1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dog Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by JonC, Aug 3, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dog is almost 17 years old. He is older than my son. Here's the dilemma:

Bull is not really sick. He can't get around and is loosing weight. I feel sorry for him as he can't do what he was able to do when he was younger (I empathize with his situation). But he is getting worse.

At what point do you consider it warranted to put a pet down when the animal does not appear to be in pain? On one hand I feel I should have put him down months ago...but on another since he does not appear to be suffering I've waited. I don't want him to suffer, and he is not, but his quality of life is non-existent.

I'm planning on talking to the vet and scheduling a time to have him put down (a.k.a. killed) but am wrestling with the decision. I really don't think it is fair to have him suffer through the winter (we will take him inside, but he would have to be carried in and out).....looking for suggestions from those who have gone through the same type of struggle.

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I have had Pups nearly continuously (excepting a handful of years) since childhood. Been there. The last one was the toughest.

My opinion only. My best advice is to take him to the vet for a checkup. There is where you could probably get the best-informed medical opinion.

Ugh.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I am planning. I'll speak with the vet, and I know the vet, Monday. It's disheartening, but I think that I know the answer regardless of a check up.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been in that exact position... carrying out the dog so he could do his stuff, picking him back up and putting him in his bed... eventually he couldn't even stand up, That's when I took him to the vet .
    I probably should have put him down a year earlier but he wasn't complaining... much.

It will still hurt when you loose him.

I'm pet free and kid free now, WOO HOO!!!
    ,,, but the subject of a dog came up yesterday after a bat found its way into the house and I live trapped a raccoon near the trash the same morning.

Rob

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea...I'm going to talk with the vet but I expect to be taking him (the dog) in next week to be euthanized (killed). It is a hard decision and it would be much easier if there were signs of distress. But I also know that for an animal survival is paramount regardless of "quality of life". I suppose that is the difference between "pet parents" and humans. :(