1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Your baptist Church "Honor" Baptisms Done By Non baptists As Valid?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The command and authority to baptize was given to the Eleven, which comprised the first church. The authority to baptize was given to the a church. That first church settled in Jerusalem, from which Philip and others went out to the surrounding area.

Paul went out from FBC Antioch, along with Barnabas and later Silas. They went with the authority to baptize. They organized their converts into assemblies and instructed them.

One of those churches Paul instructed was FBC Corinth. In his first letter, 11:2 he instructed them to guard the ordinances. To me that means protect the integrity of the ordinances by making sure that baptism is of believers only, by immersion, to picture the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

2. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

There's a whole lot of assuming going on there. First of all, the eleven were not the first "church" as you are defining it. The eleven were the foundation of the then yet future church. Christ is the Head of the Body, not of a small group. Read all of the verses in reference to the church & to the Holy Spirit; since you cannot have a church under the new Covenant without the indwelling. Do you understand that Christ died under the Old Law & that the New Covenant was not in affect until the sealing of the Holy Spirit? Several events had to occur before the church/Body of Christ could be established. I know, you don't believe in the Church/Bride/Body of Christ, but this is why your theology is so skewed. You reject clear Biblical teaching. The Church/Body of Christ works through the local assemblies. Without them, the universal church can do nothing in this world. The Body of Christ & local churches, like Christ's deity & humanity, are coexistent truths. The New Covenant has brought all believers into a personal, priestly relationship with God. The authority to baptize was given to all believers, even according to your own beliefs. The authority was given to the church, not to a single religious leader. What is the church? A building? A schedule of meetings? Does it exist only when we are gathered under a voted-in leader? Or are we the church where ever we are?

Matthew 16:18 …I will build my church: future tense — The verb tense here the writer portrays an action or state of being that will occur in the future(1st occurrence, occurs only in Matthew's Gospel)
    Mark 9:1 they shall see the kingdom (church) come in power
    John 7:38-39 Spirit not given until after Jesus was glorified.
    Acts 1:1-12 Spirit baptism is a prerequisite to the “Great Commission”.

I'll start a new thread later that explains when the church truly began & why it could not have begun before that time.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good question. Once it's immersion with the right understanding of what it represents, I have no problem honoring such. But it the person requests a new baptism, then maybe.