1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

douay rheims/ KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by wfdfiremedic, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read the original Tyndale, you'll find Iesus, which comes from the Latin transliteration from the Greek.

2. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to espoused, there is no record that the KJV translators consulted Taverner's or even knew if its existence, since the the NT was published only once, in 1539. Certainly the Rheims was in circulation at the time of the translation, so it is most reasonable to look there for the source of the KJV rendering. Tyndale revised his NT; the 1526 edition has rest. Is there any evidence, in any case, that the KJV translators knew Tyndale except through Coverdale, etc.? Just asking.

#22 rsr, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was commenting on the apparent misspelling of "Rheimes".

HankD

4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of no historical evidence that clearly shows that the KJV translators directly consulted the 1539 Taverner's Bible.

On the other hand, there is firsthand historical evidence in the notes of one of the KJV translators that reveals that there was at least some consulting and use of the 1582 Rheims in the making of the KJV.

It is also known that some of the KJV translators had a copy of Fulke's book that printed the text of the Bishops' Bible's NT and the 1582 Rheims side by side.

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if there is any clear evidence that the KJV translators directly used an edition of Tyndale's New Testament although it is listed in the rules as one of the translations that they could consult.

It is unlikely that they consulted or used a 1526 edition of Tyndale's New Testament since it has been said that only three copies of it are known to have survived the efforts of the Bishop of London and others to burn or destroy it [one of those surviving copies was in Europe if I remember correctly].

While it is claimed that a large percentage of the KJV's NT comes from Tyndale's, most of that likely directly came from use of the Bishops' Bible and from use of the Geneva Bible and thus only indirectly from Tyndale's.

The 1602 edition of the Bishops' Bible was the starting English text used in the making of the KJV.

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems I was misled. Lay is from the first edition; rest is from the 1534-35 revision. So it seems unlikely, given the scarcity of the first edition, that it was the source of the rendering. (Of course, just because the bishop hunted down the first edition doesn't mean that some scholars didn't manage to collect some for their own use.)