1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Don't miss the next great debate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Jan 30, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I missed that of the debate, so I can't comment. I will say I did not appreciate Bill's bend toward agnosticism or even atheism. I would appreciate more a debate between believers having differing views.

2. Archie the Preacher

Disingenuous?

How is that disingenuous?

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary site:
    Jedi, that is how science works, evidence - proof - changes the viewpoint. Scientists are not always happy to see their pet theory disproved, but it is evidence which drives theories and research.

Ken Ham has been quoted as saying nothing will ever change his mind on the subject. So when Jesus returns and verifies the age of the Earth as some 4.7 billion years ago from 'now', Mr. Ham will still deny it.

3. Archie the Preacher

That cuts both ways, Jedi

Now it's my turn. Mark 7:1-3.

Or is the 'majority' right when you follow them?

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did Jesus provide proof? Did they rally behind Him? Evolution was created to try and kill the God of the Bible because they don't want to face Him as their judge.

5. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Kent Hovind and Ken Ham totally different manners in responding in a debate. But yes I like to discuss this topic because it opens doors and hearts to fundamental issues of life. That said I strongly believe a young Earth is the Biblical answer and an old Earth view down plays Gods simple truth.

#45 Jedi Knight, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

QF, you know that Ham would NOT like it though. He wants only to argue against atheists/agnostics, it is part of sustaining the false dilemma.

7. humblethinker

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching the debate on YouTube. Each side just finished their first arguments.

First, the debate topic is too broad, and it allows too much from both sides to be brought in which can't be discussed in depth. The debate topic should have been something like, Is radiometric dating a reliable gauge of the age of rocks?

But because the topic is broad, the floodgates are open to allusions to a dizzying array of subjects the education of which most have only an introduction, and that frought with mistaken notions.

But despite that, Ken Ham was well-poised, well-prepared and within his first five-minute presentation identified the need to define the terms in the question and to be consistent in their usage.

Bill Nye seemed nervous, and seemed to be winging some of his arguments, and that surprised me, but I think his weakness could have been due in part to the fact that he didn't expect Ham's opening to be a strong one, and that he himself didn't realize till that night that he employed shifting definitions in his arguments. I could be wrong. I got the impression he was expecting a featherweight and got suckerpunched.

That's my impression so far.

9. humblethinker

I felt embarrassed for Ham. "I've got a book for you" is hardly a scientific hypothesis.

10. quantumfaith

Our simple truths are simply different.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nor is "I don't know" regarding where the material that started the universe came from. :) But THAT is what Ham was referring to. He knew the answer when Nye didn't. ;)

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they're not. Either one is true and the other is false, or they're both false. They aren't simply different.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can debate origins ad infinitum with no winner at the end.

Origins is really not a subject for science class--creation/evolution as well. The scientific method cannot be used. Theoretical models can be devised; but in the final analysis faith is required for evolution and divine creation.
    Then there are those who believe in divine evolution aka: theistic evolutionists--the best of both world views. Not really--this view ignores the suddenness of creation in Genesis 1.

Faith comes by hearing, hearing The Word of God. Ken Ham knows this. Perhaps some more evidence like: the first book printed and is still on the best seller list; much assailed, but never successfully refuted--even in American English would have been helpful. Ken did a good job.

Bill Nye was getting hit with both barrels--he said early that he had learned something. His countenance was changing--the scales of unbelief glaring from his eyes. The seed has been sown. We will see on what kind of ground.

Pray for Bill Nye and all of his colleagues.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#53 Bro. James, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finished watching the debate. The topic was too broad, so Nye could bring in an array of conventional wisdom for which too little time was allowed to deal with adequately, but Ham was good at hitting the highlights.

Nye was campaigning.

The moderator should have done better at selecting questions for the debators. The personal questions were stupid.

15. quantumfaith

In much the same way the C/A debate goes on.

Not sure what you mean by "evolutionary theists" ignore the suddenness of creation....the "big bang" is pretty sudden.

I look forward to more such debates. However, I think I would enjoy more two or more theists (christian) debating.

16. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

:applause:

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sudden enough for all life to be in existence immediately?

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. humblethinker

@RichardDawkins: I was against Bill Nye's decision to debate. I now realise Ken Ham is wonderfully embarrassing for Xtians & should be given max exposure.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Not so embarrassing. Just remember that this is coming from the guy who believes we came from crystals flying through space. :)