1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the New Testament teach us that we can use instrumental music in worship

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by God's Word is TRUTH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was just reminded of this in another thread, on the subject of instruments in Church, let's use the heavenly Choir as our example...

[8] And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
    [9] And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

2. Brother Jeremy Slone

Ok one more Acts 7:41 And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands.
    I believe like Cain the tiller of the ground, and any thing man does to worship God with his hands is no good. As Isaiah Fortold in 17:7-8 At that day (our time) shall a man look to his Maker, and his eyes shall have respect to the Holy One of Israel. And he shall not look to the altars, the work of his hands, neither shall respect that which his fingers have made, either the groves, or the images.

Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. :8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. :9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

So this is what I am saying we can not worship God in the Flesh only in the Spirit that is in us. Romans 2:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: This is the one in I John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethern. Its the inward man that passed from death unto life so its after the inward man we worship God. The outward man has not passed from death unto life yet. He still going to the grave 2 Corinthians 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but through our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. So I believe we deny ourselves (outward man) and through the Spirit worship God in Truth, (Inward man) So this is why I do not use dead Instruments in worship. But sing making melody in my heart. Not to convince you any more of my position but ask if you can see my conviction in what I am saying maybe respect my belief a little more any how. I know many Don't get me on this view but it an old view in the Church. History can teach you that. ...............In peace bro. Jeremy

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

This isn't the issue of the thread.

The CoC isn't being criticized for using musical instruments and implying that they are ungodly for not using them. It's the other way around. Those churches that do use musical instruments are being criticized as only caring what man thinks, not what God thinks.

If using musical instruments should be thought of as a conviction, then this debate is over because conviction does not equal command.

How is the voice any less physical, fleshly, or carnal than the hands? They are both physical body parts, but you're saying that the voice is somehow less carnal than the hands.

Is there any other way to worship God besides singing, or is that it? I will never understand this idea you guys seem to have that singing is the only way to worship God.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Psalm 47:1--Clap your hands, all you nations;
    shout to God with cries of joy.

2 Timothy 1:6--For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

Ephesians 4:28--He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.

Romans 12:1--Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship

Jeremy,

You did not negate Romans 12:1 with your statement. It is possible to worship with your hands. Ask any deaf person! Also listed are other scriptures that indicate God is pleased with the works of our hands that are fully dedicated to Him...and that is an act of worship.

You mention "dead" instruments...I understand why you put that spin on it...it gives credence to your position. But, today, in worship, I'll be playing keyboards in one of our services. They are made of metal, plastic, microchips, circuits, and the like. Is that what you mean by "dead?" We use inantimate objects to assist us with worship all the time:

-The Bible (insofar as the binding, paper, and physical components of it).
    -Offering plates

Of course, you mean "dead" because you're trying to insinuate that God cannot bless it...am I right?

Still no scriptural proof from you guys--only scriptural silence--and we're on page 15?

5. MorganT

MorganT New Member

I would have to say you hit the nail on the head with your comment. The phrase I hightlighted at the top is YOUR answer I BELIEVE this is why there are so many denominations today. We can take the same book and read it and if you have 10 people in a room all 10 will come to a different conclusion on something in the book. Then we take what we believe it says and start preaching it as gospel and no one is right except what we believe. The bible in my opioun is a love story and was written as such it was never intended to be disected.

6. Brother Jeremy Slone

Ok I believe we worship through the spirit and this may cause us to clap our hands and rejoice. But its all in the Spirit. Its not of my hands that please God but of the Spirit, this may cause tears of joy, Praises to his name or to raise holy hands. But if music is ok and so is every other carnal things we do in nature. Play basketball for Jesus or Ride our Motorcycles or Bench Press for the Lord. These things is what I am ruling out. These are the works of our hands that are not fruit of the Spirit. I am not saying all these things are bad in their selves but I do not believe we can worship God with them the same with Music. I am not trying to change the thread just show my position in a passive way. You all win the debate but I still hold my position. I responded because I want to encourage "God's Word is Truth" I believe his name is Dustin. The world loves Music I can't change the World but maybe some that come out of the world.
    ..........If the Lord moves we should move but if the Lord doesn't move then we should hold firm............

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

and let me add something if I may...

...I don't wish to discourage Dustin or anyone else. If you believe that acappella is the way to go, then go for it! No worries here...I just didn't want it prescribed for all Christians.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer to all of these is no. However, the reason for answering no to these is different than the reason you argue for not having musical instruments.

1. We do not add cake and ice cream to the Lords' Supper because the bread specifically shows the broken body and the wine specifically shows the shed blood. These are symbols of the real thing. Cake and ice cream have nothing to do with this and is a poor comparison.

2. We can not baptize by pooring or sprinkling because emersion symbolizes the burial and one is not partially buried. This falls short once again of your argument that instruments are wrong because they are not mentioned. The reason for not doing this is not the same as the reason you have been arguing.

3. We do not baptize infants because they have not made a choice and are not themselves confessing their identity with Christ. Again the reason for this is not the same reason you argue against musical instruments.

4. We do not offer incense to God because it is no longer necessary as the curtian is gone and we now have direct access to our Lord. The reason for this does not match your argument for no instruments.

5.We do not offer sacrifices because the very thing they shadowed has come to pass making them no longer necessary. This fails to resemble your argument for no instruments.

Good luck with your position though.

9. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

Here is one New Testament example of stringed instruments being used in the church. I know some people do not believe in using the original Greek and Hebrew languages, but it is quite obvious that they make things a little more clear than what the KJV says. Colossians 3:16 says " Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs are three different entities. Psalms were religious songs that were sung using string instruments both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament. Paul tells the Colossians to sing of the grace in their hearts to the Lord. Therefore, there is nothing unscriptural about using stringed instruments in the church.

10. God's Word is TRUTH

God's Word is TRUTH New Member

can we have the idea, if it is in heaven then it is good in the church and on earth? well if so then there would be no marriage hence that is what christ said, and it also says that marriage is good and honorable on earth though. and revelations is a book of symbols, and if you look at the rest of the verse, the golden vials weren't literal, but symbolic of the prayers of the saints.

on this post i will use the argument that you all so love to use "the bible doesn't say that I can't", "where does the bible forbid it"

I hope that we can all study the scriptures, so that we can know the will of God.

In Christian Love,

Dustin

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We ARE using Scriptures - YOU are deciding that some of those Scriptures are now outdated and no longer useable to us. We know by reading the Bible worship was done with music and there is no where where that is no longer the case. We know that the OT had sacrifices and in the NT, Christ was our final sacrifice for our sins so there is no need for sacrifices any longer. We are not saying that the Bible doesn't say that I can't so I'm going to - we are saying that the Bible says TO worship with songs and instruments and we are following that. If Jesus had said in the NT that we are to no longer use instruments, then you would have a valid argument but that is not the case, is it?

Ann

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, some of Revelations is written in code so that John could get it delivered from the isle of Patmos. If the vials were intended to be a code, it would have been a very poor code because the explination is in the exact same sentence. Do you see another explination of the harps in the sentence? Then I conclude he must have meant harps.

Marriage is not in heaven because there is no flesh in heaven. There is also no male or female. There is, on the other hand, worship in heaven. So I believe we can use worship in heaven as a templete to how it should be done on earth.

13. God's Word is TRUTH

well, does it explain what the beasts are, because according to your logic, if it doesn't explain what it is then it has to be literal. okay, so now were saying that there is no flesh in heaven, hence heaven is not a physical place, but a spiritual one, right. in that case then the harps wouldn't be actual harps according to that logic. and heaven is not a physical place, but a spiritual one. so the harps aren't literal.

In Christian Love,

Dustin

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

No, no no.

Revelation 21:1 -- Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.

Heaven is also a physical place. We will have new bodies.

15. God's Word is TRUTH

No, on the contrary, we actually need to use the old testament because if gives us a lot of very good lessons, and a lot of history. but keep in mind that we are not under the old covanent, but a better new one that is based on better promises. so if we are under a new better one, why should we desire to go to the old one and pick out things that we like and add them to our new testament Christian worship. because, why not burn insence, because thats not condemned in the new testament either.

here is a sermon outline from the sermon that the preacher at the congregation of the Lord's church that I attend preached sunday morning.

okay understand this please, I do not think that we should tear out the old testament and burn it or something, it is part of God's word and we can learn a lot from it, but we are not under the old law, but the new law established by Christ. there will be references to the old testament in this sermon outline, so, they are about how God deals with people to do not obey him. we can all agree that God cares how we worship him. and we will see examples of how God dealt with people in the old testament who added things to worship. and God does not change, but his covanent did.

God's Music of Choice

God has sometimes stated His Preference
    A. examples of God's choice being stated:

1. cain and abel
    a.(Genisis 4:3-7)- God repsected abel's offering, but not cains. God stated
    that it was an issue of sin.
    b.(Hebrews 11:4)- abel made his offering by faith.

2. (Leviticus 10:1-2)- aaron's sons used fire that God had not commanded.
    they died because of this.

3. (2 kings 5:9-14) - Naaman became furious when told to dip 7 times in the
    Jordan River. But he was cleansed after his 7th dip. what we learn from this is
    that what God's will is might not be what we want it to be.

B. (Micah 6:6-8)- With what shall we come before the Lord? He has shown us what is Good. Are we listening?

Has God stated His preference regarding Music in Worship?

A.(Hebrews 8:6-8)- One thing to keep in mind is that there has been a change in covanent. What was commanded of the Jews may not be commanded of us.

B.Specifics from God regarding music in Christian worship:

1. (John 4:23-24)- Jesus taught that our worship must be in spirit and in Truth
    (according to God's word)

2. (Ephesians 5:19)- from this passage we learn:
    a. our music in worship is to be singing
    b. this music is to come from our hearts
    c. it involves speaking to one another.
    d. it also involves making melody in our hearts.
    e. Psalm 33:2-3- the Jews were told to make melody with an instrument.
    Paul's instructions are very different.

3. (Colossians 3:16)- We are told to sing. No other type of music is mentioned.

4. (1 Cor. 14:7, 15)- Instruments are things without life. Paul declared that he
    would sing.

5. (James 5:13)- when cheerful, Christians are to sing.

C. In singing a cappella, we use the instrument God made.

Central Church of Christ, Johnson City, TN, August 6, 2006, a.m.​

In Christian Love,

Dustin

16. God's Word is TRUTH

well that is what a lot of you are saying, because people keep asking me, where does the bible forbid it. the Jews were commanded to sing songs with instruments, show me a scripture where Christians are commanded to use instrumental music.

In Christian Love,

Dustin

17. God's Word is TRUTH

where does it say that it is a physical place, and where does it say that we will have new bodies? i know that it describes it as a physical place, but He did that because if you have never seen a spiritual place then how will he explain it to you? by what you know, physical things

i know that it says that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven
    (1 cor. 15:50)

In Christian Love,

dustin

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If we were living at that time and understood the true language John wrote revelations and were knowledgable in scripture then no, the word beast would not have been code. It is code to us today but was understood by the early Church. But since neither of us lived then, I guess it is code to us. I can speculate but the word beast is not defined.

[10] I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

I'll let you decide, did John physically go to heaven?

19. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Please refer to the sermon outline in Post #275 . . . . .

Are we being told that if we use instruments, and because we are not following a direct command from God, that we as Cain, will not have God's respect. Or like Nadab and Abihu, we could suffer the ultimate punishment of death?

20. God's Word is TRUTH

keep in mind that these are examples of people in the old testament, but yes. do you think that God wants us to do things that he doesn't want us to, and not abide in the doctrine of Christ.

In Christian Love,

Dustin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.