1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does this make you uncomfortable at all?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

As I was driving home from work, I was thinking about the Trinity.

We all probably just simply think of it as:

God
    Son of God
    Holy Spirit

or

God the Father
    God the Son
    God the Holy Spirit

Would it make you uncomfortable to say:

The Father of God in reference to the Father?

It would then appear:

The Father of God
    The Son of God
    The Spirit of God

Thoughts if any? Better yet, any well thought out thoughts?

2. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you find "father of God" in Scripture?

Son of God, Spirit of God are biblical terms, but Father of God (or mother of God!!) are not.

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

Father of God just seems to imply that there is something higher than God almighty.

No it just seems to imply that there are four separate deities. The Father of our God, the Son of our God and the separate Spirit of our God, and of course it is implied, our God.

5. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

Revelation 1:6 is interesting. The KJ and NIV read totally different. Isaiah 9:6 also refers to Christ as both "son" AND "everlasting Father"

Rev 1:6 KJ And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Rev 1:6 NIV To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father--to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Isaiah 9:6 KJ For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 NIV For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

6. Watchman

Watchman New Member

The "Father of God" would seem (to me) to speak to the Mormon blasphemous view that our Lord Jesus Chriat was conceived, well, exactly the way all of us were conceived.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree.

"Father of God" is not a biblical term and is confusing, to say the least.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes it would be uncomfortable.
    It also takes away the distinctness of the three portions of the trinity. They all do not have the same functions, and are not interchangeable with each other.
    Gina

9. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Daniel if you thought of God in this prespective you are totally missing the point he IS. I am he. Not I am the father of he. Your point is mute

10. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

This sounds like the making of mormon theology. They have a belief that God almighty was once a man created by an almighty and though his holy life he ascended into the godhood.

11. aPirate

aPirate New Member

Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am not advocating mormonism, obviously. I was just thinking about the phrase.

I think in today's world of theological ignorance concerning God, many would be confused beyond help if they heard that phrase.

On a technical level though, I do think it is correct to say.

The phrase "Son of God" does not lessen the nature of the Son anymore than "Father of God" adds to the nature of the Father.

God the Father is the father of God the Son.

Anyway, I won't be using the phrase, but I wondered if others were as uncomfortable with it as I was.

13. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Well we say he sent HIS son, so the phrase is both misleading and correct. God the father is the Father of all, but he sent a part of himself to save us from our sins. He sent another part of himself to keep us inspired and "marked" (this term referring to the marking of the holy spirit in us). So he exists like this

Father Of all
    Savior of all
    Keeper of all.

sometimes it amazes me that people forget he's EVERYONE'S savior. that everyone no matter how tall, short, fat, thin, smart, stupid, nosey, refined, ect. Jesus died for everyone.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Scripture comes close ...

Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

HankD

15. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Hank, that is actually the text that made me think of all of this.

God the Father refers to God the Son as - God.

God the Son refers to God the Father as - God.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would not say God sent "a part of himself." While God is one, God the Father, Jesus, and the HS are 3 distinct Beings in the Godhead. God did not send "a part of Himself;" He sent His Son. [​IMG]

17. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

or just a better way to say it...God sent himself [​IMG]

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not happy with it at all. It may be logically consistent but it is both unnecessary, unscriptural and unhelpful to begin reasoning in that way

Yours in Christ

Matt

19. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

yes what is it the Bible says, there is a way that seems right in a man's heart that leads to death. Just because something sounds right does not mean that it is right. We can justify cold blooded murder in our minds, many have. Still, thou shalt not kill is the law of God.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That would be the heretical Oneness view. I am continually amazed at the advocacy of the Oneness view on the BB, either purposefully or inadvertently. One would never think that it is a big deal in the Baptist only forum to say that God sent His son, Jesus.

God did not send himself, he sent His son.
    Well, there is much more but it is clear that God sent His son, Jesus. The Father is NOT the Son; the Son is NOT the Father.