1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does your church have an altar?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Apr 14, 2022.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the purpose of an altar in a Christian sanctuary? We don't offer up sacrifices on it.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a symbol of the Old Covenant or some pagan religions & has no use nor place in a Christian sanctuary, regardless of its denomination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could we say that we are sacrificing our life at the "Altar"
    I have also heard it called a "mourning bench"

And why do churches call it the "Sanctuary"
    The word sanctuary is only in the NT 4 times - each time it is talking about the OT sanactuary.

Heb 9:2 states "the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary."
    Does your church have a candlestick, and shwebread....?

and it is used in Heb 8:2 - but then in vs 6:
    "But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a
    better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

(bold is my emphasis)

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We set the communion elements on it. It is a table that says "This do in remembrance of me.".

Do you find fault with every tradition of the church?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if they are man-made
    But I wonder how they have evening services - would be rather hard with no electricity

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jackson Dickerson

Jackson Dickerson New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    YES

20211211_071758.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every one that's not in Scripture. We see no examples of Christians using altars in Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are right that an Altar doesn’t make sense unless there is a Sacrifice.

Catholics see the Eucharist as The New and Everlasting Covenant in Christ’s Blood.
    For us it is not just a remembrance meal of bread and wine, it is the Altar of Everlasting Covenant with Christ.
    If you don’t see the Lord’s Supper as the New and Everlasting Covenant Sacrifice in Christ’s Blood, an Altar will not make sense to you.

It is the Everlasting Covenant that we participate in, so that everyone can be present at the Lord's Supper down the ages.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus used a Table when He performed communion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm speaking of a physical altar.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. They ate a whole meal (passover) at it as well as the first Communion.

What I'm not knowledgeable of is whether they were seated at the table, or it was a low table from which they ate from while reclining, Roman-style, resting on the L elbow while feeding themselves with the R hand. Paintings of the occasion always show them seated, but I'm leaning toward their reclining because of this verse: John 13:23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.

11. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “We have a cup that we bless; is not this cup we bless a participation in Christ’s blood? Is not the bread we break a participation in Christ’s body? 17 The one bread makes us one body, though we are many in number; the same bread is shared by all.[9] 18 Or look at Israel, God’s people by nature; do not those who eat their sacrifices associate themselves with the altar of sacrifice?“

Paul is making the association between the Jewish sacrifices and Altar of Sacrifice with the Last Supper.

Even further he differentiates between the “ Table of the Lord “ The Christian Altar and the “ Table of devils “ the pagan altars and the foods offered on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So in these passages we the association of the Lord’s Supper with the Jewish sacrifices and Altar of Sacrifice.

“ It is we that were foreshadowed in these events. ”

The Old Covenant Sacrifices and Altar of Sacrifice pre figured the Lord’s Supper, and the Lord’s Table, which is the Sacrifice and Altar of the New and Everlasting Covenant.

Paul calls the pagan altars the “ Table of demons “ where sacrificial foods are offered, differentiation he makes with the “ Table of the Lord “.

Ask yourself why the Lord’s Supper is brought up between these terms of sacrifice and altars of sacrifice unless the Lord’s Supper is indeed viewed as a Sacrifice and His Table an Altar.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You cannot read the institution of the new covenant (testament) narratives without recalling Exodus 24, where after Moses offers the blood of the covenant, he and the others are taken up to eat and drink in the presence of God (communion)...

"And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, 'Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.' Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness. And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink." (Exodus 24:8-11, KJV)

Read what Jesus does and institutes on this evening and you will understand why Christians have an altar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All of the earliest churches that have been excavated have altars.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems like the OP is going on a major campaign against having a table for the Lords Supper
    Unless you can show scripture - that we should NOT have one - this is much ado about nothing!

If a church wants an alter fine - if not fine!
    Bottom line -where does Scripture prohibit it!

16. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly!

17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I attended a local Baptist church in our town where a close friend of mine attends. The Lord's Supper was offered at the end of the service. Specifically, people were told that their were 'elements of bread and grape juice to partake if you like in the vestibule as you leave'. There was no related scripture to the Lord's Supper read, no exhortation given to people warning them not to partake of the Lord's Supper with sin in their lives, no speaking to the significance of the 'ordinance', and no communion table. Just people passing out 'Communion to Go' packets. I believe each packet had a communion wafer and a cup of grape juice inside.

There is another church (I think it is a Methodist church) that has drive-by 'Holy Communion on the go' option. No attendance at church necessary.

Thoughts?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Cry

I attended one church for a short period of time- and the Lords supper would be at the beginning of the service - The pastor just aske to come up - take a cup and a bread -- partake - and go back to your seat - and as Walter stated "There was no related scripture to the Lord's Supper read, no exhortation given to people ..."
    I never partook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My thoughts are best expressed by Fulton Sheen…

“He did not ask that men should write down His Words into Scripture; He did not ask that His kindness to the poor should be recorded in history; but He did ask that men remember His Death. And in order that its memory might not be any haphazard narrative on the part of men, He Himself instituted the precise way it should be recalled. The memorial was instituted the night before He died, at what has since been called ‘The Last Supper.’” - Fulton Sheen

20. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your joking.