1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your church do any continuing education within it's staff?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Oct 28, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As my hubby just finished up another class this past week, I was wondering if other churches do this sort of thing.

When my husband came on staff, there were 7 pastors, 4 of whom were ordained and 3 who were not. My husband came on and shortly after, another man came on staff making it 4 ordained pastors and 5 licensed but not ordained pastors. Over the next 3 years, they started studying together, working through systematic theology books, taking three weeks per topic and studying it well enough to teach. When they got to the end of the three weeks, they all gathered together and 2 names were drawn from a hat for those two to teach the class about the topic. Ordained and unordained pastors were included in the hat so even the ordained pastors had to study this stuff again. Over the 3 years, there were fellow pastors from other churches who would sit in here and there, sometimes also putting their names in the hat, sometimes not. But they would still sit in on the class and ask the "teacher" questions. After the three years, the ordained pastors and the visiting pastors approved the un-ordained pastors for ordination and in January of '06, the 5 pastors were ordained at our church. It was a great night.

Since that time, the men have continued to do this same thing with different topics, the most recent is hermenutics, I think. Since the ordination, some of the deacons have begun to sit in on the class too and hubby told me that in this most recent topic, they invited the pastors of two small local churches to join them. He said it's gone really well.

So what do you think? Is this good/effective? Has your church or anyone you know done something similar?? I know hubby is learning a lot through this method and he's been enjoying it. :)

2. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

Our church doesn't do anything like that, but I think it's a great idea. I may have to suggest it to my pastor.

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

What a wonderful idea! If only more churches could systematically study the Bible that way, it would be a blessing to the church. I like that there are several men studying, and that deacons are welcome as well.