1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Jack Schaap thinks sin is a joke

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by sanderson1769, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I am amazed at the inability to hear or read what he said.

1st idea in the sentence..."I hurt for them because the teenagers were looking to a godly man"

2nd idea in the sentence..."to a man of god as they called him."

Schaap called him a godly man, they called him a man of god.

A collaborative statement is in his belief that the pope was "a sincere man". Did not the pope sincerely consider himself to be either god himself, or a godly man? Why doesn't Schaap hurt for the teenagers because they were worshiping antichrist?

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I would recommend you obey the same counsel.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is obvious to anyone who speaks on a regular basis what he was saying. He whole context is how the young people felt about him. Those of us who speak regularly know that things do not always come out exactly the way we intend, but the meaning was as clear as a bell in context.

I wonder how many preachers would be willing to have their every word scrutinised to this extent? It is clear what he meant - Pastor Schaap clearly does not think the pope was a man of God.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

he didn't call the pope a godly man, but that the young people there looked to him and called him a godly man.
    Context.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

It is irresponsible and an obvious twisting to divide a quote in the middle of the sentence and impose your own wishes on it.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

I expected you would make such a silly statement.

Perhaps you'd care to go find what I've written on this very site about Hyles, Schaap and/or First Baptist of Hammond before spouting such nonsense.

I'm no apologist for them and my counsel to you still remains.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

:laugh:

I expected you would make such a silly statement about my alleged "silly statement".

I did not suggest you were an apologist for FBHammond and this is what makes this thread so curious. Most of you folks would rail against Hammond but as soon as one of them defends the pope, you join his side. 'tis a curious contradiction me thinks.

[Edit: added last paragraph]

#47 Rufus_1611, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

They are two different ideas contained within one sentence.

He said, "I'.

Then he said, he "hurts"

And the reason he said he "hurts" was "because the teenagers were looking to a godly man."

Then he went to a new idea, which was that the teenagers called him "a man of God".

If we are to look at context, as many of you have rightly encouraged, then review the context of the whole message. He called the pope a "sincere man" and discussed how challenging it is to lead a large congregation. The whole context of that portion of the message was a papal apology.

[Edit: Corrected quote]

#48 Rufus_1611, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One day Brer Fox thought of how Brer Rabbit had been cutting up his capers and bouncing around until he'd come to believe that he was the boss of the whole gang. Brer Fox thought of a way to lay some bait for that uppity Brer Rabbit.

He went to work and got some tar and mixed it with some turpentine. He fixed up a contraption that he called a Tar-Baby. When he finished making her, he put a straw hat on her head and sat the little thing in the middle of the road. Brer Fox, he lay off in the bushes to see what would happen.

Well, he didn't have to wait long either, 'cause by and by Brer Rabbit came pacing down the road--lippity-clippity, clippity-lippity--just as sassy as a jaybird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit came prancing along until he saw the Tar-Baby and then he sat back on his hind legs like he was astonished. The Tar-Baby just sat there, she did, and Brer Fox, he lay low.

"Good morning!" says Brer Rabbit, says he. "Nice weather we're having this morning," says he.

Tar-Baby didn't say a word, and Brer Fox, he lay low.

"How are you feeling this morning?" says Brer Rabbit, says he.

Brer Fox, he winked his eye real slow and lay low and the Tar-Baby didn't say a thing.

"What is the matter with you then? Are you deaf?" says Brer Rabbit, says he. "Cause if you are, I can holler louder," says he.

The Tar-Baby stayed still and Brer Fox, he lay low.

"You're stuck-up, that's what's wrong with you. You think you're too good to talk to me," says Brer Rabbit, says he. "And I'm going to cure you, that's what I'm going to do," says he.

Brer Fox started to chuckle in his stomach, he did, but Tar-Baby didn't say a word.

"I'm going to teach you how to talk to respectable folks if it's my last act," says Brer Rabbit, says he. "If you don't take off that hat and say howdy, I'm going to bust you wide open," says he.

Tar-Baby stayed still and Brer Fox, he lay low.

Brer Rabbit kept on asking her why she wouldn't talk and the Tar-Baby kept on saying nothing until Brer Rabbit finally drew back his fist, he did, and blip--he hit the Tar-Baby on the jaw. But his fist stuck and he couldn't pull it loose. The tar held him. But Tar-Baby, she stayed still, and Brer Fox, he lay low.

"If you don't let me loose, I'm going to hit you again," says Brer Rabbit, says he, and with that he drew back his other fist and blap--he hit the Tar-Baby with the other hand and that one stuck fast too.

Tar-Baby she stayed still, and Brer Fox, he lay low.

"Turn me loose, before I kick the natural stuffing out of you," says Brer Rabbit, says he, but the Tar-Baby just sat there.

She just held on and then Brer Rabbit jumped her with both his feet. Brer Fox, he lay low. Then Brer Rabbit yelled out that if that Tar-Baby didn't turn him loose, he was going to butt her crank-sided. Then he butted her and his head got stuck.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The amazing and great stroryteller, James Whitcomb Riley.

Bre'r Rabbit went on to say to Bre'r Fox, "Do whatever you want, just don't throw me in the brier patch!" Fling!! :laugh: :laugh:

"Bred and born in the brier patch!", said Bre'r Rabbit, w hen the briers freed him from the Tar-Baby.

My own late aunt, who also happened to be my fourth grade teacher used to read some stories in class, by James Whitcomb Riley, among others. I remember this one from now, 49 years ago.

Ed

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't you thankful for a great education that included all the classics!

I knew the ending, but just thought this part of the story was appropriate. :praying: :saint: :laugh:

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Please elaborate on how the story applied. Doesn't tar-baby refer to a sticky situation? Also, isn't "tar-baby" on the list of words you can't say anymore?

Romney Apologizes For 'Tar Baby'

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Saying he's a sincere man is equivalent to saying he's a godly man? What dictionary is that coming from?

What other meaning should I be taking from your comment?

Are you saying we're Catholic apologists?

You're not presenting an accurate quote.

Why didn't you quote him correctly? Why are you presenting only the words that support your position while ignoring the words that are contrary to it?

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

The pope may have been a sincere man...

... but he was sincerely wrong.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Just S Andersons type of thing, make a post to enflame and casue dissention and run.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

No one doubts that - including Pastor Schaap

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

Sanderson could not rebuke Schapp... it would not be Biblical.

Rebuke not an elder, but rather intreat him.

But it is also not Biblical to slander Schapp either.

I have listened to the message by Jack Schapp and I do tend to agree that Rufus may be right. Schapp's statement could be seen as Schapp seeing the pope as a godly man.

But, even if this were the case, as one poster stated earlier, 'How is this glorifying Christ?' Is the Body strengthened by tearing another down?

What needs to be done is the OP should call Schapp and tell him what he felt may have been misunderstood in the message and ask for clarification.

I did find a couple things interesting in the message. The congregation was told to turn to a certain page number for the reading of the Word (do they all have the exact same Bible? Is that a prerequisite for belonging to that fellowship?) Also, when talking about ministries in the church he said that he believed some were saved, but he would not put them in charge of children? I wonder why a saved person would not be trusted in such an area?

Just a few things I noticed.

Comments?

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not defending FBH - I am only defending honesty and integrity

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

No, which I did not say. I was citing it as another example of his hugs and cuddles to the pope.

One meaning would be that Sanderson was correct when he said Schaap called the pope a godly man.

I'm wondering. The pattern I see is, if Hammond preaches about KJVOnlyism, or standards in dress or music, they are criticized, if Hammond praises the pope, they are defended. I'm saying it is a curious pattern.

I broke down the quote which, I took accurately from the audio.

I quoted as much as I could with the time I had available and with what I perceived to be the relevant quotes. Perhaps you would desire to transcribe the whole 14 minutes so we don't take things out of context.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gasp! Are you calling Sanderson satan?!?

Sanderson, see how anybody can take comments out of context and twist them to say what they want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.