1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the NKJV Follow the TR Texts?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 25, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    It's a Hebrew word transliterated into English.

The English singular word is cherub, they should nave used cherubs if they wanted it to be correct english and cherubim not cherubims if they wanted it to be correct Hebrew.

One entry found for cherub at Merriam-Webster Online, found in the public domain at :
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=cherubim

Main Entry: cher·ub
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural usually cher·u·bim
    Etymology: Latin, from Greek cheroub, from Hebrew kerubh
    1 plural : an order of angels -- see CELESTIAL HIERARCHY
    2 plural usually cherubs a : a usually winged child in painting and sculpture b : an innocent-looking usually chubby and rosy person
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you honestly think the 47 scholarly translators would have translated cherubims with the "s" if it was incorrect? Please Hank. This was obviously a printing error that was corrected. You think you are as smart and knowledgable as the KJB translators? Give me a break.

Cherubim can be used as singular and plural in our language as you so wonderfully proved above.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

2. David J

David J New Member

So far the only people that have provided any proof are non-KJVOist.

I would like to see the evidence in the TR that proves the NKJV is not a real TR bible etc...No spin, no hear say, etc... just post the facts so that I can research it for myself.

Thank you.

3. Orvie

Orvie New Member

I gotta little chuckle here where you said how smart and knowledgeable the AV translators were (which, despite their theology, I agree)however, when it comes to their preface, then they aren't so smart since they acknowledged their use of the Original, and that they also proved they were not KJVO by saying "a variety of translations are profitable for understanding the sense of the Scriptures"- Michelle, don't you see the double standard? we know you love God's Word, but most of us believe your zeal is misinformed, or misguided.
    God bless!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not to mention that, by Michelle's own line of thinking, the KJV translators were committing blasphemy when they referred to the occurrence of "lucifer" as "day starre".

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks for my laugh for the day!

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

No, The KJV was not based on the 1550 Stephanos. It was based on 1598 Beza's.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Stephens 1550 and Beza's 1588-89 differ very little. Both of these texts are but a slight modification of Erasmus' Greek text. The translators undoubtedly considered this agreement very weighty in their translation decisions.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Exactly, and there is little dispute that Stephen's 1550 is legitamately called the TR.

Bro Tony

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The NKJV excluded the TR - 40%!!!!

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Old Timer, you have excellent examples of many verses that the NKJV messed up. [​IMG]

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Correct.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Apparently not in the case of Mark 13:6 & Luke 21:8. OT tried to make the case that the NKJV is wrong because it leaves out Christ while the KJV adds Christ (in italics). The TR does not have the word Christ in these two verses. Tell me how did the NKJV mess up?

Bro Tony

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Where did the NKJV get its 40% non-TR words?

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What is your source for that statement?
    Again, what is your source for that statement?

While we're at it, the MKJV uses the same source texts as the KJV1611 and its two major revisions. Since the MKJV uses the same source texts 100%, then what is the problem you have with the MKJV, if your beef is source text authority?

15. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did the NKJV get its 40% non-TR words? </font>[/QUOTE]I have not heard this assertion before. Could you provide a link or a source so that I might check it out myself?

16. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Can I get an answer?

Bro Tony

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Click here: Itself or Himself

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Because the Gospels were writing by 4 godly men. These 4 Gospels are not translations. You confuse the difference between the writings and translations.

19. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

The statement has been made that the NKJV does not follow the TR, but the KJV does. Scriptures were given by KJVO (OT) that NKJV was in correct in its rendering of Mark 13:6 & Luke 21:8. In looking at Greek TR I have stated that it does not use the word Christ in either verse. The KJV adds Christ. It has been said that the NKJV messed it up. I am still waiting for someone to deal with this.

Bro Tony

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The Stephens 1550 and Beza's 1588-89 differ very little. </font>[/QUOTE]Correct! I agree with you.