1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Your Church Have A Dress Code?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Men should be required to wear pants {and shirts} and women should be required to wear dresses that do not show thigh and/or behind when they sit down.

Paul had it correct: When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, {and I wore short pants}: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What about women wearing pants?

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church doesn't seem to have any real restrictions. Obviously members are expected to dress modestly. That's about it so far as Im aware.
    People come in casual, everyday clothes, or they can come in in something much nicer. I never noticed if anyone wore shorts or not, but it doesn't seem to be restricted.

I'm glad I can wear pants to my church. I'm much more comfortable in them than in a Sunday dress.

#23 evenifigoalone, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,

Let's hope so? Actually I know what you are referring to, but I see no problem with women wearing pants. For six years, I pastored a snowbird church and it seemed that all the older ladies felt more comfortable wearing pant suits. Who was I to tell them not to wear what they felt comfortable in? After all, I didn't wear a tie. And one day when a lady mentioned to me her opinion about me not wearing a tie ... I looked her in the eye and told her if she didn't mention the tie again, I wouldn't require that ladies stop wearing pants. That was the end of the difference of opinions, and we both smiled and went about our business! :flower:

#25 righteousdude2, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The thing that gets me about women not wearing pants is that in biblical times didn't men AND women BOTH wear robes? Did women wear dresses during this time?

Read in Exodus 28 about Aaron and his sons' apparrell. They were covered from the loins unto the the thigh(Exo. 28:42). They were wearing what appears to look like shorts in the inner part...Holiest of Holies.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there is the hara kiri option....

Mrs. Takasugi brings the chicken and rice, and Mr. Ueno brings the Japanese style chicken, so we're definitely Baptist! :smilewinkgrin:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Did women wear dresses to church during biblical times??

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

But no dumplings?

How about fried, BBQ, cassarole?

Ya ain't baptist unless dumplings are involved.

Y'all are pseudo-Baptists, Brother John... :smilewinkgrin:

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

In our church we've got suits to jeans sitting in the same pew. Sometimes the teens who play soccer will come to church in their uniforms, either directly from an early game or ready to play an afternoon game. No one blinks. Why should they? The family is in church. Isn't that all that matters?

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

My wife chooses not wear pants to a meeting of the Church but I can't speak for others. Frankly I do not like to see women wear pants to a meeting of the Church. The following is an example of what happens when dress codes, whether stated or implied are tossed aside.

In 1960 I started work at the Savannah River Laboratory operated by DuPont for the Atomic Energy Commission! At that time women working at SRL all wore dresses. The male engineers/chemists/physicists all wore shirts and ties.

Some years later, after the introduction of the pants suit, all the women decided to wear pants suits on a given day. The pants suits were basically full length dresses with pants underneath. Nothing was said by management and the dress of many of the women gradually deteriorated until tight jeans or baggy "sweats" were worn. I never saw any shorts other than short skirts. The dress of the men was essentially unchanged except during the energy crisis they were advised that open collar shirts were okay one day a week I believe. I don't believe that there was any specific stipulation that men wear ties but it was the custom. I do know of one case in which an engineer was told not to wear a poncho to work.

The same has happened to women's dress in the meeting of the Church. Sadly in some instances that of the men is even worse, coming to the meeting of the Church on cutaway shorts "sweating like a hog", assuming hogs really sweat!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a word....."NO" but what matters is the spiritual integrity & the belief of the Christian & that he or she is bearing fruit.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TIMES, they are a changin!

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few churchladies are still holding the line:

Mrs. Albert Mohler, in Southern Baptist Theological Seminary's magazine The Tie several years ago:

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask Old Regular....he was there.....:laugh:

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

Romans 10, NASB
    14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? ​
    I agree with your statement EW&F, but we've gotta get 'em where they can hear the word so they know what that means. How they dress? Who cares?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:Who cares what she thinks anyway! Do clothes reveal that we are Christians, or does the heart? If Mrs. Albert Mohler wasnt so darn superficial, then perhaps more people would be in church.:mad:

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Ouch.........

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Need a "Like" button here, please.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Press article on Mrs. Albert Mohler's churchlady attire seminar at SBTS:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.