1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does your poor health limit you?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by SaggyWoman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

How does your poor health limit you, if it does?

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I have a form of arthritis that involves severe muscle spasms in my back at times. A wrong move can shoot lightning down my legs (which can drop you to your knees) or wrap around my torso (which sucks the air out of your lungs). It certainly slows a fellow down. I don't hunt like I used to. I still hunt, but the places are changed. I also don't go on bad days. I have done some construction ministry, and most of our home remodeling. I worked slower when I had to, stopped when I must, and relied wholly on God's grace to perfect my weakness.

That is not to say that being a type A personality in a type B body has not had its other challenges. Depression has been an issue.

It took all this to get me to repent and pursue being a pastor, as He called me to do when I was a kid.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Rinse and repeat!

Arthritis saps my energy, steals my stamina, spoils my strength and ability to lift and worse grip and generally keeps me in constant pain/concern that what I'm doing will cause more.

Because I refuse to take pain killers, I stay very aware of my body and how what I'm doing will affect it. I rest quite a bit but read to keep my brain alive and me from going nuts. Arthritis is a big part of the reason I'm continuing my education. I've lost the ability to sit and sew for hours. Since I LOVE to do just that and have made my living from it since I was quite young it is probably the biggest change I've had to make.

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Yes, but why do you ask?

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have bad knees from the Army.

I am not able to be involved in acitvities such as running, basketball and the like

In addition, my choice of jobs is limited. In the Army I was trained in supply. Not able to do a lot of lifting these days.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been 'half lame' from an accident 2004, crushed my heel bone into eight pieces, 10 pins and a bracket put it all back together, but I'll never be what I was before that. I was very physical, very active before the incident....

...and I was going to share a lot more, had it written up, but decided against it.

Physical disabilities can lead to mental depression which is even worse. I'm all better now, but it took a while.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Just interested in people's stories.

8. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

At times, yes. On my good days I do what I want (and tend to overdo). I have arthritis in both knees and have fibromyalgia. I refuse to take meds for the fibro (the side effects are horrible) so I have to manage with OTC pain relief when needed. It's interesting how I've learned to lean more on the Lord to get me through. I try very hard not to let my diagnosis define who I am or what I do.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sometimes in a major way, sometimes not so much.

I was on Lyrica, which I quit because all I did was SLEEP, but am now reconsidering after over a year of seeing what flares are like without it. I dunno...it's tough to choose between the two because when I'm NOT in a flare, I do pretty good!

Flare-limits walking, lots of pain, I usually won't work during those times. Lots of other lovely things accompany it that I won't mention!

It's kinda crazy to go from one extreme to the other. Being able to run around a gym and have fun one day, being almost totally worthless the next, but at least I've learned how to (usually) tell a flare approaching. And have my make up ready. LOL First sign is usually this lovely butterfly rash and more on my face, which makes me look monstrous imo, but others don't see it the way I do. That is good. The bad part is that with that skin rash comes flaking, peeling skin on my face and head, so much so that I have to clean my glasses often and that is VERY demeaning to feel like you're walking around shedding skin. I can rub my face with my hand and it comes away covered in skin cells. GROSS! The part that affects my organs and such is much more serious, but it's the cosmetic part of it that really annoys me in public and makes it the toughest to deal with.

No woman wants to walk around feeling she looks like a diseased, ugly hag.

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

My mum has just flown back to Australia after a lovely visit. She will be 80 next year and adores travel, and is in a position to do so. It is helpful having a relation living in the City of London.

I feel like a decrepit , neck problems, now something is amiss with my knee. I was cross wih myself being unable at times to delude mum about my health status.