1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

don't think it

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by wopik, Jul 4, 2005.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

Jesus said, don't think that I am come to destroy the Law or the Prophets....... (Matt. 5:17-18).

and what do most people think ? They think what Jesus told them NOT to think --- that He came to destroy the Law and the Prophets !

Protestants think the Law was done away and nailed to the cross. That's what the Fuller theological preachers teach.

But that's not what Jesus taught: Jesus said, don't think that I am come to destroy the Law or the Prophets........

Not one letter or stroke of the pen was to vanish from the Law "until heaven and earth pass away" -- "until all is accomplished" (Ginomai) (Matt. 5:18)

Jesus came to fulfil (Pleroo) the Law (Matt. 5:17) -- to live it, to obey it, to explain it, to teach it, to fill it up ----- and the Sermon on the Mount is just loaded with examples.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the reason why we are not bound to the Law today is that Christ indeed fulfilled the Law.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

The Law has most certainly NOT been done away with.

The Law serves to drive a sinner to the end of Himself, and into the arms of Christ for salvation.

"Before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law. Kept for the faith which would afterword be revealed. Therefore the law was our schoolmaser, to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under the law."(Gal 3:23-25)

After we are born again, we are now delivered from the law,(Rom 7:6) no longer under the law,(Rom 6:14) dead to the law,(Rom 7:4) released from the law,(Rom 7:2) and freed from the law.(Rom 8:2)

We now walk in the newness of the Spirit, and not the oldness of the letter,(Rom 7:6) because the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.(2 Cor 3:6)

In adition, the law can also be a help as a fine moral guide. But we are not under it.

Man made religion loves to maintain the law, because it enables them to keep people in bondage to it...and to them.

But God has freed us from it.

God bless,

Mike

4. bmerr

bmerr New Member

bmerr here. Let's look at the Scripture you referred to, Matt 5:17, 18.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Question: Did Jesus fulfill the law and the prophets?

If He did not, then He did not do what He came to do.

If He did, then why are the law and the prophets not passed away?

Remember the mount of transfiguration in Matt 17? Who appeared with Jesus? Moses and Elijah. What do you suppose Moses represented? How about Elijah? I'd say the Law and the prophets, respectively.

Do you remember what the voice out of the cloud said? "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him."

In spite of the presence of both Moses and Elijah, Peter James and John were instructed to hear Jesus, instead of those whom they had listened to previously.

Why would you be in bondage under the Mosaic Law when there is such beautiful liberty in Christ?

In Christ,

bmerr

5. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Good post d28guy, I copied it.

Jesus came to set the captives free from the curse of the law. Amen.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed Christ perfectly fulfilled the Lev 19:18 requirement to "love your neighbor as yourself". He alone.

Christ perfectly fulfilled the Deut 6:5 requirement to Love God with all your heart. He alone.

But WE TOO are to live and act as those who are to be judged by law - law that INCLUDES that Lev 19 and Deut 6 requirement (James 2) which means WE TOO must "really" Love our neighbor and we must "really" Love God.

No pretending as Christ points out in Matt 7.

In Christ,

Bob

7. wopik

wopik New Member

D28Guy

This is talking about the sacrificial laws that were ADDED 430 years later (Gal 3:17), because the Covenant laws of the Ten Commandments (Dt. 4:13) were being transgressed (Gal. 3:19).

"For I spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices" - Jer. 7:22.

The sacrificial laws are done away, because Jesus is now the Passover sacrifice (1Cor. 5:7) --- the Lamb slain to take away the sins of the whole world (Jn 1:29).

"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sins" (Heb. 10:4).

8. billwald

billwald New Member

What does "fulfilled" mean? If Jesus had been born and died in the USofA would his "fulfilling" mean that we could blow stop signs?