1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does what is actually true really matter to you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Jan 14, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally we as Christians hold some certain beliefs, when questioned or opposed we dig in and cannot here the other view.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always been of a mind to be convinced from scripture my beliefs are in error. So, yes, truth really does matter to me.

Truth exists apart from me and apart from you. My beliefs may be wrong or your beliefs may be wrong. Additionally, we cannot both be correct but we can both be wrong.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @canadyjd,
    Often what one thinks to be one issue of disagreement can actually be multiple issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact is that most are here to be heard, not to listen.

*hear

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect we agree on much more than not. We just don’t debate unless we disagree.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many issues.

What is your understanding of God being a self evident truth? Like the concept of 1 + 1;= 2?

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But often it comes down to our interpenetration of Scripture

For example - Communion - Is closed communion the proper scriptural way or is open communion.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord’s supper was initially a fellowship meal of believers to proclaim the death of Christ, reminding them of His sacrifice. Paul warns that if taken in an unworthy manner it could lead to sickness and death.

I would allow any who desired to fellowship with us through the supper to do so, but always admonished everyone that examine themselves beforehand, to seek forgiveness from God and to be focused upon our Lord.

I do hope that pleased God, as that was my intent.

peace to you

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t think I’d reduce God to 1 + 1 = 2. There is more to consider.

Scripture tells us the truth of God’s existence should be obvious from His creation. We also know from scripture the effect of sin in the lives of humans has caused them, everyone, to reject this revelation of God found in creation.

Additionally, God is Spirit and we are flesh. He exists in a place we cannot access in this life, with the very rare exception of God’s supernatural intervention as in the case of Paul and John being taken to the third heaven.

peace to you

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not trying to make my comment about any doctrine - including communion
    Only using that as an example.

The OP asks us if we are willing to look at the other side of an issue/doctrine

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, can’t help myself.

Right, I think it’s important to know what others believe. Not only that, but to accurately repeat what they believe.

I find most of the time we aren’t debating what others believe, but a caricature of what they believe or of what we believe.

I remember a few years back someone started posting on BB that John MacArthur was teaching a works based salvation. Of course, JMac explicitly states what he believes (Lordship Salvation) is not a works based merited salvation.

So we spend all our time saying “you believe works based salvation” “No I don’t” “yes you do” no I don’t” yes you do”, instead of actually debating what Lordship Salvation really means.

We are currently having similar discussions about whether “faith” is a work.

peace to you

12. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man. That's true. I thought the world of JMac and his writings on Lordship Salvation had a big part in convincing me that there was something to this Calvinism stuff. I was blown away when I read a book on God's sovereignty written by top Calvinist academics of today that completely dismissed JMac's views.

I also have actually read a lot of Puritans and what they said was not even close to what the internet Calvinist warriors are saying. And if you really want a shocker, read Augustine himself. I'm not saying he's Catholic. But he wouldn't last a second in most Reformed churches today either.

Also, I have found that there is more diverse opinion among Calvinists than between a lot of moderate Calvinists and regular Baptists.

And the most helpful thing I have discovered is that most people's opinions are much more affected by the group that they perceive as being important to be member in good standing of than any real evaluation of the truth of the positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying 1 + 1 equaling 2 does not need God to be true? In which case, there never needs to be any kind of god, let alone God. Whom we who are genuine Christians should know. John 17:3.

#13 37818, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever read the first discussion board?

Go to the book of Job and see how the persons speak and ask whether anything has changed.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    Speaking only for myself, the times when I will speak up and strongly disagree is when I perceive that the glory of God is being diminished via the other person's assertion. I will speak up and hold my ground on the full Supremacy of God in all things. I will not waver in this because any wavering takes away from the glory God is due.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7:21-23, ". . . Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. . . ."

17. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever read the Bible?

#18 kyredneck, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Ky. But I have not yet developed sufficient self esteem to get on a forum and spout my own unique interpretation. But some have. And everyone can tell.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh, that’s changing with the Woke “Idiot” culture.:Rolleyes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1