1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the New Testament teach us that we can use instrumental music in worship

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by God's Word is TRUTH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Jeremy Slone

It was said that God commanded the Jews to use music in worship. I'm not so sure about that but they did do it, especially David and Solomon. Them two did alot of things the Lord did not like but they were never told not to but they did have the first example of Adam and Eve maybe they wanted to believe what they wanted. Like Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. But like Amos was going through the "WOE TO" list in verse 5 he said That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of music, like David. This invent must of been in the worship. Because starting at Genesis 4:16 it shows Cain generation and in 4:21 its tells of Jabal and he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ. ?????????? but I am still studying on it ...Bro Jeremy

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Amos, the problem was that they were worshipping like that, and then coming to God "with unclean hands" (other things they were doing wrong), not the music itself.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, I had to find a magnifying glass to read your post. It sure isn't old eyes friendly.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a good article about all of this:

http://www.starwire.com/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID43667|CHID540294|CIID443625,00.html

Ann

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was hoping some Greek scholar would address this post. Isn't this a mistake of reading the etymology (origin & history) into the word psalmos, and then making this an inherent part of the meaning of the word? Or put another way, does the use of an instrument inhere in the word "psalmos"? I don't think so. For example, when James uses the kindred "psallo" in "Is any merry? let him sing psalms" surely he doesn't mean that we MUST pluck an instrument any time we're singing while we're merry, does he? But if that is part of the meaning of the word, then I suppose that the uninstrumental ones would have to keep silent, wouldn't they?

Seems that I remember D. A. Carson having an entire chapter on this type of fallacy in his book Exegetical Fallacies. I don't have it at hand where I can look now, but will try to remember to check later.

#285 rlvaughn, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Amos was condemning their luxury. If it were written today, it would probably be in the same vein as hoarding CD's and having them play constantly in the background.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm still trying to figure out how playing background music equates to oppressing the poor...

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having musicians back then (when there were no CD's) I guess was a sign of wealth, especially when the allusion was made to David, the King, who obviously had a lavish setup. When I made my response, I had forgotten just what their exact sin was at the moment; but yes, God was angry at them for a having lavish production and coming to worship Him like that while oppressing the poor, not for the instruments in themselves.

9. Brother Jeremy Slone

Amos Ch6 Woe To ..... verse 5 that chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves (them other than David but like David) instruments of music, like David:

the word invent is 2803 in New Strongs Concord. Hebrew, To me this sounds as if David is the author and not God.

I Chronicles 23:5 Moreover four thousand were porters; and four thousand praised the Lord with the instruments which I made, said David to praise there with.

2 Chronicles 7:6 And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of music of the Lord, which David the King had made to praise the Lord, .........

Even the last Psalm 150 David said to use all the instruments but at last he said Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord.

Instruments are not alive , I like how Paul put it in 13:1 ....and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    even Solomon said in Ecclesiates 2:8-11 it was vanity.
    All the things God commanded old Israel to do in the service where did he tell them to use music. I think God may had over looked it, being long suffering. but hey I am an Old Regular Baptist we never used Music. neither did any of the Baptist at first in this nation or over seas. ............Brother Jeremy

#289 Brother Jeremy Slone, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word is Truth,

I have not read thru all the posts on this thread yet.
    My little comments( worth 2cents) are following.
    I believe that David and other kings in OT used the instruments, and Moses used at least shofar ( trumpet).
    I don't think Pssalmon in 1 Corinthians 14:26 mean the psalm readings without instruments since the psalms were sung with the instruments.
    Therefore the instruments were not forbidden in NT.

However, often I have noticed the believers who raise this issue have very strong faith in the Lord and try hard to obey God in the best way, and I would not condemn them as legalists at all.
    Among Plymouth Brethren, so-called Gospel Halls do not use the musical instruments at all, while Gospel chapels use them.
    Gospel Halls differ from Gospel Chapels in some other manner of service as they often run the service without pre-planned schedule or pre-designated preachers or praying persons, but just follow the guidance by the Lord.
    I notice Gospel Halls are quite strong in their faith,while Gospel Chapels which use the instruements are rather lukewarm. I don't think I am prejudiced to the Halls as I attend Gospel Chapels.

The spiritual distinction is that musical instruments may exalt or instigate the human emotions rather than enhancing the spiritual discernment and belief, and sometimes we may misunderstand that we have a lot spiritually while the actual faith is not that much.

But as long as we use the tools carefully and wisely without exalting the emotions, it may not be a problem.

This subject may need some further consideration, instead of hasty judgment.

Finally I thank Dustin for raising this issue and for his courage in the faith.

#290 Eliyahu, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Sorry, didn't mean to make it small, honest!
    You're not old!! You're just a couple years ahead of me!:smilewinkgrin: (it was too small for me, too. Don't know for sure how I did that.):wavey:

Did you have a response after you read it?
    Here it is again . . .
    Please refer to the sermon outline in Post #275 . . . . .

Are we being told that if we use instruments, and because we are not following a direct command from God, that we as Cain, will not have God's respect. Or like Nadab and Abihu, we could suffer the ultimate punishment of death?

#291 Gayla, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  12. rbell

rbell Active Member

sung to the tune, "This is the Song that Never Ends"...acappella, of course: :tongue3:

This is the thread that never dies...:laugh:

13. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

The New Testament does not forbid the use of musical instruments in worship. The argument made from absence here is one of the best examples of twisting scripture completely out of context that has ever been made.

Has God changed his mind about worship since Psalm 150 was written?

Praise God in his sanctuary;
    Praise him in his mighty heavens.

Praise him for his acts of power;
    Praise him for his surpassing greatness.

Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet.
    Praise him with the harp and the lyre.

Praise him with tambourine and with dancing,
    Praise him with the strings and flute,
    Praise him with the clash of symbols.
    Praise him with resounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
    Praise the Lord. Psalm 150, NIV

Keep in mind that Jesus, who worshipped in both the synagogue and the temple all of his life, would have considered this passage of Psalms as authoritative scripture in his day. Where does he, in the New Testament, tell us that things are different now, regarding worship? The old and new covenant weren't about worship, they were about salvation.

BTW, Baptists need to note the scripture about praising God with dancing!

#293 Jack Matthews, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why?
    1. Where is there dancing in the New Testament?
    2. Is it connected with the local church?
    3. Can you even prove that there was instrumental music in the New Testament churches, let alone dancing, as this thread is about?
    4. Can you demonstrate that there was any dancing in the Old Testament outside of war in the Old Testament? The dancing in the OT was primarily done in conjunction with military victories. There is no connection whatsoever with worship services.
    DHK

15. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Samuel 6:14 shows David dancing with all his might when bringing up the Ark of the Covenant. He sacrificed an ox and then danced.

Psalm 87:7 says "Singers and dancers alike say, "All my springs are in you."

Psalm 150:4 says "Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe!"

17. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I didn't have time to read through all 500 posts so I don't know if anyone has mentioned these points or not so please excuse me if this is repetitive.

Dustin - please take a look at Psalm 87 - its a prophetic psalm looking forward to the church and it mentions musical instruments - see below, as quoted from the KJV.

[[A Psalm [or] Song for the sons of Korah.]] His foundation [is] in the holy mountains. The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob. Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.
    I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this [man] was born there.
    And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her. The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, [that] this [man] was born there. Selah. As well the singers as the players on instruments [shall be there]: all my springs [are] in thee.

Also, the passages from Colossians and Ephesians normally used to make your points have nothing to do with corporate worship. Please check your context, they are lifestyle passages.

By the way, I learned all this from a dear friend and brother who preaches for a church of Christ.

Les

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

David was bringing back the ark. The ark had been lost in war. Thus they danced and praised God for the recovery of the ark--lost in war.
    Read the context.
    Psalms 87:4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.
    --These are all metions of military battles, battles when Rahab was spared at Jericho, battles against the Philistines, etc.
    Traditionally the women came out and danced after a victory.
    Psalm 150 is a well known military psalm, in which praise is given to Jehovah.

The only other places that you find dance is in reference to idolatry and to paganism such as you find the Israelites doing when they dance naked around a golden calf as recorded in the Book of Exodus.
    DHK

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, since we daily battle against Satan, I think dancing in praise of God is great!

We have a tambourine/dance worship team at church - it's young girls from ages 12-17 - and it's absolutely beautiful to watch them worship and every movement has meaning and scripture behind it! They are dressed extremely modestly (so much so that it's almost difficult to do full movements with their arms - and the outfits are quite hot), and they don't even face the congregation - but the cross. THAT is a wonderful dance to the Lord.

20. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read a great deal of this thread, probably all of the first 18 pages or so, and bits and pieces of the rest of it. If what I am about to say has already been said, I apologize. Also, I am new to this forum, so I have little or no knowledge of anyone who has posted on this thread.

I have to say that a dead horse has been beaten for a long time. It appears that the "no instruments" people have drawn the issues of Scripture (i. e., NT only) and worship (i. e., worship service only) so narrowly that they are able to dismiss all opposing arguments as falling outside the parameters they have drawn.

My church uses instruments (organ and piano) every Sunday with the occasional aid of instrumental ensembles (brass, strings, recorders). However, I have extensive experience in choral and group (Sacred Harp) singing without instruments.

Therefore, I want to ask you to consider three passages of scripture which, on the surface, have nothing to do with music. First, in Mark 2.23-28, Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for allowing his disciples to pluck ears of corn on the Sabbath. Jesus responds: The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. Second, in Luke 6.6-11, we find the story of Jesus healing a man's stunted or withered arm in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Jesus uses the situation to pose a question to the Pharisees: Is it allowed on the Sabbath to do good to people or do harm, to save a life or do away with it? Third, in Luke 9.38-40, Jesus tells disciples not to stop a man who was driving out demons in Jesus' name. Jesus tells him: He who is not against us is on our side.

In all of these instances, Jesus addresses the intention of the Sabbath and of the man driving out demons. I believe that his point is that we should not let our religion get in the way of our faith or of our intention to do good. I believe that worship has more to do with the intention in our hearts as we come together as congregations to worship. Music, with or without instruments, can aid that intention or not.

A good bit of the opposition to the use of instruments in worship and the implied judging of those who do reminds me of Jesus's words about the Pharisees in Matthew 23.4: They make up heavy loads and pile them on the shoulders of others, but will not themselves lift a finger to ease the burden. Why is it so important to castigate other Christians because they worship in different ways? Wouldn't a better use of our time be to explore the ways in which we can work together to further the coming of the kingdom of God?

Tim Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.