1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your church applaude?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Sopranette, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Does your church applaude after every song the choir performs? This seems to be something else that has changed since I was a child. There was no applause at all in my church when I was younger, no matter how skilled, no matter how young the musician was. It just wasn't done. Now, it just seems expected. It's a distraction, really. And why does the choir do another song right in between the reading from the scripture and before the sermon. I would rather the Pastor went straight through, personally. Does your church do this, and why?

love,

Sopranette

2. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Our church does not applaud. The choir also does not sing between the Scripture reading and the message. Once the Pastor is up there, that's it.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We will applaud when there is a "performance" but we don't usually applaud after a worship song. However, some have been known to clap after a song that just touches their heart - not applauding the worship team but the Lord. I've heard it called a "clap offering" but it's not something that is really typical and the entire church doesn't join in - it's usually just those few people.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We applauding regularly . . .

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

We don't have a choir, so it really isn't much of an issue for us, but I have noticed that a lot of music in churches nowadays is a performance.

Kind of like the National Anthem.

I can remember when the job of the person singing the national anthem was to lead everybody in singing it and now, nobody does because it's just a performance.

It's like the other day when they played the big hockey game outside and that one legged Irish guy (sorry, forget his name) asked everyone to stand and honor the troops and the country by singing with him (and then proceeded to confuse the heck out of them by singing the rarely heard first verse, which nobody knows). But at least he tried.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    we applaud sometimes... it depends on the mood of the music. If it's one of quiet worship, we don't. Sometimes if it is one of uplifting rousing worship, we do.

It's easy to say that people are applauding a performance. It's also a bit judgmental. It judges that the person singing is merely doing it for applause and that the listeners are merely an audience rather than a participant in the worship service.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree Tom. It is also easy to look backwards and see how much "better" things were in previous years as if the church and people were some how more "spiritual" then.

Ecclesiastes 7:10 "Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions."

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We normally applaud. I think it is for two reasons.

1. To worship of the Father.

2. To encourage the servant(s).

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, brother Tom. I will consider that during church services from now on.

love,

Sopranette

10. Joe

Joe New Member

What happens when someone with a lousy voice sings and the congregation cringes?

Do you boo them? :D

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OH, go ahead ;)

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My church applauds, but I'm still not comfortable with it. But I recognize that I'm a product of my early Southern Baptist upbringing, where applause was not done.

On the other hand, we have a 5th Sunday night singing, and for some reason, applause bothers me less in those circumstances.

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Oh, so this is why my wife told me not to post after taking all of that cold medicine.

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Yes some applaud in our church after a "special music" of some type. Its a way of showing that we were blessed by it. Many say "amen" (men and women). I see nothing wrong with it. Seems legalistic to me to say ya cant clap in church when you've just been blessed by something.

15. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I didn't say it was wrong, just distracting.

love,

Sopranette

16. readmore

readmore New Member

Heh... :laugh:

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

The question does not arise in our church, because we don't have a choir, or any kinds of performances. We often have a hymn, and prayer, between the reading from the bible, and the sermon. I can see that this could be a distraction, but we do try to ensure that the words of the hymns are linked to the subject-matter of the sermon, which we find is helpful.

#17 David Lamb, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  18. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

During liturgy our Church doesn't applaude...worship is not religious entertainment...

ICXC NIKA
    -

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Didn't you get the memo? Worship is about US. It's about OUR getting fed. It's about meeting OUR needs. It's about OUR feeling good.

Oh, never mind. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

20. Karen

Karen Active Member

Our church does, too. But on the other hand, we never clap when we have been blessed by other things, only music. So why only music if we are clapping because we have been blessed?
    We have never clapped after the sermon.