1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your church have a "music ministry"?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 6, 2014.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What does your church do to "minister musically"?

Is it just the time during the worship service that music is going on, and the practice the band/choir takes to get prepared, or are there other things that help you minister musically?

2. Heda

Heda New Member

My church here in the Czech republic doesn't have any, there is just one organ player and people sing, but there is nothing organized really.. But when I studied in the U.S., there was a great music ministry and everything was prepared so well and I couldn't believe how organized everything was! That would never happen here in Czech!

3. Nichole44

Nichole44 New Member

To minister musically in my church, we have a band, a praise and worship team, and we have a choir. Sometimes, we have worship music softly playing before service starts to set the atmosphere to welcome God's presence into the building. Also, we do have altar call and during that time, the band is playing softly and the praise team is singing softly as the pastor or one of the ministers is praying for the people at the altar.

4. R. L. Frame

R. L. Frame New Member

Not yet. I have volunteered to lead a choir. I have yet to broadcast that I am a choir director, though. I started our first practices up in November - to teach 1 or 2 Christmas songs with SABT. I hit a great opposition and was told that is not how they used to do it in their previous choir. O O

Apparently they all want to sing the melody, which tends to make the men sound like they have to pee really bad during the high notes and the women sound utterly depressed during the low notes.

So, I scratched the Christmas songs and we are going to start back the first week of the new year with "new" songs they have never heard so they can learn to trust me when I teach them harmony.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that it is the time we sing together. We minister to one another to speaking to ourselves in psalms, hymns an spiritual songs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, we have something. It is not really traditional and its not really contemporary. Its kind of an attempt to compromise and make all ages happy. All it really does is make no one happy. It kind of gives me insight into what Jesus tried to convey with the term "lukewarm." My 6 year old is a huge Newsboys fan. He also loves Ryan Stevenson and Graham Saber. Our praise team attempted to play "Gods not dead." They had the digital drums turned way down. (First mistake, don't play Newsboys on digital) For anything Newsboys to sound right, you have to feel the kick drum and the floor Tom in your chest when they hit. When both kicks get kicked at the same time, it should shake the building. About 1/3 of the way into the song, my 6 year old told me real loudly "Daddy, that's awful. That boy needs to get Duncan Phillips to teach him how to play the drums."
    When it comes to music, play it like it's written.

#6 Reynolds, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a small choir.

We're not against contemporary music, but we don't believe it's appropriate for worship.

So, no Newsboys and no "special music".

8. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I have no objections to The different kinds of music quote ; "PRAISE AND WORSHIP" Whether it be contemporary, traditional, Southern Gospel or C & W , It is the contention of most music leaders' Ministers or Directors to over emphasize it and in a lot of time elevate it to the same level as the WORD which should always be the focal point of any service and given more time.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have praise and worship teams, and liked it when we had separate music leaders, as one led us in contemporary flavor, another in rocking style, and my favorite one, who used classic hymns!

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a different connotation for "special music" than at our thoroughly traditional church, where the term merely denotes music ministry beyond congregational singing. (We currently use "Living Hymns", edited by Alfred B. Smith.) As such, special music includes the choir, soloists, small groups, and invited musicians from other ministries. We have 1 to 3 special programs per year, Christmas, Resurrection Sunday, a children's program, and they may be all music or music and drama.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Newsboys? What's wrong with y'all people?