1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doubt Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Allan;
    If you will give this some thought, it is exactly what I been trying to say "Faith is about that which you believe is true and acting in accordance with it." No more, no less.

BBob,

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

In reference to the OP:

I will not lie to you, myself, or God on this. I am as many Christians are, a past doubter. I doubted for many years based on 2 reasons.

1) I was baptized and told I was saved at 7. When I was convicted of the Holy Spirit and of free will accepted Christ as my Savior as a teenager, it took years to settle and confirm salvation within myself. The fact that I don't even remember the specifc night I asked the Lord to save me, or what age I was did not help either. It wasn't until I grasped I Cor. 15:1-4 and I John 5:13 that my doubts were relieved. I may not know the hour I was saved due to poor memory, but the Lord does. I may not remember the exact night, but I remember the gospel that was preached unto me.

2) I didn't know I had God's infallible word to guide me and give me assurance.

(and if there was a 3, I thought at one time that I could lose my salvation and therefore doubted frequently due to this).

It has been quite some time since I doubted my salvation, thank the Lord, but I am like many and have done so. It finally got to the point where I said, "Lord, I have done all I know to do by your word, if there is more tell me, if I did wrong tell me, I have done all you said to do." He is faithful.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

BB,
    Kind of what Allan said, I think one might think why on earth would a Christian do this or that or think this or that, but as far as any long term doubt, not really.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't have long term doubt either, but there are times I need to be lifted up of the Lord. I just am not on the mountian all the time. I wish I was, but I am not. Someday, I will not need faith or hope, for I will see God face to face.
    You know what pleases God. It is for those who have faith that all of this is real, without actually seeing God. The just shall live by faith.

Blessed are those who have not seen, but yet believe.

Mat 11:2Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,

Mat 11:3And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?

#24 Brother Bob, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm note suggesting absolute knowledge at all. I don't think there's any Scripture to that effect in respect to man.

2. What I'm talking about is spiritual maturity, dealing with the meaty stuff (Heb 5:11-14), growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Pet. 3:18).

3. Like any living organism where there must be an intake of the right food for there to be healthy growth and development, so it is with the Christian.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

TC;
    2Pe 3:18But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Are you saying then that we do not have "absolute Knowledge", if we need to continue to grow in Grace and Knowledge. If we had it all, how could we grow in it?

I had a very "old" sister called me to the side once and said: Brother Bob, there are times I doubt, does that mean I am not saved? I believe I am saved but yet even as old as I am, I do have doubts from time to time.

How would you have answered that Sister?

#26 Brother Bob, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. As I said before, we will never have absolute knowledge. There's a difference in knowing things truly and knowing all things; I believe we can know things truly while not having knowledge of all things (John 8:32).

2. I would say to her that it is common for Christians to have doubts from time to time. But then I will try to get her to trust in the blessed promises of God, beginning with "I will never leave you or forsake you."

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I like your answer, for that is exactly what I told her.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2: And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
    3: And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
    4: For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
    5: And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
    6: And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

I had read this post and then while I was reading a few minutes ago, I came across this passage of scripture from 2Peter chapter 2. God will let us believe anything we want to, i.e. the James Jones followers who drank poison kool-aid...those who died looking for the spaceship that was trailing a comet, etc. I ask God sometimes if I am doing His will. Not that I doubt Him, but any doubt is in me. I truly believe I am a child of the King, but satan does poke and prod me from time-to-time, causing me to doubt. This is when I call out to God and he affirms Himself to me...but, nevertheless, I do have doubts from time-to-time. That is just the "outerman" having the thorn in the flesh, I guess. May God bless us all.

Willis