authorized by only the new testament. Does not the Bible tell us that ALL scripture is useful for instrution and reproof?

What does the Church of God and it's practices have to do with Baptist practice?

3. STAROFDAVID45

STAROFDAVID45 New Member

Hebrews 8:8-12

We are no longer under the old testament. Jer 31:31-34 proph and it came to pass Heb 8:8-12. DOES GOD ALMIGHTY APPROVE OF ALL THESE DENOMINATIONS. THE BAPTIST TEACH TRUTH, DOES THE CHURCH OF CHRIST TEACH SAME? I THINK NOT.:type:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where in the NT does it say we are not under the OT, or we should totally disregard It? You are thinking of being bound by the Levitical and the ceremonial laws.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Without getting into the scriptural justification for praise dancing, there are a couple of things which bother me.

First, I'm a little skeptical when somebody claims that God spoke to them and told them to do something.

Second, I'm more than skeptical when someone claims God told him to entertain the worshippers.

6. STAROFDAVID45

STAROFDAVID45 New Member

Study

WEBDOG WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT? HOW ABOUT READING THE SCRIPTURES I GAVE AND THEN READ ALL THRU HEBREWS CHAPTER 9 VERSE 28, AND THEN ASK YOURSELF THAT QUESTION AGAIN. DO WE OFFER BURNT SACRIFICES TODAY? ITS UNDER THE OLD TESTAMENT THE OLD COVENANT. HOW WAS A PERSON SAVED UNDER THE OLD TESTAMENT? WAS IT AS THE SAME AS THE NEW TESTAMENT THAT CHRIST SHED HIS BLOOD FOR? THINK BEFORE YOU REACT AND ANSWER WEB DOG.:sleeping_2:

7. menageriekeeper

Star of David, please don't post in all caps. It is very hard to read and all caps is used to denote shouting. I don't think you want us to suppose you are shouting do you?

Just because we are not bound by Jewish ceremonial law doesn't mean we can't use the Old Testament when deciding whether or not something is wise to do. In the New Testament we are told that we are free to do all things but all things aren't expedient to the cause of Christ. That is, all our sins are forgiven, all of them, but to continue sinning even though God doesn't/won't hold it against us isn't a smart thing to do because it might keep someone else from believing in the blood of Christ.

I'm still exploring the dancing question and will post more on that later.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quit SHOUTING AT ME!! :smilewinkgrin:

It's a simple question. I asked you a question, would you like me to ask it again? Where in the NT does it say we are not under the OT, or we should totally disregard It?
    I asked you the question, not myself. What does Hebrews 9:28 have to do with it?
    I don't offer burnt sacrifices, do you? Isn't that what I said in my post, we are NOT under ceremonial law? The Ten Commandments are to be ignored too, correct? Moral Law does not change from the OT to the NT.
    They were saved the same way as today, gy grace through faith. Are you insinuating salvation was different in the OT? "There is no other name under Heaven by which men are saved"!
    I do, thank you. (you going to be now?!? I see you live in Canton, I live east of Cleveland)

9. menageriekeeper

Okay, I'm back.

There is no mention of dancing in connection with worship in the New Testament. None. The New Testament gives no opinion whatsoever on this matter. This one we get to decide for ourselves. Can we do it? :D

Now, back to the matter of not being "under" the OT since the New Testament was given:

2ti 3:16Every scripture inspired of God [is] also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.2ti 3:17That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

While we may no longer be bound to the ceremonial laws of Jewish tradition, we certainly may use the wisdom of the OT in determining what will best glorify the Lord.

We know that Miriam danced, David danced and I daresay there were others. If God didn't condemn either of them, do you really think He is going to condemn us if we decide to dance in praise? Just because something is out of our comfort zone, doesn't make it a sin.

Then again, I'm with Tom in that I would take the phrase "God told me so" with a grain of salt. I also don't believe "entertainment" is a necessary part worship.

Okay now you have my full two cents worth!

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No mention of potlucks in the NT either. Doh! They did have sharing of meals. I know, there was no mention of sound systems in the NT. Also no mention of washrooms, pews, pulpits, organs, pianos, harpsichords, sunday school. Lots of stuff that the NT does not mention that we do or have.

#10 Gold Dragon, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And keep this in mind, when Paul wrote these words, there was no new testament. Mark had yet to write his recolection of the gospel and these are words from a letter to his son in the ministry, Timothy. This letter was not written with the intentions of being cannonized.

So what scriptures could he be referring to?

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

He is referring to "all Scripture," which is strangely enough why he says "all Scripture." Peter called the writings of Paul Scripture. Paul called the writings of Luke Scripture. Obviously, the NT is as much Scripture as the old.

As for dancing, it really serves no purpose in a public worship service. And therefore, needs not to be done.

13. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I always hate it when people bring modern day conviences into a argument regarding the OT and the NT. These things have nothing to do with the discussion and become nothing more than distractors.

Now, nowhere in the NT does it say we are to ignore or abolish the law. In fact Paul's teaching of being "under the law" were to churches that were being influenced by the Judaizers (those that believed salvation include both belief in Jesus and practice of Levitical law) or to those churches that justified their continuing in sin to have more grace. So I contend that we are still to uphold the law (if not the practice), we are not to do this as a step to salvation but because of our salvation we should want to do this as a bare minimum. Christ came to fulfill the Law not abolish the law...he was the last 'Lamb' to be slain so we are already covered under His blood. So I say to many who try to separate us NT Christians from the OT practices...we do ourselves a disservice and isolate a portion of the Bible (and God's blessings) from our lives.

I would say that historically dancing (especially of a public nature) has a much different connotation and most of it does not involve church. Ask the average person on the street what dancing means to them and you'll find that most don't associate it with church...definitely not to a worship service. Plus that pastor should be getting treatment for whatever he inhaled in that attic :smilewinkgrin:

#13 MRCoon, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can you point me to these references of Paul in Peters writings and Luke in Pauls writings? I'm not saying when Paul said Luke is with me, I'm saying when Paul refered to Luke's writings as scripture?

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I brought those things up because many use the faulty argument that only things recorded in the NT that the early church did are permissable.

Good thing I don't go to you or the average person on the street as my authority. I go to the bible which speaks positively of dancing as worship to God in the OT, and not at all of dancing in the NT. Some Christians grew up in a culture where dancing was considered immoral, and they have found ways of letting their cultural biases distort what they believe the bible says about dancing.

#15 Gold Dragon, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

2 Peter 3:15-16 and 1 Tim 5:18.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It says the Law was a schoolmaster to bring us to the time of faith (Gal 3). It says we are not under the Law, but that Christ was the end of hte Law (Rom 10:4). If says you keep one part of it, you must keep all of it (Gal 5; James 2:10).

This distinction between moral, ceremonial, and civil is nowhere found in Scripture. The Law existed as a whole, not as three parts. The Bible is clear that you cannot just insist on one part of it. If you keep one part, you must keep it all. If you sin in one part, you have sinned against it all.

Christ shows us the NT path of freedom from "the Law," since we are no longer Israel. Remember, the Law was to Israel was the US Constitution is to those living in the US. It is the law of hte land. It does not apply outside the land in which it is the law.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Paul and the Apostles were aware and wrote about the authority of their positions. Further, God most certainly inspired the writing of this text with the intention that it would be "canonized".

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

An argument based on a negative holds no water. The Ten commandments would be obsolete if there were no distinction.

#19 webdog, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  20. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Yes, He does. All scripture is written for our instruction. Read the Psalms and you will find dancing to be included in the praise and worship of God. It doesn't matter if some stuffed shirt claims it has no place, because God's instruction includes dance as a form of worship to Himself.