1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your nativity scene tell the truth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by J.D., Dec 13, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does your nativity scene, if you have one, tell the truth, or does it tell a lie?

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine tells the truth. I didn't add my wise men until about 2 years after I originally put it up.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's good. But where are the wise men?

4. Jillian

Jillian New Member

I believe Nativity scenese are against the second commandment.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with that, but I try to withhold judement on those that are not persuaded in their conscience of it. But not only that, my contention is that most images don't tell the truth, or at least make assumptions that the scripture does not authorize.

If a person knows that a nativity scene does not depict the truth, why would they display one? Doesn't that amount to an intentional lie?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

I can't think of one Baptist that worships a nativity scene.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Since there is no way to be completely historically accurate (we don't have every detail)...it is impossible to have a "perfect" nativity scene.

But calling it a "lie" is a stretch, IMO.

8. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Do all the pictures around your house depict the truth? Or do you change them when you're mad at the neighbor or grumpy before breakfast (not to mention bed-hair)? They're just there for memories, reminders. They don't have to be depicting the actual details (At least my pictures better not depict exact details. This is why I pay the photographer so much!):laugh:

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think the make up of the nativity scene is an open question. There is nothing definitive about when the Wise Men arrived. It all depends on how God arranged things, while it is generally accepted that the Wise Men arrived a year or two later, they could have also arrived soon after the birth. It all depends on when God moved them to take a road trip to Bethlehem. Now while Herod's order can be a clue to the time frame it could also be making an allowance in age range just to be sure.

At the same time the number of Wise Men is up in the air, there could have been 2 or there could have been 200 hundred. The number three fits in monkish sort of way as there were three gifts.

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

How many is 200 hundred? :D

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, but we do have some details. If the display flatly contradicts the scriptures, isn't that a lie against the truth?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

If we're using the nativity scene as a symbolic reminder of Christmas' true meaning, I don't see the problem.

I teach my kids what we do know about the events surrounding the birth of Christ...and I tell them some of the stuff we really don't know, but are guessing on...

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Is this thread supposed to be in the jokes forum? Do people really get offended about whether or not the wise men see the cows and hay? Doubtlessly, the newborn baby and mother were in a proper room the next day, so even if the wise men were a day late (and a dollar short, as it were), they probably went to a house anyway. The Wise Men were astrologers and Star worshippers anyway, so why can't we just leave them on the mantle next to the cute little stable and animals that were eating out of his bed (yeah, right?).?

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about if I had a red man with a pitchfork, pointed tail, and horns on his head bowing down to worship the baby Jesus in my nativity scene. Would that be okay? After all, if one lie is okay, shouldn't the other one be okay?

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

now you're being silly.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably? What saith scripture?

17. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread went the way of the ridiculous real quick. I'm sorry I even posted my response earlier on.

As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief."

#17 SBCPreacher, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  18. standingfirminChrist

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm.... no biblical responses to my question. Guess I better go back to the Baptist-only forum.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now THAT Scripture saith a lot! :D